Expats who want to leave, if they could

Pilotman

19 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

I have always believed that all of us given the choice would rather have a great life back in one's own land, if money was no object and had family etc.

What person in their own country who had everything a man needed and was happy with his lot woke up one morning and thought 'I think I'll move to Thailand'?

You are so right. I didn't wake up some morning and decided to move to Thailand.

I woke up on a lovely morning with an even lovelier girl next to me in a lovely resort on a lovely

beach in lovely Thailand. Then I made the decision to move....  Got it ?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Now, I am retired and feel more at home in SEA than in the States.

For me, this will be the first time back in the US in 12 years .... hopefully will be able to adjust.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and this tax, that tax, full of immigrants and dreadful weather etc.etc.

Full of Immigrants is a funny one. Aren't we all Immigrants in Thailand? One Immigrant says to the other Immigrant hey Immigrant, what are you doing here? ?

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most of the western world has free health care for their entire life, America is an anomaly in western civilization.

Nobody needs a car either, a bicycle is fine. Rent a caravan, trailers are nice these days.

Why does everyone expect the best of everything, right from the get go?

A bicycle in Scotland with all that wind and rain for most of the year??

• Like 1

Pilotman, I couldn’t help thinking about what you said, “ . . . how many of you would leave  Thailand if you could, or regret ever coming here in the first place?

The thoughts of not being able to leave Thailand and regretting to have ever come, are depressing at best.

I realize there may be people with no home to go to, who are too sick to be moved, too poor to buy a ticket out, and who have too much to lose to go back. It would seem only too sick is a valid reason. If no home, go somewhere else; if no money, beg, borrow or work; if too much to lose, cut your losses and go.

The thought of regretting you ever came to Thailand is equally dreary. There may be those who were made the cuckold, lost a bundle of money, or committed some stupid deed. Well, let that be a lesson and don’t do it again.

I am ready to leave Thailand and most likely will this year. At almost eleven years in the same house, this is the longest I have ever spent anywhere. Although I am not pleased with all Thailand has to offer; I have been happy here, but have no problem with leaving. However, as I have done for over fifty years, I will be back; I am only changing my SEA base.

• Like 1

Started to come here 38 years ago,   3 or 4 times a year until 16 years ago decided to retire here..   loved it, but how it has changed   sand and sea has got filthy,  in general people have become more greedy, corruption out of control in most walks of life.  I live in Issan, but have lived in most areas still love the country but generally keep a nice home life.

To  answer the topic,  Yes I would return to my home country but have inherited animals and could never leave them. Could never trust the people to give them the love they always have.   Like it here still, BUT would leave now if I did not have my pets.  One of the biggest problems is the conditions the Immigration put on the retired people  all the hassle getting a visa and the reporting and renewal. Why on earth do they not give a visa long term without the bank etc, when  they have proof of home address, income, driving licence, ownership of car and motor cycle, plus water and electric bills.

We are shopping everyday, vat-tax,   petrol tax, Surely this is enough.    I have to show my 3 year lease of my home, but every year they want the owner to get photo copies again of the same thing, when surely they should only want the re-newed lease.......I would gladly pay my city immigration say 20,000 baht,   report every 90 days,  show bank statements every 90 days, and pension direct debit entries.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Full of Immigrants is a funny one. Aren't we all Immigrants in Thailand? One Immigrant says to the other Immigrant hey Immigrant, what are you doing here? ?

This would be a paying immigrant over a sponging one I suppose

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

For me, this will be the first time back in the US in 12 years .... hopefully will be able to adjust.

Yeah, I've been gone since early 2007 and have been out as long as 14 years.  I doubt you will have too much of a problem readjusting. I remember I missed the cheap personal services the most--laundry, haircut, manicure, pedicure, massage, etc. Be careful driving, you'll get a ticket, you don't have to wai when you meet someone, and they frown on bringing your own bottle into a bar.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

There is VPN detection software available. Pretty sure the lotteries are fully aware about dodgy payments from OS also they could request your passport stamps if they suspicious

"also they could request your passport stamps if they suspicious".  

Could they? By what authority?

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I class 20Km round trip as 'cycling distance'.

No excuse for living further than 10Km from shops in the UK.

Riding a cycle for 20 Ks in Scotlands wind and rain?????????????????? 

2 hours ago, altcarrbob said:

With VPN/2p2 you are already in the UK   Last night buying lotto tx I was in Huddersfield,usually in Manchester tho

BUT, if the BIG WIN came, they would check your passport, travel history, computer etc etc. So better to do it LEGALLY. I haven't noticed any big winners from Huddersfield or Manchester recently, apart from Man City. lol

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most of us are NOT immigrants. That's the visa we stay on- NON immigrant.

were still interlopers and its hilarious watchin so many complain about foreigners in their home country

• Thanks 1

I read TV a lot but never post ..... interesting to read all these .... I think age is a big factor and most of the people that moan about the everyday issues here such as the roads, visa's, greed and prices etc seem to be older retired people.

I've only lived here a year but like it here. I work but its not like work in London, there's no long commute and the work life balance is excellent compared to the rat race and live to work mentality back home. For me I can see myself being here until i retire then who knows. I also still return to seem family every 3 months so i get the best of everything. 

When i do go back to England and meet with friends especially those that are retired they moan equally about the issues in England as the retired people do here about the issues in Thailand. Ok they are different issues but I'm starting to think that retirement gives people too much time on their hands and all they see is the bad.

Also just a thought.... but if the Thai people just hear us moaning about them and their country then are they likely to try and change things for the better or will they think if you don't like it leave. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If you had a big win they would make sure 100% that you were resident in the country, you

can bet on that.

2 forms of ID,passport,DL,,tax  thats it collect Watford /Liverpool

No other checks ,,cheque collected in 5 minutes...unless you know different,read the rules,pray tell which rules are you using

Edited by altcarrbob

19 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

I have always believed that all of us given the choice would rather have a great life back in one's own land, if money was no object and had family etc.

What person in their own country who had everything a man needed and was happy with his lot woke up one morning and thought 'I think I'll move to Thailand'?

I was happy with my lot--had a good looking gf, a well-paying job and drove a Corvette. However, I always wanted to travel, to live and work overseas. So, I proactively pursued it and spent my career years as an expat.

Perhaps, it was because I never really had a place to call home. My step-father was in the USAF and we traveled from base to base when I was a kid; I simply carried on that cycle of travel.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Almost everyone in the UK claims 'welfare'.

(State pension, single occupancy council tax, housing supplement, tax credit, child benefit, etc.)

"single occupancy council tax"  If you are on a state pension in the UK, just don't pay it, nobody, even the DWP can take payments from your state pension. It says so on their website.?

2 hours ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

I dont know. There is info on google about VPN detection. As mentioned above maybe a friend could set up an account for you an the poster says its legal. Why dont you email them and get definitive advice. Wouldn't fancy years of wasted money if you cant claim but we are straying off topic now

I don't think anything you say about your home country and Thailand which involves them both in this topic, is going off topic.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"single occupancy council tax"  If you are on a state pension in the UK, just don't pay it, nobody, even the DWP can take payments from your state pension. It says so on their website.?

Kick u out tho

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Still in the "honeymoon" phase! Wait ten years and see if you still feel the same.

If i didn't feel the same after 10 years (or any amount of time) i would do something to change it! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, goegoe said:

What is really positive about Thailand is that it is near Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar...

Easy to escape to another country when it will $uck too much here.

I think Philip is the nearest country where you can get your full pension. I was not aware that my pension would be static if I lived in Thailand, 13 years and still on 87 quid a week, no increment increases.

Edited by ginjag
  • Confused 1