Do you lose weight when living in Thailand?

james1995

20 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I am no expert on this, but IMO, if you are not an alcoholic now, I do not think you have a drink

problem, but again IMO, there is no excuse for anyone being drunk, if that's what happens when you drink heavy.

w00t ?!?

why would you drink if not for the purpose of getting drunk ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I was a porker after working in Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan for 4 years - spent 5 months in Thailand on a diet of Kai Dow, Khao Muen Kai twice  a day  (soft boiled eggs, steamed chicken & rice, 2 large Changs at night, and exercise/swimming............lost 24kgs  -  went back to work, and gained most of it it back again  -  no problem, I am due to stop working in a month, so I will lose it again  -  no will power when I 'See Food, I eat it'..............will power, where does it come from, can we buy it???  I'm 68, 94kgs 170 cent meters.  Don't tell me to stop drinking beer  -  I like the taste, I don't drink to get drunk.  Haven;t been drunk since 1995.

just replace 'willpower' [sic] with DNP and youre good to go

Living here over two years my weight went from 160 to 177. Wife's attention, great cooking  and over eating is a cause. I moved from SF Bay Area where I was exercising plenty. The weather here let's me even more exercise. Im thinking it is a weight gain mostly natural. Stopped drinking beer now a year back and the belly disappeared.

2 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Living here over two years my weight went from 160 to 177. Wife's attention, great cooking  and over eating is a cause. I moved from SF Bay Area where I was exercising plenty. The weather here let's me even more exercise. Im thinking it is a weight gain mostly natural. Stopped drinking beer now a year back and the belly disappeared.

is that pounds or kilos?

9 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I was a porker after working in Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan for 4 years - spent 5 months in Thailand on a diet of Kai Dow, Khao Muen Kai twice  a day  (soft boiled eggs, steamed chicken & rice, 2 large Changs at night, and exercise/swimming............lost 24kgs  -  went back to work, and gained most of it it back again  -  no problem, I am due to stop working in a month, so I will lose it again  -  no will power when I 'See Food, I eat it'..............will power, where does it come from, can we buy it???  I'm 68, 94kgs 170 cent meters.  Don't tell me to stop drinking beer  -  I like the taste, I don't drink to get drunk.  Haven;t been drunk since 1995.

Must be all that DFAC chow.  ?

7 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Yup, my Mrs is a star in the kitchen as well.  Thai, farang, baking, she does it all, which is fantastic, but enough for Dad's army.  Finally got her to consistently reduce portions.  That, cutting way down on beer intake, and exercise. 

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:15 PM, npboy99 said:

When I moved to Thailand I found a condo with a small gym and began working out. The changes in body composition over time encouraged me to start being more selective about the foods I was eating. Over the period of about a year I lost almost 25kg and got my body fat level around 10%. I'm 53 years old now, still in SE Asia and have retained most of the weight loss for the past 5 years.

I think it would be possible to do this anywhere in the world, but the close proximity of a simple gym, reasonable food (beware there is a tonne of sugar in most Thai cooking), lots of sun and time by the pool, all helped me to achieve the result. 

Absolutely no doubt that convenience plays a big part.  While I kind of used to like going out and driving to the gym, there is some energy there.  I am well past the age where I need to interact or fight with people over use of the equipment.  I am there to exercise not necessarily socialize.   Oh and did you catch that I used the word "driving"?  Walking is so much better, but rarely done in the USA, since we hop in our cars to go and take a shit!

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2018 at 9:18 AM, Dazinoz said:

Many Thais are amazed at how little I eat and still fat. It just I eat the wrong stuff.

Many Thais are amazed at how much I eat, but am still skinny than many of them. Ectomorph genes maybe?

It's kind of a curse in some ways because I need to eat like a pig just to maintain my weight. Otherwise, medium-size portions would make me lose weight when I don't want to.

Archived