Phuket search launched for jet-ski rider missing in storm

snoop1130

Phuket search launched for jet-ski rider missing in storm

image.jpg

Pa Khlok Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor) emergency service staff and vehicles stand at the ready at Ao Por Pier, Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- A search has been launched for man last seen riding a jet-ski off Phuket’s east coast today (July 17) and now feared overpowered by the storm conditions that struck the island this afternoon.

Thalang Police Chief Lt Col Theerawat Liamsuwan today confirmed to The Phuket News that the missing man is 25-year-old Koset ‘Oat’ Deebukdam.

He is reportedly a staffer at the local company Kai Jet Ski.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-search-launched-for-jet-ski-rider-missing-in-storm-67918.php#zMRlmLUcysvsYwTp.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-7-17

And again the owner of the operation has no regard for human life and not enough common sense to say 'NO don't go, right now it's too dangerous'.

And if there any monitoring of this industry by the relevant authorities?

Search resumes for Phuket jet-ski rider missing in storm

By The Phuket News

1531882686_1-org.jpg

The search for missing Phuket jet-ski rider 25-year-old Koset ‘Oat’ Deebukdam was suspended at 7:30pm last night (July 17) as conditions were too dangerous. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: Rescue teams this morning (July 18) resumed their search for 25-year-old Koset ‘Oat’ Deebukdam, who disappeared while riding a jet-ski off Naka Yai Island, off Phuket’s east coast, after he was caught in the storm that hit Phuket late yesterday afternoon.

Rescue workers from Pa Khlok and members from Volunteer Defense Corps launched a search yesterday and continued until 7:30pm before the search was suspended due to the conditions being deemed too dangerous.

The search resumed this morning at 7am.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/search-resumes-for-phuket-jet-ski-rider-missing-in-storm-67924.php#HMoyb6rLH6phQxLx.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-07-18

55 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Sounds like they started this search yesterday, stopped for the night and started searching again today !!!

I guess the lessons from the Pheonix weren't learnt after all.... 

Yep youre exactly right. Those big navy ships at port chalong must be tied up to the wharf cause the crew have all gone home for the night.

bottom line. Not only in asia but most the 3rd world you go to sea prepared for youre life.

Especially on a jet ski.

3 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Yep youre exactly right. Those big navy ships at port chalong must be tied up to the wharf cause the crew have all gone home for the night.

bottom line. Not only in asia but most the 3rd world you go to sea prepared for youre life.

Especially on a jet ski.

I would think the Naval vessels would be at the 3rd Command Naval base at Panwa, not tied up to the tourist pier in Chalong Bay. (They did unload bodies recovered from the sea at Chalong)  I'm not an expert on Naval bases but I wouldn't think the place would empty out at night. 

Either way the suicidal, non-swimming idiot decided to go out in a storm near the North of Phuket, many miles from the base, or Chalong, and any possibility of rescue before nightfall.

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

And again the owner of the operation has no regard for human life and not enough common sense to say 'NO don't go, right now it's too dangerous'.

And if there any monitoring of this industry by the relevant authorities?

You bet there is intensive monitoring of this industry, just maybe not the way that improves safety.  $$$

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I would think the Naval vessels would be at the 3rd Command Naval base at Panwa, not tied up to the tourist pier in Chalong Bay. (They did unload bodies recovered from the sea at Chalong)  I'm not an expert on Naval bases but I wouldn't think the place would empty out at night. 

Either way the suicidal, non-swimming idiot decided to go out in a storm near the North of Phuket, many miles from the base, or Chalong, and any possibility of rescue before nightfall.

Assuming that the missing person did not own the jet-ski, don't you think that the guy who hired it out to him has some responsibility for doing so, knowing that the customer had no life-jacket and presumably also was aware of the bad weather?  No, it was the customer's fault entirely? 

27 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Assuming that the missing person did not own the jet-ski, don't you think that the guy who hired it out to him has some responsibility for doing so, knowing that the customer had no life-jacket and presumably also was aware of the bad weather?  No, it was the customer's fault entirely? 

It wasn't a customer, it was staff.

Why don't you read the OP.

14 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Yes panwa the gate way to chalong. My point was why call off a search at night. Navy ships can  handle 3 meter wind swell. 

12 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

Yes panwa the gate way to chalong. My point was why call off a search at night. Navy ships can  handle 3 meter wind swell. 

This is not related to the swell, but to the fact that there is no chance of finding a single person at night in the sea.

12 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

One of the first things I noted when I read the OP was that the guy was staff of the jet ski company.

I never cease to be surprised at the lack of comprehension skills of many on this forum.

1 hour ago, quadperfect said:

Nice new slogan. I've never heard Panwa described as the gateway to Chalong (Port!!!) before.  Most vessels arrive from the south.

A lot of shallow water in the area the person went missing, probably not really suitable for navy ships to be searching in at night. I think the 15 searching jet skies were probably the right choice at the time. 

Latest chatter by locals at Ao Por. One body has been found between Naka islands and Koh Yao Yai already yesterday.

One person said there was 2 bodies found, so who knows how truthful these are. 

11 hours ago, stevenl said:

This is not related to the swell, but to the fact that there is no chance of finding a single person at night in the sea.

Are you talking from youre point of view or of the thai navys? Cause i can tell you for sure you can find a single person on a big jetski at night. 

Archived