BANGKOK 22 February 2019 19:13
Pilotman

Expats who want to leave, if they could

57 minutes ago, The manic said:

Money can't buy weather 

Where can I buy some cold weather? I'm with Naam - it's the one thing about Thailand I don't like.

On 7/21/2018 at 6:01 AM, The manic said:

I bet you have a great Christmas day!

Not as good as the wife and kids. 

On 7/17/2018 at 11:36 AM, Maradona 10 said:

I have always believed that all of us given the choice would rather have a great life back in one's own land, if money was no object and had family etc.

What person in their own country who had everything a man needed and was happy with his lot woke up one morning and thought 'I think I'll move to Thailand'?

Maybe one that do not sell all, and wants to have some experience in their life. Can also be one that is so happy with his loot, that he realize that he have buildt the possibility to do what he want in life. Many people live happy alone, without family. Later they realize after a vacation that they like asian woman and wants to marry and take care of one for make their life complete. That´s only three reasons. Can find more, but I guess you got the point.

On 7/17/2018 at 12:07 PM, Maradona 10 said:

Haha. That actually took a bit longer than expected. Nobody up's sticks gives up everything at home if they are happy with everything and absconds to Thailand. End of chat.

Read above. Why would you need to give up everything? Bad choice and personal experience?

On 7/22/2018 at 12:10 PM, AYJAYDEE said:

Black guys shootin at your car is so much worse than white guys doin it. ...

In some ways, yes, at least in the USA in places like Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore and D.C.  Because they tend to miss and shoot other innocent bystanders who just happen to be black.  That said, it's also best to avoid areas where the poor white trash live.  They might shoot better, but only when they are sober.

7 hours ago, The manic said:

But in balance as regards to fun, weather,  night life,  vibrancy of culture,  casual sex, adventure, food, accommodation,  relaxed way of live, travel options, topography, the charm of the Thais most of the time...Where else offers that combination? Nowhere in Asia or South America.

You got a point.....but you did not mention the low prices. 

If I were rich enough I am sure I could have all that in another country .  

Anyway, if it was up to  me , I would choose to retire in a warm country in Southern Europe, like Portugal or Spain. Because it's not too hot during the summer's and the winter's is not too bad.  Food is excellent , the beaches, the hospitality of the locals (in some areas) , and a short flight back to Scandinavia if I need to sort things out. 

But again , in the end it's your budget that decides. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, balo said:

You got a point.....but you did not mention the low prices. 

If I were rich enough I am sure I could have all that in another country .  

Anyway, if it was up to  me , I would choose to retire in a warm country in Southern Europe, like Portugal or Spain. Because it's not too hot during the summer's and the winter's is not too bad.  Food is excellent , the beaches, the hospitality of the locals (in some areas) , and a short flight back to Scandinavia if I need to sort things out. 

But again , in the end it's your budget that decides. 

You can't buy rockets festivals

https://youtu.be/9NCnaHANt60

and things like the Phi ta Khon,

https://youtu.be/o9hiv_FrEpY

and the nine gods festival or the

https://youtu.be/8E07bWuE4lk

https://youtu.be/JqPs77j3qDI

Naga Dragon balls etc

https://youtu.be/kzdTql6fBxs

although Spain is good for festivals. Yes if you had enough money you could buy a jungle, and mountains and litter them with palaces and monuments and build your own go go bar, and hire thousand of actors to create your own WS. If budget were the determination why are so many rich people unhappy or trapped into negative and destructive patterns of behaviour. Eventually succumbing to Ennui? Regarding Europe both Greece and the Balkans have potential. I suspected an unlimited budget might not be the solution to function as the grease of happiness but that we need fiction and challenge when seeking happiness. It's the grit that makes the pearl. There is no progress without friction. Good health, good friends and maybe a family, I don't mean kids, your own family back home . May be part of it. Do I wish I had more money? Yes but as I'm 65 im not optimistic about getting a windfall.