Kelly's Fish and Chips

worgeordie

1 hour ago, junglechef said:

"Should I even ask?" was in reference to my previous post immediately above (copied below for your convenience)

only thing is saw was my name on quote and your question.   was confused ! 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hmficc said:

Yes, I would like to know if it is OK to French kiss on the first date.

electified......if you find that post funny I think you should stop drinking so early in the morning.

To the best of my knowledge Toni at Yummy Pizza is only place serving Cod.

Anyone who thinks other wise is requested to go round and 'Discuss' in the real world.

I have never found anywhere in CM which serves real Chips as we Brits know them, last time I was in UK few places still serve real chips, just fried potato chipish.

john

Anyone who thinks other wise is requested to go round and 'Discuss' in the real world.
I have never found anywhere in CM which serves real Chips as we Brits know them, last time I was in UK few places still serve real chips, just fried potato chipish.

john

Directions to this “real world” you speak of please

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I've posted this before, but the odds that an actual cod reaching Thailand's food chain is miniscule. 

Google Cod Stock Collapse

If by food chain you mean swimming here to become part of the ecosystem I'd have to agree.

But we shouldn't disregard C.OD. , no not Cash On Delivery, but Catch Of the Day!

Trujillo is correct, in this case.  In fact, recent surveys show "

The Oceana study found that a variety of fish were sold as cod, including pangasius (Asian “catfish”), threadfin slickhead, and tilapia. Atlantic cod, which has been grossly overharvested and is on most endangered seafood lists, is also sometimes sold as Pacific cod, a less endangered variety. "

So very unlikely Toni is serving any cod in Hang Dong. The meal may be good, but it ain't real.(if he claims Atlantic cod) 

18 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Trujillo is correct, in this case.  In fact, recent surveys show "

The Oceana study found that a variety of fish were sold as cod, including pangasius (Asian “catfish”), threadfin slickhead, and tilapia. Atlantic cod, which has been grossly overharvested and is on most endangered seafood lists, is also sometimes sold as Pacific cod, a less endangered variety. "

So very unlikely Toni is serving any cod in Hang Dong. The meal may be good, but it ain't real.(if he claims Atlantic cod) 

All ,except some salted Cod from Portugal in RimPing, is Pacific Cod,

it  a Cod species,processed in China and sold in some places here as

Atlantic Cod, it's Cod but not as we know it,Jim.

I bought some in Makro,looked good,nice and white,decent fillets,

they had Cod and Haddock,and the price was very cheap,so i simmered

a couple Cod filets ,as was going to do it with a parsley sauce,the decent

sized filets ended up the size of a big Goldfish,and curled up,had to add

another 2 filets,to make enough for a few fish cakes,God only knows what

the Chinese did to them,put them on a rack,I think.

regards Worgeordie

Dont like to see Tonis name being taken in vain by people with opinions but no knowledge ( not untypical on TV!). The fish he serves is definitely COD.  Which type of Cod, I have no idea, but it is COD.  I e eaten the stuff numerous times and I ve seen the packaging it comes in! Trade secret where he sources it from ( he wont tell me!) but its definitively COD. OK???????

Sorry but NOT OK.  Haven't you read about food cheating? Pure honey revealed to be 47% white sugar; pure olive oil shown to be 15% soy oil; French red wine that's 27% Italian; tuna fish sashimi tested and found to be tilapia.  False labeling and packaging fools many folks worldwide.

Only a DNA test will tell the truth.  It's no different from paternity.  You may indeed believe and hope it's cod, but frozen, breaded, deep fried and smeared with vinegar and tartar sauce and served up to a hungry bloke can mask a lot of wrongs.

I never met Toni, probably a swell guy but he's in business to make a profit. Even Toni may be suffering a scam so don't feel too bad.

1 hour ago, chingmai331 said:

Sorry but NOT OK.  Haven't you read about food cheating? Pure honey revealed to be 47% white sugar; pure olive oil shown to be 15% soy oil; French red wine that's 27% Italian; tuna fish sashimi tested and found to be tilapia.  False labeling and packaging fools many folks worldwide.

Only a DNA test will tell the truth.  It's no different from paternity.  You may indeed believe and hope it's cod, but frozen, breaded, deep fried and smeared with vinegar and tartar sauce and served up to a hungry bloke can mask a lot of wrongs.

I never met Toni, probably a swell guy but he's in business to make a profit. Even Toni may be suffering a scam so don't feel too bad.

DNA testing on food. #Douche

2 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

It LOOKS and TASTES like COD. It says its COD on the box it comes in. Clearly in the minutiae of your suspicious mind, you have a problem....but I dont. Sometimes you have to trust people and in this case I do !!!

6 hours ago, Loaded said:

The last time I was in Kelly's, admittedly quite a few months ago, I ordered cod and chips with mushy peas. The cod was convincing and the chips were hand made. I would give it a good 4 out of 5.

Admittedly I am no ichthyologist, but the cod we had looked like cod and tasted like cod.  Therefore I believe it was cod. 

