Expats who want to leave, if they could

Pilotman

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

There's a big difference between "something for nothing" and getting something back for the money you've paid in.

Yes i like to think the small state pension i enjoy is because i have paid for it with taxes over 40 years. Completely different to the dossers who live free and have never paid a penny in taxes.

9 hours ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

There is VPN detection software available. Pretty sure the lotteries are fully aware about dodgy payments from OS also they could request your passport stamps if they suspicious

Is there any means available to combat that so as to mask VPN usage?

Mr Britman Too,

Please send me the web site where you can find flight's back to the UK on a decent (known) airline that's not going to take me 24/36hrs to get there and where I wont be sat for umpteen hours on a desolate decrepit airport.

Thank you.

LozTh.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Get someone else, who you trust, to do it for you. Or set up a Direct Debit.

Thanks but since father referred to VPN detection I was hoping he was familiar with exactly the opposite as well.

For a spell in the USA I bought lotto tickets but had a bad habit of never checking them.

I'm lotto ticket buying free these days.

I'll expect that lightning strike first.        ?

16 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

"it is tough to build a functional support network while surrounded mostly by fellow expats feeding their base desires for sex and booze"

Go live somewhere else so you are not surrounded by them but by people who live a normal live here.

That's a good point, but I had to live close to where I worked.  Which is between Nana and Soi Cowboy.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thedemon said:

All hassles in Thailand can be eliminated with money. So you're just not doing it right.

And to make sure you don't end up having hassels, use some common sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Is there any means available to combat that so as to mask VPN usage?

I dont know. There is info on google about VPN detection. As mentioned above maybe a friend could set up an account for you an the poster says its legal. Why dont you email them and get definitive advice. Wouldn't fancy years of wasted money if you cant claim but we are straying off topic now

Just now, fathersicksendmoney said:

I dont know. There is info on google about VPN detection. As mentioned above maybe a friend could set up an account for you an the poster says its legal. Why dont you email them and get definitive advice. Wouldn't fancy years of wasted money if you cant claim but we are straying off topic now

My interest is paid subscription sites  in my home country that detect I'm out of country.

I don't buy lottery tickets as I mentioned above.

Thanks for the reply nevertheless.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

If you set up a Direct Debit whilst in the UK, or get someone else to do it for you,  you can play legitimately wherever you are. Read the rules.

With VPN/2p2 you are already in the UK   Last night buying lotto tx I was in Huddersfield,usually in Manchester tho

Edited by altcarrbob

17 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

What person in their own country who had everything a man needed and was happy with his lot woke up one morning and thought 'I think I'll move to Thailand'?

But let's face it sex for men in the west is a huge problem.

Over 40 and you aren't getting any (married or single), so you have two choices, divert your sexual energy into growing vegetables on the allotment or moving to SEA/Latin America.

Q: What MAN in their own country had everything a MAN needed?

A: No man I ever met!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I live life one day at a time. Each day I review my situation and ask myself if there is anything I can do this day to improve the quality of my life...

I do that too, and the answer is always the same ..... one more beer.

• Like 1

It’s not the same as it was when I first arrived 12 years ago and at some stage I will be moving on either by aircraft if I decide to move on or via the Temple if I decide to stay, one things for sure it will happen ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thedemon said:

All hassles in Thailand can be eliminated with money. So you're just not doing it right.

Money does help, but without a genuine loyal Thai wife life would not be the same in Thailand for me. I guess I am one of the lucky ones with a Thai wife that does not put money and family first.

20 hours ago, thedemon said:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poanoi said:

i will give this example:

a would be neighbor and retired norwegian doctor

on his last legs kept coming to me wanting to

borrow a few baht for some rice.

i kept meeting him so soon enough the image

became clear:

his wife had his visa card and would not

argue about who should have the visa card,

she threatened divorce if he took it back.

my answer was that would be the best thing that could ever happen,

he could easily afford 2 young chicks and on top of that save money

that was now wasted on his aggressive old and fugly wife.

his response was that he didnt want to get through it,

later on i suspect he felt too old to combat his wife

But at the end of the day ... that is all his fault for enabling the wife.  Made his bed, etc.  I am certainly not saying the wife was right, etc.  But ... this guy clearly lacked judgement.  And more to the point, the same thing could have happened to him in the US, Norway, Germany, etc, etc, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody is forced to work or pay taxes.

