We demand action! Pattaya foreigners complain damage from next door condo construction

webfact

12 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Buying here is not "an investment".  If that is ones justification for buying which it often is, they lack total knowledge of "investing" and the real estate market here .

Here, is mostly a slow drip of stagnant nothingness.

You can make so much more money actually "investing" in a true meaningful investment.

And, renting gives you total control.

If it got so bad I could walk away from a 20,000 b deposit no problem.

You would have a hard time walking away from that 2 million b condo "investment".

Yes but imagine u have 2-3 M bht cash then buying makes sense.. Why trust banks with ur money might as well put it in a condo..

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

And, renting gives you total control.

If it got so bad I could walk away from a 20,000 b deposit no problem.

You would have a hard time walking away from that 2 million b condo "investment".

I find it hard to imagine any Thai condo ever being a total loss.

When I bought mine I always assumed that at worst I would only ever have to take a 33% hit in order to sell it promptly, and I see no reason to doubt that today. Obviously I would rather not take that hit, but it would not be a problem if it did happen.

OK, if there was a worldwide financial meltdown, or even some local catastrophe, there could be no one left at all to buy it, but in such a situation I would probably lose a lot more elsewhere and the value of a condo here would be the least of my worries.

Buying a brand new car is a worse investment, I think, as they are all guaranteed to lose 50% of their value within a few years. And new cars here can easily cost more than a decent condo would.

10 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes but imagine u have 2-3 M bht cash then buying makes sense.. Why trust banks with ur money might as well put it in a condo..

??

Putting your money in a bank is not an investment...

Faceboook

Apple

Netflix

Mutual funds

Reit's

And Real estate but not in Thailand

These are a few examples of investments.

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I find it hard to imagine any Thai condo ever being a total loss.

When I bought mine I always assumed that at worst I would only ever have to take a 33% hit in order to sell it promptly, and I see no reason to doubt that today. Obviously I would rather not take that hit, but it would not be a problem if it did happen.

OK, if there was a worldwide financial meltdown, or even some local catastrophe, there could be no one left at all to buy it, but in such a situation I would probably lose a lot more elsewhere and the value of a condo here would be the least of my worries.

Buying a brand new car is a worse investment, I think, as they are all guaranteed to lose 50% of their value within a few years. And new cars here can easily cost more than a decent condo would.

If you want to sell, you better get to it before Arcadia Beach Condos are finished. That development is absolutely massive. You need to see it close up to appreciate how big it is.

17 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

??

Putting your money in a bank is not an investment...

Faceboook

Apple

Netflix

Mutual funds

Reit's

And Real estate but not in Thailand

These are a few examples of investments.

As KittenKong said, you can do OK even if you take a hit. Hindsight is 20-20, but if I'd know I was going to be here so long renting, I too would have bought something. Too late now though... after spending 3,600,000 on rent so far, with another 360,000 per year. In real value, it's much more than that as the early money was worth considerably more.

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

A good quality high blast fan will also work.

I bought a quality sleep sound machine on ebay..love it,but these loud scooters are getting worse and worse...

15 hours ago, tropo said:

He likes to think he's in control, but actually, you have more control renting than owning because it's easy to move.

Next, he's going to say he a very smart guy (sorry, he already said that) with an accurate crystal ball and he accounted for all unknown variables.

My last landlord is smart and very arrogant. A neighbour from hell moved in and started a laundry, now he can't sell. You can't even keep the windows open due to strong detergent/perfume smells that quickly inundate the house. Tried to get it shut down through the same channels the guy in the OP story tried (city hall) - no dice. A waste of time.

Another unknown happened too. The condo they built next door places their garbage bins right next to the carport. When the garbage truck arrives every morning, it sits right in front of the carport for 10 - 15 minutes (a lot of garbage to collect) and that black, foul-smelling garbage effluent seeps from under the truck downhill to a place directly in front of the front gate. What are you going to do about that? All I did was hose it away every morning in addition to sweeping up all the litter left behind from the garbage bins that were emptied..., and then the other neighbours downhill from me complained that I was washing garbage effluent to their houses.

Who’s moving, as I said I have lived in the same housing estate for 14 years.

Not sure what was meant regarding the smart guy/crystal ball waffle.

The issues that have been raised are directly related to pricing, it’s all proportional and you pay for what you get.

You can rent a house for less than 10,000 baht a month in Pattaya, much less for a condo (apartment).

I am sure the quality of neighbours will reflect.

3 hours ago, tropo said:

If you want to sell, you better get to it before Arcadia Beach Condos are finished. That development is absolutely massive. You need to see it close up to appreciate how big it is.