On 7/19/2018 at 9:08 AM, jonwilly said:

john

Kevin at the Red Lion does real chips.

On 7/20/2018 at 2:52 PM, ChiangMai101 said:

Admittedly I am no ichthyologist, but the cod we had looked like cod and tasted like cod.  Therefore I believe it was cod. 

Was that recently ?

regards worgeordie

On 7/18/2018 at 12:00 PM, EL159 said:

Agree with Trujillo ( for once!) "best fish n chips in the uk"...Haha, in his dreams......I m from Yorkshire where you can go to any village and find half a dozen "chippies" all of which produce lovely fish n chips ten times better than anything Kellys has ever produced!

Last time I visited the UK, the majority of so-called traditional British fish and chips shops were being run by, Turks, Chinese, Indians and Middle Easterners. I was hard pushed to find a chippie being run by real English people.

There are no ways restaurants in Thailand could ever re-produce real authentic British traditional Fish and Chips. They don`t have the equipment or the know how. What you get is basically just a fry up and nothing better cannot be expected.

7 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Last time I visited the UK, the majority of so-called traditional British fish and chips shops were being run by, Turks, Chinese, Indians and Middle Easterners. I was hard pushed to find a chippie being run by real English people.

There are no ways restaurants in Thailand could ever re-produce real authentic British traditional Fish and Chips. They don`t have the equipment or the know how. What you get is basically just a fry up and nothing better cannot be expected.

I'm an American so please excuse the stupid question but what special equipment is need to fry fish and potatoes?

"I'm an American"

Explains much, I know little on traditional home grown US foods, Pizza, Hot Dogs & Burgers.

In the UK Fish & chips are cooked in a 'large' deep fat frier.

Traditionally years back cooked in 'Lard'.

Cips where always double cooked.

First slowly at a 'low' temperature and then immediately before serving 'Flash' fried at much higher temperature to give a soft cooked inside and a firm 'Crisp' outer to the chip.

I came from a Coal & Cotton town where cum lunch, evening meal time large queues would form to buy Fish & chips.

Large numbers where really needed to make the procedure 'Economic', workers in cotton meals ate at there machines even though this was illegal back when I was a kid.

Pies where the other alternative for workers and young lads would be in the queue carrying a cardboard box for 20-30 portions.

Now most Chippys are owned by non native Brits, Chinese and Indian in my home town, only 2 of the old style Brits run places left on my last visit.

No one in CM or I will suggest outside old traditional UK places still sell real Chips and Cod is rare in Thailand but is imported.

john

This thread makes me chuckle- while I can't comment on the specifics of fish-and-chips, I understand the sentiment of the U.K. posters exactly- it's like when I hear people talk about 'NY-style pizza'- you either know, or you don't- there's no 'middle ground'.;)

2 hours ago, jonwilly said:

"I'm an American"

Explains much, I know little on traditional home grown US foods, Pizza, Hot Dogs & Burgers.

In the UK Fish & chips are cooked in a 'large' deep fat frier.

Traditionally years back cooked in 'Lard'.

Cips where always double cooked.

First slowly at a 'low' temperature and then immediately before serving 'Flash' fried at much higher temperature to give a soft cooked inside and a firm 'Crisp' outer to the chip.

I came from a Coal & Cotton town where cum lunch, evening meal time large queues would form to buy Fish & chips.

Large numbers where really needed to make the procedure 'Economic', workers in cotton meals ate at there machines even though this was illegal back when I was a kid.

Pies where the other alternative for workers and young lads would be in the queue carrying a cardboard box for 20-30 portions.

Now most Chippys are owned by non native Brits, Chinese and Indian in my home town, only 2 of the old style Brits run places left on my last visit.

No one in CM or I will suggest outside old traditional UK places still sell real Chips and Cod is rare in Thailand but is imported.

john

Thanks John, actually my Mom is from London and I spent my childhood summers at our family's seaside home in England so I'm quite familiar with the cuisine. 

So really professional deep fry machines aren't available here?

And couldn't any decent cook get similar results with a pot of hot oil?

2 hours ago, junglechef said:

Thanks John, actually my Mom is from London and I spent my childhood summers at our family's seaside home in England so I'm quite familiar with the cuisine. 

So really professional deep fry machines aren't available here?

And couldn't any decent cook get similar results with a pot of hot oil?

Its less the cooking methods,more about the ingredients here ,

you cannot buy named Potatoes ,so really you cannot buy the

variety you need to make good chips,then there's the fish,Atlantic

Cod,Haddock,and Whiting are just not available,and if it was would

be price prohibitive for Fish & Chips, so it's Pangasius (Dory) ,which

is even used by unscrupulous fryers in the UK,

As a lad I use to deliver Potatoes to fish and chips shops and I never

seen any double fry the chips,I think some of the HiSo Fish shops

do that today,as well as use a bigger variety of fish species.

Like a lot of things here you will never find everything from your

home country,but its surprising what you can get,so you just have

to make do with the next best thing,or a good substitute, do without,

or have it shipped here yourself,trouble is a small amount of fish would

travel well !

Regards Worgeordie

Archived