BANGKOK 21 March 2019 04:09
Pilotman

Expats who want to leave, if they could

2 hours ago, fellig said:

Sounds good, thanks. Is it relatively easy to cross the Laos border?

2 photo's,  passport  1 page sticker   1,500 baht   change your money at the booth,  buy with baht  30 dollars  ( about 1,250 baht)   pay in dollars--fill in 2 forms.  even 1 day,   you do the same for 30 days.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Udon, hotter than hell and twice as humid.

Laos border crossing 1,500bht or $35.

OTT reply, one of the coolest Nov-Feb......Where isn't it hot  in this part of the world  ??    shade and air con---easy

17 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Riverwood (English spoken majority) and Sans Souci (English majority) are obviously fine if you speak English.

It’s noted that you didn’t visit Hurstville (majority China) and Lakemba (majority Arabic) - which were the areas referred to.

Obviously my area covered from Botany Bay to Riverwood.

Lovely Chinese meals in Hurstville..lots of Turkish/Arabic restaurants from Arncliffe thru to  Bexley.

Great place to live if you weren't into meat and 3 veg..(dull to the point of asinine stupefaction)

Edited by Odysseus123

people came here for the good quality and cheap food, the feeling they were welcome by the people and the authorities.. and of course cheap fresh pussy...

...but people will now leave and as the fresh pussy is wanting more,, ....the authorities make foreigners feel unwelcome, visa hassles, extorsio/harassment by the police at road blocks or at immigration, dual pricing towards farangs, the taxi cheats..... etc..

yes it's worse either in Manchester or Paris or where ever....but who said these expats will go back home ?....they will start to settle in neighbouring Asian countries that make a foreigner feel more welcome.....I know at least 3 foreign expat couple, single and familiy,  who have done so since the last 12 months.

all part of the game....

• Like 1

After 20 + years here and a few attempt to move back ...….but after 3 months up there.....I just hope the health will hold me trough the final part of life here? 

4 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

After 20 + years here and a few attempt to move back ...….but after 3 months up there.....I just hope the health will hold me trough the final part of life here? 

There's always the balcony!

Obviously my area covered from Botany Bay to Riverwood.

Lovely Chinese meals in Hurstville..lots of Turkish/Arabic restaurants from Arncliffe thru to  Bexley.

Yes, great DINING indeed in those Arabic & Chinese dominated areas of Sydney.

Back on topic... Like I say, I could never return to LIVE in Hurstville or Lakemba because I don’t speak Mandarin or Arabic.

5 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Yes, great DINING indeed in those Arabic & Chinese dominated areas of Sydney.

Back on topic... Like I say, I could never return to LIVE in Hurstville or Lakemba because I don’t speak Mandarin or Arabic.

French.Italian or German?

On 7/17/2018 at 9:26 AM, thedemon said:

All hassles in Thailand can be eliminated with money.

That's  hearsay. If you can't acclimate, you're doomed no matter how much money you have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ginjag said:

2 photo's,  passport  1 page sticker   1,500 baht   change your money at the booth,  buy with baht  30 dollars  ( about 1,250 baht)   pay in dollars--fill in 2 forms.  even 1 day,   you do the same for 30 days.

As far as I know $35 or 1,500bht.

3 hours ago, Weasel100 said:

And I also have to say that it a huge advantage for me to have my Thai wife who is obviously fluent in her own language.
It's interesting that when we met my little wife had a very different attitude to business dealings with Thais. Now, after some six years together, she gets increasingly exasperated and borders on angry with the Thais that she deals with on our behalf and who try to rip me off via her. And trust me, this happens almost all the time.
I am not a stupid person and I do my research and try to get things nailed down before I enter into business transactions with Thais. But, even when I have believed that my wife and I have a proper understanding with a Thai who is to do work for us, lies and deceptions almost always follow and it's always me who ends up being ripped off, despite my efforts to avoid that happening. 
Thanks again for your comments and your element of support for what I was trying to say in my original post.

Ever thought that your Thai wife is the problem... and because you can't understand what Thai people (including you wife) are saying in front of you very face you just believe her that EVER Thai is ripping you off?  

We are a farang couple.  No Thai wife.  I learnt to speak Thai because I needed too. In 12 years living here full time, building 3 houses, living in various rented places, and all areas of buying things I have NEVER been ripped off or lied to.  In fact, I found the Thai people, and the Burmese builders, very trustworthy.  The only habit they have that is frustrating is if there is some problem they are shy to say anything about it and this causes confusion and misunderstands about motives, as they are afraid to tell us things like mistakes or that will disappoint us because of loss of face stuff. 

Concerning your relationship.... stop relying on your Thai wife to baby you!!!

Because I can speak Thai I have witnesses on several occasions a Farang husband being lied to by their (usually X bar girl) wife... when they are saying to the husband they need more money for building work, purchases, services etc, then the Thai people are asking for, and the husband blindly believing her.. and falling out with the other Thai people, neighbours and relatives. 

I have also seen the husband instruct the wife to tell the Thai workers or shop staff something... then she tells them something totally different... only to tell the husband she did what he asked, and he gets angry at the poor Thai people trying to do their job... (and they will not want to upset the farang wife either due to the face thing).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

...but people will now leave and as the fresh pussy is wanting more,, ....the authorities make foreigners feel unwelcome, visa hassles, extorsio/harassment by the police at road blocks or at immigration, dual pricing towards farangs, the taxi cheats..... etc..

I'm sorry to hear that you feel like this. I have never encountered any of the issues you mention (maybe the "pussy wanting more", but that's easy solved).

Try move to another part of Thailand. :smile:

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

people came here for the good quality and cheap food, the feeling they were welcome by the people and the authorities.. and of course cheap fresh pussy...

yes it's worse either in Manchester or Paris or where ever....but who said these expats will go back home ?....they will start to settle in neighbouring Asian countries that make a foreigner feel more welcome.....I know at least 3 foreign expat couple, single and familiy,  who have done so since the last 12 months.

all part of the game....

Where? the pick of a bad bunch is Vietnam but bad infrastructure and unbelievable noise pollution in main cities, no gogo gogo !!

Second would be Philippines whit a madman at the helm with crazy violence and most expats terrified of pattaya so forget Philippines..oh and crap food

No thanks

What expats here need to do is eliminate whats making them unhappy and what keeps popping up are the Thais themselves. Well thats what happens when a westerner jumps in blindly usually forced to follow the wife into some small town dump or village and then wonder why they can no longer deal with it..

Edited by fathersicksendmoney

7 minutes ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

Where? the pick of a bad bunch is Vietnam but bad infrastructure and unbelievable noise pollution in main cities, no gogo gogo !!

Second would be philipines whit a madman at the helm and off and most expats terrified of pattaya so forget phillipes

No thanks

What expats here need to do is eliminate whats making them unhappy and what keeps popping up are the Thais themselves. Well thats what happens when a westerner jumps in blindly usually forced to follow the wife into some small town dump or village and then wonder why they can no longer deal with it..

I liked the little villages-on the other hand I thought that (take Pattaya for example) the cities were dirty,filthy and horrendous..

Give me a Thai village any time...

DSCN9877.JPG

DSCN9897.JPG

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1