Expats who want to leave, if they could

Pilotman

Now here is a question; to all you  expats, in all seriousness, how many of you would leave  Thailand if you could, or regret ever coming here in the first place?  For myself, I'm ambivalent at best  and have yet to settle to the idea of LOS as my 'final destination' in life. Maybe that will come, but, increasingly,  I'm not at all sure that it will.  The reasons are many and various, but I guess in the round, the serenity of retirement is missing somehow.   Too many hassles impinge on my life. 

Sounds like you are looking for an excuse.
I don’t need to troll your own posts.
Recently though I think you said “if you had not made a promise to a woman” you would never consider Thailand anymore.
Stuff it.
Get on with your life.
Go back to your country.
You probably won’t be missed and you don’t owe anything here to anyone.
  • Confused 3

as far as i can tell...all depends on what presents....luck of the Thai draw? I am always heartened to hear of those for whom the cards fell right in their re-moval to Thailand. It hasn't quite worked for me yet and so back-to-base to reconfigure. Strange...very strange lol. More the money the better perhaps AND a wise (VERY wise and careful) attitude to what can be possible relative to conditions on the ground.

Its accommodation mainly that keeps me here,no way could I afford the rent back in UK as I have this house now,but truly I'm pissed off.Money no object ,to a point,good pensions,got the mutts(another reason I'm stuck here) but yes,come up on the UK lottery Id be out of here like yesterday  (just bought tickets for tonight's draw  European lottery)

2 hours ago, impulse said:

And 5,000 GBP to get set up with an apartment and furniture and another 2,500 GBP to buy a beater car to tide you over, and if you're American, another $1,000 USD a month for health insurance (and hope it covers you since you had some work done in Thailand), and..and..

It's not hard to see how some people end up feeling trapped wherever they happen to live, be it Thailand or a city back home where their last job left them stranded when they were downsized.

Most of the western world has free health care for their entire life, America is an anomaly in western civilization.

Nobody needs a car either, a bicycle is fine. Rent a caravan, trailers are nice these days.

Why does everyone expect the best of everything, right from the get go?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, altcarrbob said:

Its accommodation mainly that keeps me here,no way could I afford the rent back in UK as I have this house now,but truly I'm pissed off.Money no object ,to a point,good pensions,got the mutts(another reason I'm stuck here) but yes,come up on the UK lottery Id be out of here like yesterday  (just bought tickets for tonight's draw  European lottery)

Loads of cheap rentals up North, Newcastle isn't that bad.

Then you could try France or Spain.

30 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You might find it hard to believe, but there are those of us out there who had it all, all meaning what, possessions, but no quality of life, and one day we woke up and sold it all for a better quality of life here in Thailand Vs working 5/7th of your life for that a big salary of $170k plus a year, for no quality of life, paying high taxes to support others, Medicare levies and the cost of living to just reducing that figure even more, and if you had a mortgage, you were left with even less.

Early retirement by 10 years has allowed me to enjoy taking in the fresh country air, has eliminated stresses that I used to have in my life, (non existent) since I moved here, paying no taxes on investments to support others which literally gives me what I was on after taxes, Medicare levies, etc etc.

I do how I want, when I want, and to know that I have enough money on a comfortable monthly budget that will last me till I am 101 adds to my quality of life here.

I return every 18 months where I was born in Sydney for a week, that is enough, I visit mum, my adult daughter and some close friends, none of them are happy, mum who is 83 is constantly complaining that she cannot survive on the pension, my daughter is stressed out seeing what is coming for her future, my friends complain of the cost of living and taxes they pay.

Here I sit in the morning drinking my coffee with Mrs happy of 11 years, smelling the fresh air, listening to no cars or bikes going by, just watching the beautiful butterflies as they make their way past us.

I am in no rush to go anywhere, why would I ?

The problem with most Xpats, and excuse the truth because it hurts, is the majority of xpats didn't plan for their retirement, they drank their wages, now drinking the pension and have nothing to fall back on, personally if I had to depend on the pension to survive, I too would be depressed too, so saying "who are we trying to kid fella", is disingenuine, we are content, and will remain here as long as we are allowed to remain, that said, we can also up and leave at anytime to a new destination, why, because we have the funds to do it, "it does actually makes sense", if you can see past your disbelief and jealousy. 

For those thinking going back is going to make them happy, well happiness is within, and with full pockets 555

Good rant. As for 'fresh air' ha ha..you live in an oven. Anyhow, enjoy the butterflies, lol.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Maradona 10 said:

For those thinking going back is going to make them happy, well happiness is within, and with full pockets 555

As mentioned good rant

I can see exactly were your coming from

But I must say one thing 

If you were able to earn 170K most your life then you shouldn't have a problem

I'm an Auss & certainly understand about their Taxes & Levies 

Some Aussies went back to qual for Pension & they certainly didn't get anywhere near a major city to rent 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

As mentioned good rant

I can see exactly were your coming from

But I must say one thing 

If you were able to earn 170K most your life then you shouldn't have a problem

I'm an Auss & certainly understand about their Taxes & Levies 

Some Aussies went back to qual for Pension & they certainly didn't get anywhere near a major city to rent 

I wasn't earning $170k for most of my life, more around the $100k, but the last few years during the housing boom did help as there were less qualified people in the work I was doing, so the bucks went up, now that the housing market has gone down, 2 years after I retired, the bucks have gone down, so the timing was perfect.