I dont live anywhere near there, thankfully, but I do know what it looks like.

If I did live near there then I would have been gone as soon as they got planning permission.

2 hours ago, rickjza said:

Who’s moving, as I said I have lived in the same housing estate for 14 years.

Not sure what was meant regarding the smart guy/crystal ball waffle.

The issues that have been raised are directly related to pricing, it’s all proportional and you pay for what you get.

You can rent a house for less than 10,000 baht a month in Pattaya, much less for a condo (apartment).

I am sure the quality of neighbours will reflect.

Where was it suggested that you're moving?

17 hours ago, tropo said:

As KittenKong said, you can do OK even if you take a hit. Hindsight is 20-20, but if I'd know I was going to be here so long renting, I too would have bought something. Too late now though... after spending 3,600,000 on rent so far, with another 360,000 per year. In real value, it's much more than that as the early money was worth considerably more.

No one is forcing anyone to pay that much to rent in LOS. That is a choice.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No one is forcing anyone to pay that much to rent in LOS. That is a choice.

I'm not complaining, just saying how much rent I would have saved if I had bought, and trying to explain to people who actually read what they reply to (unlike you), that taking a loss (selling out cheaper) is not the end of the world if you consider the rental alternative. You can still come out ahead.

In actual fact, paying that much rent is not a choice, but a necessity. I have standards that I require. Slumming it in Thailand was never my plan. You have yours and you pay for that level. We all have different levels. 

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

What happens a lot?  

Damage to next door properties from building developments..(no zoning..laundry's next door)

and the point of the  magazine scan was to show the attitude of some in Thailand toward "farang" making waves.

11 minutes ago, johng said:

Damage to next door properties from building developments..(no zoning..laundry's next door)

and the point of the  magazine scan was to show the attitude of some in Thailand toward "farang" making waves.

The magazine scan talked about foreigners starting a court case, not about damage to adjacent buildings. It said nothing about what the court case was over and I have no idea about that story from 2008. It's their legal right to hire lawyers and go to court, for whatever reason. Although that could be a waste of money, it's not indicative of bad behaviour. 

15 minutes ago, johng said:

The magazine scan didn't do that. Unless you can explain exactly why they went to court, it's irrelevant. I have no idea why they went to court. Perhaps you could elaborate.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

not about damage to adjacent buildings.

The "damage" was to the value of their property and their sea view...not to mention years of building dust and noise..I'm not sure if the case is still ongoing !!  there was a long thread on here about it  but I think it was deleted for some reason.

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

it's not indicative of bad behaviour.

Yes I agree,  but some others   think the "farangs" should just shut up and  like it or lump it ( ie  go home)

16 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

A reasonable expectation for ‘foreigners’ to obey the laws of the land or ......... off!

The ‘foreigners’ where/are trying to get  the laws of the land applied...they bough a condo with a nice sea view and thought the land in front was prohibited from any building over 14 meters tall being built, as there is a law about nothing tall within a 100 meters from the sea shore...low and behold now you can measure 100 meters out to sea from the sea shore  and use that as the starting point for that 100 meters measurement !

I believe the stalled Waterfront at Bali Hai  benefited from this new interpretation of 100 meters from MSL

8 minutes ago, johng said:

The "damage" was to the value of their property and their sea view...not to mention years of building dust and noise..I'm not sure if the case is still ongoing !!  there was a long thread on here about it  but I think it was deleted for some reason.

Yes I agree,  but some others   think the "farangs" should just shut up and  like it or lump it ( ie  go home)

The ‘foreigners’ where/are trying to get  the laws of the land applied...they bough a condo with a nice sea view and thought the land in front was prohibited from any building over 14 meters tall being built, as there is a law about nothing tall within a 100 meters from the sea shore...low and behold now you can measure 100 meters out to sea from the sea shore  and use that as the starting point for that 100 meters measurement !

I believe the stalled Waterfront at Bali Hai  benefited from this new interpretation of 100 meters from MSL

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know where you were going from the magazine snap alone.

I definitely don't agree with the "shut up or go home" mantra. As long as your feet are on Thai soil, you're governed by the same laws as Thai people and you have rights. These people who suggest they are troublemakers are people who have been lucky not to have had any problems, or in the case of the piece you posted from the magazine, a vested interest.

• 2 weeks later...

More of   the "farangs" should just shut up and  like it or lump it ( ie  go home)  attitude here.

Sanook reported that the residents have spent a lot of money on lawyers in fighting their case.

They have even been called "stupid" for buying houses in that area by the Arcadia management, they claimed.

Archived