Kelly's Fish and Chips

worgeordie

As the Chiang mai forum seems to be mostly about finding

food items, I thought I would add another.

Kelly's Fish and Chips, Meechok Plaza, has anyone ate there

recently ? I have not been for at least a year,but enjoyed  

their fish and chips,pot of good tea and bread ,butter,I

would always order the deep sea Cod ?,it was OK,I dont

eat Pangasius,Tilapia, 

I seen it was up for sale a while ago,and wonder if it is

still worth a visit,

regards worgeordie

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that plaice really stilly going?

I remember maybe 3 years ago, going to help a TV member out with some building and structural advice before he embarked upon a house purchase.

I told him my fee was a Chang beer that's all, but he insisted on buying me fish and chips and kellys........having grown up in Yorkshire with proper fish and chips I wasn't expecting much.

my verdict on the fit an chip......it didn't live up to the previous hype i.m.o   but a good effort and happy if they are still going.

I seldom ever see a customer in there when I pass by. Don't see how they stay in business as the rent has to be sky high. I don't think the guy who drove the convertible Alpha Romeo owns it anymore. Before him was an Australian guy who I occasionally see riding his bicycle up the Phrao Road.

It was only good when the australian bloke owned it.......he was the cook until somebody reported him and that was that.    good to hear he still rides that bike....he is in his seventies.  

"The Best Fish & Chips in U.K . -- Twice"

Kelly dreamed it, twice. ....

I ate there before and it's that "Asians take a stab at making Western food." It's a shame since a decent breakfast or fish and chips would be a nice addition to that strip mall. 

Meechok Plaza favs? The Lao steak at the Vietnamese chain on the second floor and the tonkotsu ramen at Naruto. 

Agree with Trujillo ( for once!) "best fish n chips in the uk"...Haha, in his dreams......I m from Yorkshire where you can go to any village and find half a dozen "chippies" all of which produce lovely fish n chips ten times better than anything Kellys has ever produced!

I live very close and I am in Meechok plaza most every day. Kelly's is frequently closed. I ate there a couple of times and thought it was not very good. I wish there was more variety in the Meechok restaurants. There is about 7-8 of Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese places which are always doing good business with Thais but all are about the same level of price/quality. Naruto is OK and the Korean place yeah maybe. The Giotto Pizza place is excellent in my opinion. Very comfortable and well-run. The dinners are very good and the (thin-crust) pizza is also very good. 

10 minutes ago, lexilis said:

. The Giotto Pizza place is excellent in my opinion. Very comfortable and well-run. The dinners are very good and the (thin-crust) pizza is also very good. 

Agree with you.

OP is better to go to these places for sure!!!  

We enjoy a great value breakfast or lunch at Kelly's regularly.  The fish and chips are very tasty and never greasy.  They do perfect poached eggs and the omelettes are big and really fluffy.   I also enjoy the fresh salads. The owners (less than a year) are friendly, hard working people and the service is always very attentive.   Every time I walk in there I can't help but notice how spotlessly clean it is. December last year they had delicious home-made Christmas puddings.

They are closed on Mondays and AFAIK don't open for dinner - closing time is late afternoon.  

7 hours ago, EL159 said:

Agree with Trujillo ( for once!) "best fish n chips in the uk"...Haha, in his dreams......I m from Yorkshire where you can go to any village and find half a dozen "chippies" all of which produce lovely fish n chips ten times better than anything Kellys has ever produced!

He won the prize when he was in the Uk, his Fish Shop was called Out of the Blue.

It is a prestigious prize to win in the Uk.

14 hours ago, EL159 said:

Probably easier to get better quality ingredients in the UK. 

11 hours ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

Rob still owns the business, but he has leased it out about a year ago.

What does that mean?

And which one is Rob, the owner of the Alfa or bicycle?

20 hours ago, Trujillo said:

And what about Kelly?

1 hour ago, junglechef said:

Should I even ask???

well, what do you want to know ?   He (the australian) was the founder of the restaurant about 7 years ago and ran it for about 2 years....before he had a work permit problem.  He cooked himself and it was very good and not expensive.  He then sold it and like many restaurants the quality changed.

anything else you'd like to know?

13 hours ago, ChiangMai101 said:

We enjoy a great value breakfast or lunch at Kelly's regularly.  The fish and chips are very tasty and never greasy.  They do perfect poached eggs and the omelettes are big and really fluffy.   I also enjoy the fresh salads. The owners (less than a year) are friendly, hard working people and the service is always very attentive.   Every time I walk in there I can't help but notice how spotlessly clean it is. December last year they had delicious home-made Christmas puddings.