Yes, for those going back to get the pension, they have to live well away from any City, a one bedroom modern apartment about 10 kilometres south of Sydney for example, at a place called Wolli Creek would set you back $500 a week minimum, that said, its more than the pension pays.

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I wasn't earning $170k for most of my life, more around the $100k, but the last few years during the housing boom did help as there were less qualified people in the work I was doing, so the bucks went up, now that the housing market has gone down, 2 years after I retired, the bucks have gone down, so the timing was perfect.

Yes, for those going back to get the pension, they have to live well away from any City, a one bedroom modern apartment about 10 kilometres south of Sydney for example, at a place called Wolli Creek would set you back $500 a week minimum, that said, its more than the pension pays.

Do they have butterfly's and coffee?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
2 hours ago, impulse said:

And 5,000 GBP to get set up with an apartment and furniture and another 2,500 GBP to buy a beater car to tide you over, and if you're American, another $1,000 USD a month for health insurance (and hope it covers you since you had some work done in Thailand), and..and..

It's not hard to see how some people end up feeling trapped wherever they happen to live, be it Thailand or a city back home where their last job left them stranded when they were downsized.

Most of the western world has free health care for their entire life, America is an anomaly in western civilization.

Nobody needs a car either, a bicycle is fine. Rent a caravan, trailers are nice these days.

Why does everyone expect the best of everything, right from the get go?

I'd hardly characterize a 2,500 GBP beater as "the best of everything".  More like the minimum safe transport for those who don't choose to live in the middle of a city where amenities are within cycling distance.  Especially if you intend to get a job, which may not end up being within a short cycle of home.  I don't know about your profession, but folks who cycle into their interview in my field don't generally get serious consideration.

Edit: And there is no "free health care".  Anywhere.  It may be "included" in the services you pay taxes for, or paid by others if you're destitute in a civilized country (which excludes the USA).  But it isn't free.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, altcarrbob said:

Bit off-topic but can you buy tickets for Euro Lottery without residence there?

Living in Thailand I haven't had to work or be an employee. Living in England would cost more so  I would have to work and maybe be an employee jumping through somebody else's hoops.

However , if I was stinking rich so that I didn't have to work but could have everything I wanted , then as Madonna says ,it would probably be different.

I would live in the UK and just have eleven and a half months  holidays in South East Asia.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You might find it hard to believe, but there are those of us out there who had it all, all meaning what, possessions, but no quality of life, and one day we woke up and sold it all for a better quality of life here in Thailand Vs working 5/7th of your life for that a big salary of $170k plus a year, for no quality of life, paying high taxes to support others, Medicare levies and the cost of living to just reducing that figure even more, and if you had a mortgage, you were left with even less.

Early retirement by 10 years has allowed me to enjoy taking in the fresh country air, has eliminated stresses that I used to have in my life, (non existent) since I moved here, paying no taxes on investments to support others which literally gives me what I was on after taxes, Medicare levies, etc etc.

I do how I want, when I want, and to know that I have enough money on a comfortable monthly budget that will last me till I am 101 adds to my quality of life here.

I return every 18 months where I was born in Sydney for a week, that is enough, I visit mum, my adult daughter and some close friends, none of them are happy, mum who is 83 is constantly complaining that she cannot survive on the pension, my daughter is stressed out seeing what is coming for her future, my friends complain of the cost of living and taxes they pay.

Here I sit in the morning drinking my coffee with Mrs happy of 11 years, smelling the fresh air, listening to no cars or bikes going by, just watching the beautiful butterflies as they make their way past us.

The problem with most Xpats, and excuse the truth because it hurts, is the majority of xpats didn't plan for their retirement, they drank their wages, now drinking the pension and have nothing to fall back on, personally if I had to depend on the pension to survive, I too would be depressed too, so saying "who are we trying to kid fella", is disingenuine, we are content, and will remain here as long as we are allowed to remain, that said, we can also up and leave at anytime to a new destination, why, because we have the funds to do it, "it does actually makes sense", if you can see past your disbelief and jealousy. 

Nice post.

• Like 2

Also another reason people move away from their home land & can't go back

If they have had a bad run, could be many things EG; Divorce X how many / Child maintenance / unforseen debts / spasmodic employment / discrimination to gain employment due to injury / ect/ect

This is typical Auss

Oh & not forgetting that the cost of living is so expensive along with the rentals, there is a greater number of citizens trapped in the rental cycle

Then by the time they finish their working life rely on the Pension which would not cover their needs & the Auss Gov still can't work out why even though there have actually been (maybe ) 4 corner news segments on this 

If your mum is struggling to make ends meet on her pension why not help her out? I would not have had second thoughts about helping my mum out financially.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1