In Thailand, my next door neighbours (single mom and her daughter) haven't paid tax or worked a day in their life (as far as I can ascertain), free healthcare.

In the UK, I know plenty of people in 'social housing', no need to work or pay tax, everything free.

Too many old (I worked hard all my life) dinosaurs posting on ThaiVisa, that isn't the way the western world works any more.

I was in danger of joining you (worked hard 20 years), then looked around, saw nobody else was, stopped working, and joined the modern world.

Someone is still paying it. Maybe not the person receiving the care. But, someone that does pay taxes is paying for it. Maybe even out of your 7 percent vat tax.

17 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I dont regret coming here but I have no intention of staying here forever. I dont like the weather for a start, and I dont like the dishonesty and greed either.

It would be a very sad planet if Thailand was the best place on it.

I echo your sentiments although the weather is ok! I always intended to retire in Vietnam but thought I'd check out Thailand first......well one thing leads to another and now I've been here for 19 years.

There is always the future? Vietnamese men are generally "straight up" and women don't play the "no, I can't do that because it's against my culture" game!

Vietnamese women will look you in the eye and tell you how they feel! What a change!

Vietnamese men can be similar to Thai men but generally will, again, look you in the eye when they lie to you!

In V.N. If the Courts find you guilty of fraudulently or corruptly stealing more than $30,000 they put a bullet in the back of your head!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I dont regret coming here but I have no intention of staying here forever. I dont like the weather for a start, and I dont like the dishonesty and greed either.

It would be a very sad planet if Thailand was the best place on it.

Thailand has it's drawbacks, such as unnecessary immigration hoop jumping, but amongst ordinary Thai people, dishonesty and greed are very much in the minority.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quandow said:

In 2014 I got fed up with all the "Thainess" so I pulled up stakes, sold most of my worldly possessions and moved to Zijuatanejo, Mexico (remember "Shawshank Redemption?").

I was back in Thailand 6 weeks later with a whole new appreciation.

Very honest and heartwarming post! I previously lived in Paraguay. Thailand is paradise by comparison. You have to have experience of living somewhere else (besides your home Country) before you can judge.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, impulse said:

That's an appealing thought, right up until there's something that can't be solved in Thailand with the funds available.  Sure, the base needs and impulses can be met quite handily with enough cash.  But not all needs, and cash doesn't always last as long as retirement.

What about missing family left behind, or the realization that it is tough to build a functional support network while surrounded mostly by fellow expats feeding their base desires for sex and booze, and locals whose economic reality has them looking at us like cash cows?

And there's no safety net for many guys who, through poor planning, bad luck, or scheming wives, lose their money.  At least back home, there's always a way to bring in a few bucks without having to keep your head down so you're not grassed up for WP violations, or for pursuing forbidden occupations.

I'm in the process of repatriating after working for around 7 years in Thailand.  I may be back.  But in the meantime, I'm going to see how it is back home, re-introduce myself to family I haven't seen in many years, work a few more years while I can, and then decide where to retire. 

I count my Thailand adventure as a positive in my life.  But I miss a lot of things back home that aren't available in Thailand at any price.  Maybe I won't like it back in Texas.  But I liked it there fine before I moved to Asia for the paycheck.

I can feel for you Texas. When I first left the States I went to SEA for four years. When I left, I was ready to go home. I enjoyed seeing and doing the people and things I missed. However, when the chance came; I was ready to go overseas again. I did, over and over all my life.

It seems, each time I returned home, the same people were sitting at the same tables, or on the same bar stools, and carrying-on the same conversations they were when I left the last time. It was like some soap opera into which I was a reappearing character.

Now, I am retired and feel more at home in SEA than in the States.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

All you need to go back is 350-400 pounds for the airfare.

Maybe for some people, but for others whose family have no room to take them in, how easy is it to get a small flat or bedsit to rent if you want to go back to the UK? I remember ie, years ago there were bedsits to rent advertised in most newsagents windows, but not any more.