They are closed on Mondays and AFAIK don't open for dinner - closing time is late afternoon.  

Note   I have not eaten there for a long time.  If there are new owners and you say that the food and service have gone up then I can not dispute.   Maybe they should put up a sign that says it is under new ownership and some of us might give it a try.  Like others say.... i never see it busy when i am around there

39 minutes ago, rumak said:

well, what do you want to know ?   He (the australian) was the founder of the restaurant about 7 years ago and ran it for about 2 years....before he had a work permit problem.  He cooked himself and it was very good and not expensive.  He then sold it and like many restaurants the quality changed.

anything else you'd like to know?

"Should I even ask?" was in reference to my previous post immediately above (copied below for your convenience) 

13 hours ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

Rob still owns the business, but he has leased it out about a year ago.

What does that mean?

22 hours ago, Trujillo said:

And what about Kelly?

So what I want to know who is Rob, who is Kelly and which if either rides a bicycle, rides an Alfa and if either neither then what is their preferred mode of transportation. 

Thanks for offering to clarify.

Oh yeah one more thing, "should I even ask" which is the Australian? 

Rob was the Brit ex submariner from, Cornwall if I remember correctly.

He sold Good Fish and chips, best in CM after Cheerful Charlie moved/passed on.

Strangely Rob got into 'Health Supplements' and then 'vanished', better say no more on that as folk have got annoyed about the matter in the past.

Not been in for several years as I now use Sausage King, where I last saw Rob maybe 5 years back.

john

2 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Strangely Rob got into 'Health Supplements' and then 'vanished', better say no more on that as folk have got annoyed about the matter in the past.

Not been in for several years as I now use Sausage King, where I last saw Rob maybe 5 years back.

john

Do say more, PLEASE, it's just getting better and better! 

2 hours ago, junglechef said:

What does that mean?

And what about Kelly?

I think the Australian guy was named Charlie, if I am not mistaken. Quality was good when he opened it and he was the chef. Prices were reasonable. Then the guy who drove the Alpha bought it and it was very good at first - even better than under previous ownership, but then at some point he turned over the operation to his staff and the quality dropped considerably, while the prices went up. After a couple of very disappointing meals I never returned. No idea what goes on there these days but it is almost always empty.

12 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

john

He's alive and well and considering how much exercise he gets, will probably live forever. I don't really know him other than we were customers when he owned the business and when I see him in the area he is always friendly.

1 minute ago, elektrified said:

I think the Australian guy was named Charlie, if I am not mistaken. Quality was good when he opened it and he was the chef. Prices were reasonable. Then the guy who drove the Alpha bought it and it was very good at first - even better than under previous ownership, but then at some point he turned over the operation to his staff and the quality dropped considerably, while the prices went up. After a couple of very disappointing meals I never returned. No idea what goes on there these days but it is almost always empty.

Yeah I remember at one stage it wasn't bad at all, think a little after it changed hands. 

It holds fond memories for me as it was the first time Yai, my mom-in-law, enjoyed Falang food, a nicely cooked piece of salmon. But that was so long ago she still had a few teeth left. 

14 hours ago, ChiangMai101 said:

That's what I was hoping to hear,do they still have the deep sea Cod on the menu ?

or is it Dory,Pangasius,? ,everything else about previous owners is of no interest, 

just what the new owners are producing ,and if its good or bad.obviously I dont

want to go there and find out its crap.

regards worgeordie

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

That's what I was hoping to hear,do they still have the deep sea Cod on the menu ?

or is it Dory,Pangasius,? ,everything else about previous owners is of no interest, 

regards worgeordie

Not sure about crap but they might serve carp

Although the true F&C diner ambience may be lacking, IMO the best value F&C in CM continues to be at Gecko's Garden, esp on Friday when the price drops to 120 baht (approx). And not served up in old wrinkled newspaper but on clean plate, hot fries and salad. Sure, may not be North Sea cod but tasty and filling, with Malt vinegar too.

At least once a month for me.  And more good news is that now Gecko's has pushed the horrid cig smokers out to the rear.  Owner was very tolerant of  the ugly smoke as the smokers generally sat around smoked, drank and moaned, thus alcohol income.  Glad to find them out the door.  What an addiction!

14 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

the question is :   if they call it deep sea Cod on the menu....is it REALLY  deep sea Cod ?   I once asked

a previous owner and he said "everyone uses .(can't remember......fish for their fish and chips".    I think you would

have to ask the OWNER  what kind of fish it really is.     

Archived