Tham Luang forest closed  indefinitely due to heavy damage

webfact

Tham Luang forest closed  indefinitely due to heavy damage 

By Thai PBS

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4AJtNOhGRC6qZFQcak3gDMIQ

Tham Luang Nang-Khun Nam Nang Non forest park has been closed indefinitely due to extensive damages caused to the park’s environment during the recent dramatic rescue operations. Forestry officials said the forest requires massive rehabilitation and restoration.

Mr Tunya Nititham, director-general of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, said today the Tham Luang cave which was the central point of the rescue operations had sustained extensive damages which could not be assessed yet because the cave is now fully flooded up to its entrance.

He disclosed that several equipment and materials used for rescue operations, such as electric wires had been left behind in the cave, adding that the cave’s surrounding areas had been bored with holes to drain out ground water and paved to make landing for helicopters and cave walls punched to divert water flow.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tham-luang-forest-closed-indefinitely-due-heavy-damage/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-17

With the inevitable influx of rubber neckers and opportunists wanting a piece of the cave's new-found celebrity status, I fear the park will forever suffer from over-tredding and over-consumption.

The title 'Eco Tourism' can be such an oxymoron.  Individuals who flock to such places for the natural beauty often contribute to the erosion of the very thing they seek.

I told ya so. 

By the time the place reopens the boys will be forgotten.

It's too far from anywhere for all but the most intrepid to trek for a rip off tourist experience  anyway,  and no other amusements that backpackers love,  discos with cheap buckets of moonshine etc. Unless,  some bright criminal spark starts flogging the other infamous products the triangle area produces... 

41 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

I told ya so. 

By the time the place reopens the boys will be forgotten.

It's too far from anywhere for all but the most intrepid to trek for a rip off tourist experience  anyway,  and no other amusements that backpackers love,  discos with cheap buckets of moonshine etc. Unless,  some bright criminal spark starts flogging the other infamous products the triangle area produces... 

Its just an hour away from Chiang rai and a few minutes away from the Myanmar border crossing and not too far from Pai

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Its just an hour away from Chiang rai and a few minutes away from the Myanmar border crossing and not too far from Pai

Chaing Rai and Pai, are in themselves a hike.  But the overarching  Thai assumption is that some rather unremarkable  caves will now be Thailand's answer to Fatima (a tourist bonanza built on the very dodgy basis of 'miracle' shepherd kids seeing a purported Holy vision) I'm not buying it, and neither will the world. 

4 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

Chaing Rai and Pai, are in themselves a hike.  But the overarching  Thai assumption is that some rather unremarkable  caves will now be Thailand's answer to Fatima (a tourist bonanza built on the very dodgy basis of 'miracle' shepherd kids seeing a purported Holy vision) I'm not buying it, and neither will the world. 

Chiang rai and Pai being  "hike" depends on where you are coming from .

Many tourists visit the area to see the Golden triangle and Ive never understood that , because theres nothing to see .

I havent noticed Thais seeing the caves as an answer to Fatima , they just expect an increase in people visiting the area , especially if they make a film about it , just look at how people reacted to James Bond island and the film "The beach"

OK , theres no beach involved in this story , but the caves will probably go from zero tourists to a handful

21 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

Me and my family were really looking forward to visiting. It was a bonanza event and a joining of the hands of the world. 

I understand why they are closing but I'm disappointed. 

We were going to visit the football club and the memorial museum. 

Probably we will still visit. Maybe go to the 7/11 or something. 

Mr Tunya Nititham, director-general of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, said today the Tham Luang cave which was the central point of the rescue operations had sustained extensive damages which could not be assessed yet because the cave is now fully flooded up to its entrance

How can you talk about extensive damages if the cave couldn't be assessed yet? 

6 hours ago, Radar501 said:

With the inevitable influx of rubber neckers and opportunists wanting a piece of the cave's new-found celebrity status, I fear the park will forever suffer from over-tredding and over-consumption.

The title 'Eco Tourism' can be such an oxymoron.  Individuals who flock to such places for the natural beauty often contribute to the erosion of the very thing they seek.

..just what the movie-makers want..peace and quiet.

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

Mr Tunya Nititham, director-general of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, said today the Tham Luang cave which was the central point of the rescue operations had sustained extensive damages which could not be assessed yet because the cave is now fully flooded up to its entrance

How can you talk about extensive damages if the cave couldn't be assessed yet? 

Agreed, but not a bad idea to close it until it CAN be assessed when the rainy season ends, say November?

By that time, human nature being what it is, the world at large will have forgotten about the whole episode, leaving the professionals to make clear decisions. Meanwhile, if any serious damage has been (accidentally) done during the rescue, nature will have taken its course. For example, if there are collapses in the cave or even at the entrance, it really won't matter if there is nobody inside.

12 hours ago, Radar501 said:

This may be the best reason for closing the forrest for the time being. Interest will fade after some time and although there will likely still be some people coming to claim their souvenir the numbers should be greatly reduced if a buffer period is put in place by the closure. 

So both the boys and the forrest will benefit by quickly returning to normalcy. This is a feel good story but is time for the final chapters to be written as the boys are released from the hospital and reintegrate into the society from which they emerged into celebrity.

3 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Sounds like what someone might write if they were putting in a claim for expenses. 

Well no doubt there will have to be a budget established... 

Archived