BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pilotman

Expats who want to leave, if they could

Now here is a question; to all you  expats, in all seriousness, how many of you would leave  Thailand if you could, or regret ever coming here in the first place?  For myself, I'm ambivalent at best  and have yet to settle to the idea of LOS as my 'final destination' in life. Maybe that will come, but, increasingly,  I'm not at all sure that it will.  The reasons are many and various, but I guess in the round, the serenity of retirement is missing somehow.   Too many hassles impinge on my life. 

Happy here....

We travel + also RV around my birth country 2-3 months a year....

Always good to come back....

All hassles in Thailand can be eliminated with money. So you're just not doing it right.

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

All hassles in Thailand can be eliminated with money. So you're just not doing it right.

That's an appealing thought, right up until there's something that can't be solved in Thailand with the funds available.  Sure, the base needs and impulses can be met quite handily with enough cash.  But not all needs, and cash doesn't always last as long as retirement.

What about missing family left behind, or the realization that it is tough to build a functional support network while surrounded mostly by fellow expats feeding their base desires for sex and booze, and locals whose economic reality has them looking at us like cash cows?

And there's no safety net for many guys who, through poor planning, bad luck, or scheming wives, lose their money.  At least back home, there's always a way to bring in a few bucks without having to keep your head down so you're not grassed up for WP violations, or for pursuing forbidden occupations.

I'm in the process of repatriating after working for around 7 years in Thailand.  I may be back.  But in the meantime, I'm going to see how it is back home, re-introduce myself to family I haven't seen in many years, work a few more years while I can, and then decide where to retire. 

I count my Thailand adventure as a positive in my life.  But I miss a lot of things back home that aren't available in Thailand at any price.  Maybe I won't like it back in Texas.  But I liked it there fine before I moved to Asia for the paycheck.

I have always believed that all of us given the choice would rather have a great life back in one's own land, if money was no object and had family etc.

What person in their own country who had everything a man needed and was happy with his lot woke up one morning and thought 'I think I'll move to Thailand'?

I resemble that remark but I'm getting to the place where I'm almost fully resigned to the fact that it's extremely unlikely I'll ever have a better setup than I have now in Thailand either back in the USA (too expensive, reverse culture shock) or in a Latin American alternative (I suck at foreign languages). Actually, likely not even close to as good.

Maybe that can change on a dime (like some crap happening here forcing me out and that's always possible, expats are generally NOT secure here).

So Thailand, deeply flawed as it is, may indeed be the best of all possible worlds for me.

Yeah if I won a big lottery, ba-bye.

24 minutes ago, Maradona 10 said:

I have always believed that all of us given the choice would rather have a great life back in one's own land, if money was no object and had family etc.

What person in their own country who had everything a man needed and was happy with his lot woke up one morning and thought 'I think I'll move to Thailand'?

You believed wrong then.

I do often joke to people that I'm STUCK here.

But it's not so much really a joke.

My Grandpa used to say the old cliche -- you've made your bed, now lie in it.

Well my bed is in Thailand.

He also said Good luck because you're gonna need it.

Rude bugger he was. 

I'm sure lots of expats especially retired ones are in similar Thai boats, but not all of them will actually admit it (or self aware enough to realize it). 

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You believed wrong then.

Haha. That actually took a bit longer than expected. Nobody up's sticks gives up everything at home if they are happy with everything and absconds to Thailand. End of chat.

Love Thailand. Dirt cheap here. Never going back to USA.  And I had everything you could ask for there. Sold it all.

I live 100 meters from the beach in a rented three bedroom compound in a Thai neighborhood.

I don't live around Farangs. that makes me happy.

Maybe the op should visit Hua Hin. Not so many sexpats here. Sort of boring in a good way.

Many married Farang/Thai couples here to socialize with. And many positive activities.

Don't forget to exercise so you don't get too depressed. and don't get played by you know who.

you are the boss of you.

54 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's an appealing thought, right up until there's something that can't be solved in Thailand with the funds available.  Sure, the base needs and impulses can be met quite handily with enough cash.  But not all needs, and cash doesn't always last as long as retirement.

What about missing family left behind, or the realization that it is tough to build a functional support network while surrounded mostly by fellow expats feeding their base desires for sex and booze, and locals whose economic reality has them looking at us like cash cows?

And there's no safety net for many guys who, through poor planning, bad luck, or scheming wives, lose their money.  At least back home, there's always a way to bring in a few bucks without having to keep your head down so you're not grassed up for WP violations, or for pursuing forbidden occupations.

I'm in the process of repatriating after working for around 7 years in Thailand.  I may be back.  But in the meantime, I'm going to see how it is back home, re-introduce myself to family I haven't seen in many years, work a few more years while I can, and then decide where to retire. 

I count my Thailand adventure as a positive in my life.  But I miss a lot of things back home that aren't available in Thailand at any price.  Maybe I won't like it back in Texas.  But I liked it there fine before I moved to Asia for the paycheck.

"it is tough to build a functional support network while surrounded mostly by fellow expats feeding their base desires for sex and booze"

Go live somewhere else so you are not surrounded by them but by people who live a normal live here.

59 minutes ago, impulse said:

Maybe I won't like it back in Texas.  But I liked it there fine before I moved to Asia for the paycheck.

Why is it that so my expats point to "scheming wives"?  If someone is stupid enough to marry someone without knowing the person or eyes wide open then it is really the "scheming" wife  to be blamed?  Bad wives and and bad husbands in every country; seems expats are quick to blame their bad luck on others when they have only themselves to blame.  (Sorry, bit of a soapbox I know.  Just find the blame game all too easy here.)

Funny enough, we (Thai wife and 2 wonderful kids) are moving to Texas this year as well.  

I dont regret coming here but I have no intention of staying here forever. I dont like the weather for a start, and I dont like the dishonesty and greed either.

It would be a very sad planet if Thailand was the best place on it.

Geez all the whining and crying about feeling like you are trapped. Just stop the way you are thinking you where thinking the same way when you moved to Thailand. I am trapped here at home I need a change. After a few years in Thailand the new wears off and you are back to the same place that brought you here to start with