Do you lose weight when living in Thailand?

james1995

I am currently in the US right now and I've gained a bunch of weight.  Too much fast food here.  To be honest, it's not a healthy diet here and I'm ready to go back.  I find that I lose a good deal of weight when I'm living in Isaan with my wife.  The food in Isaan is mostly sticky rice and noodle soups.  It's hard to get fat eating stuff like that, especially since our home is in a rural area with no 7/11 nearby.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure its possible to lose weight for 32 years!  I'm sure you can get fat here if you try, many locals have done so in the last 20 years, go look at any school in the city and see the fat 12 year-olds. Taking a m'bike for every journey to the market or shop even when its only 200 yards away must help. Just like anywhere choosing what you eat and not eating too much of it is the answer.

i find eating out for food in Thailand is easy to do.  so many road side places, food stalls, etc.  Even the farang places are good.  I lose a little weight because I am more active as I walk a lot and swim a lot.  I love strolling around parks and places like Nong Nooch.  I do eat less american fast food while in Thailand that's for sure, and certainly drink more water due to the climate.  I can say that if in the USA there are some reasonably fast and easy and nutritious options in the USA.  While I like and have eaten way too many # 7 chicken sandwich combos with fries and a coke at Wendy's, there are other things out there.  Get a falafel sandwich with a greek salad or rice side from any of the middle eastern places around.  There are a couple of spaghetti ravioli drive throughs (fazolis?), plenty of rice bowl (even jack in the box has one.  Not great quality but sure is better than a double bacon burger!  And there are tons of frozen entries one can buy, that while not quite as tasty as fresh cooked fast food junk, certainly are decent.  Find some asian market and get any of dozens of stuffed dumpling frozen things.  Pop in microwave add some soy sauce and yippee.  So just look around, take a few minutes to survey where you live.  You might be surprised at what is out there.

When I moved to Thailand I found a condo with a small gym and began working out. The changes in body composition over time encouraged me to start being more selective about the foods I was eating. Over the period of about a year I lost almost 25kg and got my body fat level around 10%. I'm 53 years old now, still in SE Asia and have retained most of the weight loss for the past 5 years.

I think it would be possible to do this anywhere in the world, but the close proximity of a simple gym, reasonable food (beware there is a tonne of sugar in most Thai cooking), lots of sun and time by the pool, all helped me to achieve the result. 

When I moved to SE Asia years ago, I started to incrementally put on weight. I was never skinny but the large amounts of carbs in the form of rice and beer along with high amounts of sugar in surprising places (even on salads! in some places they rince salad in sugar water) I started putting on the pounds/kilos. It does not help that as you get older, you are inclined to put on more weight on the same amount of intake anyway.

The crisis came when I became immobile due to a medical condition and I could not take exercise. Before that, I played tennis a few times a week and that took care of the weight. Suddenly, you look at the scale and you are a very large person. Tried everything but only one diet worked, which was to cut out carbs and eat very little. No beer. No fruit (too much fructose in many fruits). This has taken me several years. It is truly amazing what little food I can eat and maintain my weight.

Thankfully I have become mobile again, mainly due to medication, and can cycle a little. This helps a lot. Because I eat so little, I have to supplement my diet with vitamins, especially Vitamin D because my condition depletes it. And I have finally have managed to lose a few pounds. But the temptations are everywhere. I manage to resist them because I know a few people who died here, mainly from weight related problems and diabetes, the latter resulted from obesity.

Yes, there are people who can drink beer every day and eat rice every day and maybe they have a slight belly but they are still 70 kg. There are other people who have exactly the same diet who are twice that weight! It depends on your genetic makup.

7 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I need to go on your diet. It is nearly impossible for me to put on weight here even though I need to. Even several beers every day does not work.

Many Thais are amazed at how little I eat and still fat. It just I eat the wrong stuff.

I have lost 18kg since my return to Thailand about a year ago, 16 kg of of which I have lost in last 7 months when I started. 1) walking 7-9000 steps a day 2) drinking 3-4 liters of water a day 3) no sugar except what is found in Thai dishes 4) no rice/noodles/pasta 5) heaps of veggies which give me all the carbs I need 6) meat that is found in Thai dishes and 7) no beer or spirits) and no deep fried foods.

I stuck to this for about 2 months and from then til now stick to it six days a week with one weekend day for eating anything I like. It is a game changer for me, as I think I can stick to it for life. Now I can step up my exercise routine as I feel more flexible and, of course, lighter. My knees and back feel great. 10kg more and my BMI will be met. 

Overall, I just feel better and only feel sluggish if I can't get my walk in. If you think about it Thai dishes have just the right amount of meat with a good sum of veggies. Go to any canteen/buffet style eateries, nix the rice and they will often give you more veggies. Most of the dishes, despite having sugar, offer a good amount of veggies, making it easy to stick to and it is a win win situation. I don't miss the rice. I enjoy my day off, but don't crave it the other six days. Now I am happy to lose 1kg a month. 

I lose weight (noticeably) here in Isaan.  My diet is lower in good protein, good fats and good vegetables here (and I'm a bit lazy to cook what I want/know I need).  Exercise is more cardio than weight training.  When I'm out of Thailand on a project, I eat like crazy (good balanced higher protein diet), and exercise differently.  Interesting that people comment how healthy and well I look when I return.  Very rapid for me to drop back down to 80-81kg (not that I'm trying) from a healthy 87-88Kg

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I put on weight in Thailand, beer every day. UK is usually spirits.

Fast food isn't a problem, I don't eat it anywhere.

Nothing wrong with social drinking, but IMO, drinking alcohol every day means there is a drinking problem.

My life style here is much the same (although much cheaper) as in England but as when I lived here until the mid 90's my weight slowly drops off, good job clothes are also cheap over here as the ones I brought with me are now too large!

Sticky rice and noodles will add to your weight problems, as will fast food, including soft drinks, so stick to H2o.

No carbs after lunch mate, a salad at night should sort it and you have to exercise to burn off the stored fat, otherwise you will keep adding.

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

You don't have to eat fast food, just because it's there !! Sounds like you lack will power, rather than access to healthy foods...

Humidity plays a big part. Hydration cooler conditions allows weight increase easier

I’m guessing that your wife is still in Thailand?if this is the case problem solved! Have a bat every night,this will burn a few calories.just remember to change hands so you don’t suffer any strain.i hope this bit of info helps.?

I have lived in nine different countries in Asia, Europe, the Middle East and North America. The only places I have lost weight were in the jungle in Vietnam and in the Philippines, but neither lasted too long. I like to eat, so I have found good food wherever I go. One of the prerequisites I have for a woman is that she can cook; but I can cook too. Here in Thailand, I eat Thai and Western food; however, my wife is a great cook, so anytime I want something I cannot find, she cooks it-- I love her cakes, pies and breads. I have always had to be active to not be big as a house.

Yes I definitely lose weight during my 7 months a year in Thailand. The following reasons;

1. Ambient heat causes a greater amount of water uptake and subsequent less water retention. Heat also reduces need to eat as much.

2. Far less “fatty” foods consumed. Cheese is so expensive and cost inhibits greater consumption. Same argument for bread and butter.

3.Availabilty of very good vegetable based food high in fibre.

4. Last, but not least... more exercise taken

+1

I eat more healthily (smaller portions and more fruit intake) get out more walking about (no car) gym every day here then sauna/steam then relax around a pool (daily hang out) up early most mornings for 5K beach walk which is one of the best parts of the day. 

Just an healthier lifestyle than cold/damp/dark Blighty!

Archived