BANGKOK 21 February 2019 17:32
Pilotman

Expats who want to leave, if they could

12 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

no she doesnt

Yes, she does. LOL. You must be very confused.

Edited by tropo

14 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

no she doesnt

1 minute ago, tropo said:

Yes, she does.

Yes and no!

With my wife she thinks it's hers but I know it's mine.

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

Yes, she does. LOL. You must be very confused.

no I'm not

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Yes and no!

With my wife she thinks it's hers but I know it's mine.

That's good that you have it under control.

Just now, tropo said:

That's good that you have it under control.

not a matter of control, just good judgement

8 hours ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

I guess you just ignored the junk to the right of the pic? that toilet brush says it all really ?

And thats just one pic. The rest of the village will be the same...ENJOY

Hmmm..I guess each person sees what they want to see.

When I first looked, all I saw were two middle-aged ladies with what seem to be genuine smiles.

It took me a couple 'looks' and I had to look hard to see the toilet brush

Such is life I guess

• Like 2

gots 1 million net worth conservatively invested earning about $60,000 USD  a year in passive income, dividends/interest, much of which is tax free being municipal bonds and funds, or ROTH IRA distributions.  Still working since I get paid quite well, and medical and dental totals $84/month!  Enjoy my engineering job(s) in the USA, now living in Florida.  Loved hanging out in Thailand.  Been there 14 times, staying as much as 60 days continuously at times between contracting gigs.  Do I want to spend a lot of time in Thailand?  Absolutely.  Would I want to spend no time in the USA?  Almost certainly not.   Will make the decision next year.  I need one year to get enough time with the company to get vested in the retirement plan and keep the company matching contributions.  I don't need that, but it seems not smart to quit one year early and give up over $35,000 of 401k matching monies.  Still single, no health problems at age 61.  Social Security is looming soon.  Medicare at 65 still a few years off.  Current medical premiums if outside of work in Florida for me would be $850/month!  Crazy.  So that is a factor.  If I leave the company, I would possibly leave the USA for a few years, buy cheaper reasonable medical in Thailand for a few years.  Just a thought.

6 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

gots 1 million net worth conservatively invested earning about $60,000 USD  a year in passive income, dividends/interest, much of which is tax free being municipal bonds and funds, or ROTH IRA distributions.  Still working since I get paid quite well, and medical and dental totals $84/month!  Enjoy my engineering job(s) in the USA, now living in Florida.  Loved hanging out in Thailand.  Been there 14 times, staying as much as 60 days continuously at times between contracting gigs.  Do I want to spend a lot of time in Thailand?  Absolutely.  Would I want to spend no time in the USA?  Almost certainly not.   Will make the decision next year.  I need one year to get enough time with the company to get vested in the retirement plan and keep the company matching contributions.  I don't need that, but it seems not smart to quit one year early and give up over $35,000 of 401k matching monies.  Still single, no health problems at age 61.  Social Security is looming soon.  Medicare at 65 still a few years off.  Current medical premiums if outside of work in Florida for me would be $850/month!  Crazy.  So that is a factor.  If I leave the company, I would possibly leave the USA for a few years, buy cheaper reasonable medical in Thailand for a few years.  Just a thought.

what is paying 6% interest or dividends these days?

17 hours ago, Weasel100 said:

Sad isn't it that, for many of us, life here is only made tolerable by, variously it appears, alcohol or something stronger or masturbation.
Look, I'm not truly unhappy here or I WOULD pack up and go home. It's just that there is so much about Thai society and Thai people and the Thais' couldn't give a shit attitude that just drives me crazy. This could be a much better country if the majority of Thai people were honest in their business dealings, stopped lying all the time (and let's not have any of that crap about lying being acceptable in this culture as a face saving device - lying is lying is lying), if Government actually gave a shit about road safety, if the Police were not corrupt to the core and if Thailand had a forward looking attitude to the world and its place in it.

Speaking for myself I can't wait to get back to Thailand. I appreciate it for what is good about it, of which there are many many things. That it is not like the country I come from makes me appreciate it that much more. I am not so full of hubris that I would tell a country, much older than my own, what it OUGHT to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

what is paying 6% interest or dividends these days?

DIV, SDIV, SRET, IRT, IGR, WFCpD, ..Philip Morris 5.64%, BX....

Just now, moontang said:

DIV, SDIV, SRET, IRT, IGR, WFCpD, ..Philip Morris 5.64%, BX....

which one of those is a municipal bond?

2 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

which one of those is a municipal bond?

bond ETFs:  EVV, HYT, PCI..

Edited by moontang

8 minutes ago, moontang said:

bond ETFs:  EVV, HYT, PCI....

municipal bond trusts? yielding 6%. cant find em