Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoop1130

Court upholds death sentence for 2015 rape and murder of teenager

Recommended Posts

Court upholds death sentence for 2015 rape and murder of teenager

By Jakkapong Rawiwan 
The Nation

 

686999a3b38f0175103d4c0a0a4dc18d.jpeg

 

The Court of Appeal on Tuesday upheld a primary court ruling sentencing to death a 36-year-old former village headman for murdering an 18-year-old schoolgirl during a rape attempt in Kalasin’s Kamalasai district in 2015.

 

The ruling also included an order for Ban Si Than former village headman Krittidech Rawengwan to pay the family of slain Rong Kham School student Ruadeewan “Nong Snow” Polprasit Bt2.39 million in compensation. 

 

The court found Krittidech guilty of killing Ruadeewan while trying to rape her. 

 

His claim of innocence was denied as evidence, including a human bite mark found on his finger and another wound on a testicle, had been put before the court.

 

Ruadeewan’s parents Krit and Lamyai Polprasit and relatives held the slain girl’s photograph as they gathered outside the Kalasin Provincial Court yesterday morning prior to the verdict reading. 

 

Lamyai became tearful and said the tiredness she had felt for over 900 days after the loss of her beloved daughter disappeared when she heard the latest verdict. She thanked officials involved in the case, along with police and media, for following through on the case until justice was served. She also thanked the public for their moral support.

 

The Court of Appeal found Krittidech guilty of killing the girl while trying to rape her on December 23, 2015 while she was riding her motorcycle home from school. 

 

Krittidech, pursuing her on another motorcycle, kicked the girl’s motorcycle to the ground and dragged her into a roadside ditch where he attempted to rape her. Ruadeewan fought him off but suffered serious injuries that caused her death two days later.

 

Krittidech, detained at the Khlong Phai Prison, was not in court but reportedly was notified about the latest verdict.

 

The family is struggling to cope with the loss of Ruadeewan.

 

“I still feel pain in my heart every time I pass the spot of her attack. Whenever I miss her, I look at her pictures on the wall or in her Facebook page. I keep dreaming of her and I wake crying,” Lamyai said. 

 

If the girl were alive today, she would have been studying at a nurse’s college as per her dream to become a nurse to help others, the mother said. 

 

The family also lost all of their savings to pay for funeral expenses and the lawsuit, and had to mortgage their rice field to keep the family afloat during the court battle, Lamyai said. 

 

“Our family will fight until the end so the attacker will get a maximum punishment, especially the death sentence, so that this will serve as a precautionary tale so it won’t happen in Thai society again,” she said.

 

Ruadeewan’s 31-year-old sister Pattranit Polprasert said: “Heaven has eyes so the innocent person’s death won’t be in vain and the one who committed a crime is punished for his deed.” 

 

Neighbour Suthee Arunpas, 50, said he sympathised with the family and wants to see capital punishment for the culprit, so no one would follow in his footsteps and break the law – especially in rape-murder cases.

 

According to human-rights group Amnesty International, multiple studies have discredited claims that capital punishment deters crime. “There is no evidence that the death penalty is any more effective than life imprisonment,” according to Amnesty, which also notes that many executed people were later found to have been innocent.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30350246

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to human-rights group Amnesty International, multiple studies have discredited claims that capital punishment deters crime.

 

It does prevent repeat offenders. And, that's a good start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nice new and  provided SQ 27 gauge needle for you

happening soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

A nice new and  provided SQ 27 gauge needle for you

happening soon.

That's too humane.tied up,weighted down and thrown in a klong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am absolutely, steadfastly, adamant against the death penalty. 

But in this case, I had to make a rare exception. She survived being kicked off her motorcycle to the ground. She survived being raped. But at some point, he kicked her or punched her so hard in the stomach that her liver burst. And that's what killed her. 

I absolutely and unreservedly support his death by execution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take him to that special room for that special  vaccination.

 

I reckon Thailand is going be executing a lot  of bad boys in the coming few years. :thumbsup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I am absolutely, steadfastly, adamant against the death penalty.

But in this case, I had to make a rare exception. She survived being kicked off her motorcycle to the ground. She survived being raped. But at some point, he kicked her or punched her so hard in the stomach that her liver burst. And that's what killed her.

I absolutely and unreservedly support his death by execution.

 

We cannot teach that killing is wrong by killing. So now we are saying it's sometimes quite okay to kill people even if NOT in self defence right?

 

To take a life when a life has been lost is called REVENGE, not Justice. Vengence is the main reason for support for death penalties - screaming mobs outside the jailhouse...

 

The ultimate deterrent, surely, would be a lifetime in the dungeon with no hope of seeing daylight again.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Darcula said:

 

It does prevent repeat offenders. And, that's a good start.

And. That is the truth . It may not stop that criminal but they don' t do it again . Must at least send a message to those contemplating!!!!. But Amnesty Internatioal can't read minds  so have  no evidence for their assumptions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Vengence is the main reason for support for death penalties - screaming mobs outside the jailhouse...

What are you talking about , its wrong to describe her Family as a "screaming mob outside a jailhouse" . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

The ultimate deterrent, surely, would be a lifetime in the dungeon with no hope of seeing daylight again.

And that usually ends up with them getting freed a few years later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sanemax said:

What are you talking about , its wrong to describe her Family as a "screaming mob outside a jailhouse" .

That's right, I didn't do that. 

I simply can't go along with the 'mob' - excluding her family (if I were her family I'd execute the guy myself).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sanemax said:

And that usually ends up with them getting freed a few years later

I don't think so. I guess you know more about Thai prisons than I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ben2talk said:

I don't think so. I guess you know more about Thai prisons than I do.

Quite often murderers have been seen walking the streets a few years later after getting convicted of murder (in Thailand)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Quite often murderers have been seen walking the streets a few years later after getting convicted of murder (in Thailand)

Ok, so basically any discussion of 'justice' in this country is a waste of time. Just kill him and have done with it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...