Court refuses bail for ‘Phoenix’ owner and chief engineer

webfact

Court refuses bail for ‘Phoenix’ owner and chief engineer

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

37352033_10216644446773570_8129990658850

The ‘Phoenix’ boat captain, chief engineer and boat owner are now in custody at the Phuket Provincial Prison. The Thai ‘owner’ of ‘Phoenix’ remains in custody after she surrendered following the issuing of an arrest warrant over the weekend.

The Chalong Police have already pressed charges of a reckless act causing death, serious injuries, mental and bodily harm on the ‘Phoenix’ boat captain Somjing Boontham who remains in custody at the Phuket Provincial Prison as well.

Yesterday (July 16) 26 year old Woraluck Rueakchaiyakan, the registered Thai owner of ‘Phoenix’ and the vessel’s chief engineer, 56 year old Onan Kanhayotee, were in custody at the Phuket Provincial Court.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/court-refused-bailed-for-phoenix-owner-and-chief-engineer

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-17

I recall a deckhand  giving me grief when I simply asked  to have in hand a life preserver a few years back.

We were on the ferry headed to Ko Larn and my companion  didn't know how to swim.

Safety is a ways off in the Kingdom.

It'll be interesting to find out who really owned the boat.

I'll bet he's scrambling right now.

Anyone want to bet on who owns it?

Just wonder why they never put a bus and minivan drivers behind bars, after causing carnage ?

Not even asking about their bosses... 

All about saving face towards the Chinese tourism industry now.

From "The Thaiger"

Questions that'll like remain unanswered.

"Who ticked off on the design of ‘Phoenix’ – that the boat would be suitable for carrying up to 100 passengers and crew, safely? Who checked the construction of the boat as it was being built, and then when it was completed and launched to ensure that all the requirements of the engine, construction, engineering, equipment and safety equipment were met? Who was responsible for the qualifications of the Captain and crew and their fitness to handle a vessel of this size with up to 100 passengers? What safety training did the crew receive to handle an emergency? And who ticked off on their certification of ‘Phoenix’ – the final paperwork allowing to operate at sea as a tour boat?

For the company that owned ‘Phoenix’ – allegedly a Thai shelf company with a Thai nominee holding the majority shares but actually being controlled by Chinese citizens – who was checking the bonfides of the company structure? There’s little use accusing the Chinese money trail behind the company when there are laws in place preventing this type of thing from happening. Which accountant signed off on these company documents?"

Lots of dead bodies.

2 hours ago, Deli said:

Just wonder why they never put a bus and minivan drivers behind bars, after causing carnage ?

Because it's always the failing brakes which are responsible, or the entire vehicle which "lost control" ...

7 hours ago, watcharacters said:

From "The Thaiger"

Questions that'll like remain unanswered.

"Who ticked off on the design of ‘Phoenix’ – that the boat would be suitable for carrying up to 100 passengers and crew, safely? Who checked the construction of the boat as it was being built, and then when it was completed and launched to ensure that all the requirements of the engine, construction, engineering, equipment and safety equipment were met? Who was responsible for the qualifications of the Captain and crew and their fitness to handle a vessel of this size with up to 100 passengers? What safety training did the crew receive to handle an emergency? And who ticked off on their certification of ‘Phoenix’ – the final paperwork allowing to operate at sea as a tour boat?

For the company that owned ‘Phoenix’ – allegedly a Thai shelf company with a Thai nominee holding the majority shares but actually being controlled by Chinese citizens – who was checking the bonfides of the company structure? There’s little use accusing the Chinese money trail behind the company when there are laws in place preventing this type of thing from happening. Which accountant signed off on these company documents?"

Lots of dead bodies.

It is a shame I can only give one like.......Definitely nailed it on the head.....and i have been a boatbuilder for the last 40 plus years......a post well put together, but unfortunately we all know the answer......

Image result for Baht images

So the Chinese hubby who actually owns the boat company, as opposed to his in-name Thai wife main shareholder, isn't coming to rescue his beloved one from jail and take responsibility???? Shocking!!!

Last report I read here, I believe it said the Chinese guy was out of the country...  Although in this case, if he were back in China, the Chinese authorities if they can find him might well be willing to extradite him back to Thailand to face charges.

Archived