Kelly's Fish and Chips

worgeordie

mr worgeordie..... surely you can take a chance and go to kellys.    then we all can know what you 

thought of it.   what's the worst that can happen?   they bring you something you don't like and you

can say :    I wouldn't eat that carp if it was the last fish on earth !

waiting for your review

regards...rumak

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would imagine quality fish is hard to get here, I rarely eat fish in Thailand unless we are at a coastal place where there are fishermen and its fresh from clean water other wise it tends to taste pretty bad, also a lot of the fish is farmed freshwater stuff  or pangasius which tastes bloody awful. I was lucky in that I lived on the coast in Australia so always had access to fresh fish from clean water(especially when I caught it myself), makes a huge difference plus we had a great selection of fish etc from aussie fish and chip shops. Its hard to even find a restaurant that can cook decent chips/fries here let along a good piece of battered fish although some arent too bad, cant see thais taking to it though as its too different to what they usually eat

Speak to Rob at Sausage King on the subject of potatoes available in CM.

Cod is imported to Thailand, speak to Toni at Yummy.

I used to drink in the Offshore Bar in Suckhumvit soi 23.

The owner was a lad from Preston and he opened a proper Fish & Chip shop next door.

He had a Gas fired range to prepare his food on.

One of his customers was the importer who worked for Diagio and they brought in Cod purchased on the docks in UK and exported out here as the profit margin was high here then UK.

john

On 7/19/2018 at 9:10 PM, chingmai331 said:

Sorry but NOT OK.  Haven't you read about food cheating? Pure honey revealed to be 47% white sugar; pure olive oil shown to be 15% soy oil; French red wine that's 27% Italian; tuna fish sashimi tested and found to be tilapia.  False labeling and packaging fools many folks worldwide.

Only a DNA test will tell the truth.  It's no different from paternity.  You may indeed believe and hope it's cod, but frozen, breaded, deep fried and smeared with vinegar and tartar sauce and served up to a hungry bloke can mask a lot of wrongs.

I never met Toni, probably a swell guy but he's in business to make a profit. Even Toni may be suffering a scam so don't feel too bad.

Whenever I had cod and chips in the UK, it was battered, never breaded. Can only remember plaice being breaded. Also, nobody I knew put vinegar on fish, it goes on the chips. Are you not from the UK?

9 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

Whenever I had cod and chips in the UK, it was battered, never breaded. Can only remember plaice being breaded. Also, nobody I knew put vinegar on fish, it goes on the chips. Are you not from the UK?

I am from the UK (midlands). In my home town one could choose batter or breadcrumbs on Cod, Haddock or plaice.  Salt and vinegar was optional, but always applied to both the fish and the chips. Tartar sauce was  something one might find in a posh restaurant (like a Bernie Inn).:smile:

18 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I am from the UK (midlands). In my home town one could choose batter or breadcrumbs on Cod, Haddock or plaice.  Salt and vinegar was optional, but always applied to both the fish and the chips. Tartar sauce was  something one might find in a posh restaurant (like a Bernie Inn).:smile:

Maybe it’s a regional thing then (apart from the tartar sauce, which was the same where I lived) but putting malt vinegar on any kind of fish would kill the flavour no?

15 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

c-and-j-s-chippy.jpg

Where was this picture taken? 

My post:

"I'm an American so please excuse the stupid question but what special equipment is need to fry fish and potatoes?"

Was in response to this post:

"There are no ways restaurants in Thailand could ever re-produce real authentic British traditional Fish and Chips. They don`t have the equipment or the know how"

Are deep fryers unavailable here?

8 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

Maybe it’s a regional thing then (apart from the tartar sauce, which was the same where I lived) but putting malt vinegar on any kind of fish would kill the flavour no?

No, as the batter absorbs the slight dousing of the fish by vinegar, leaving the the flesh of the fish untainted.

I never eat English style fish and chips in TH or Dubai where I am working for that matter as its with not cod or haddock or if it is it's not very good. In TH I prefer to eat Thai food and fish wise I like fried taptim or banin or catfish in a dish. Whenever I go to the UK I always have fish and chips a few times at Burton Road Chippy in Lincoln. Can't beat it!

22 hours ago, rumak said:

mr worgeordie..... surely you can take a chance and go to kellys.    then we all can know what you 

thought of it.   what's the worst that can happen?   they bring you something you don't like and you

can say :    I wouldn't eat that carp if it was the last fish on earth !

waiting for your review

regards...rumak

Surely it's common sense ,to ask first, it's quite a time since I ate

at Kelly's ,it was good then, but has since had two new owners,

The worst that could happen is that the meal was not good,that they only

offered Pangasius, 

Just for you,I will pay it a visit,based on a couple of recent positive reviews,

which i thank the posters  for.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Surely it's common sense ,to ask first, it's quite a time since I ate

at Kelly's ,it was good then, but has since had two new owners,

The worst that could happen is that the meal was not good,that they only

offered Pangasius, 

Just for you,I will pay it a visit,based on a couple of recent positive reviews,

which i thank the posters  for.

regards worgeordie

Oh my Cod,   i hope its good !

6 minutes ago, rumak said:

Oh my Cod,   i hope its good !

Will let you know either way,and if it is good,will

you be paying Kelly's a visit ?,or are you only on

this thread to waste time.

regards worgeordie

38 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Will let you know either way,and if it is good,will

you be paying Kelly's a visit ?,or are you only on

this thread to waste time.

regards worgeordie

kind regards......

39 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

And whatever they print on the menu is 100% true. 

Yes, that's my be perch. But the notion mentioned before about cod being on menus here is almost certainly false. 

if you say so

100m from Kelly's is Rimping Supermarket. The last time I was there, one of the freezers stocked frozen cod fillets. Do you think it's possible that they know this?

Don't tell me - it's not real cod and this is all a conspiracy.

I liked the cod and chips at Kelly's.

Tilapia are farm raised in ponds with who knows what sort of mixture of antibiotics and nutrients. They grow fast and they are cheap, hence the reason why you see so many being roasted over coals. They are hardly a substitute for deep sea cod.

55 minutes ago, bubba said:

Tilapia are farm raised in ponds with who knows what sort of mixture of antibiotics and nutrients. They grow fast and they are cheap, hence the reason why you see so many being roasted over coals. They are hardly a substitute for deep sea cod.

Thanks for the tip. I fish them myself. 

Always prefer local foods which is fresh. Don't think we'd get any fresh cod in TH but each to their own.

When I have my fish and chips in England it's always fresh fish never frozen caught from Grimsby which is close to my favourite dish and chip shop in Lincoln.

6 hours ago, bubba said:

As in most things on the "net".......many diverse opinions about this fish.  In Thai it is usually called pla top tim  (from my experience).  and yes, it is farmed.  Who is doing the farming is probably the question/answer to whether it is healthy or not.  Same can be said of chicken, pork, almost anything,,,,,,,,, No ?

One post from the net about this fish  :  Plaa thap thim - ปลาทับทิม - is Oreochromis niloticus, known in English as 'tilapia', and in Thailand it's usually farmed.   Left that in...but meant to post this :berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food/food-safety/article/truth-about-tilapia

SORRY  to the OP......yes,  i know this might be "wasting your time" as it is not about Kelly's...... but some

here seem to be interested in the different kinds of fish that are commonly cooked here in CM

1 hour ago, rumak said:

As in most things on the "net".......many diverse opinions about this fish.  In Thai it is usually called pla top tim  (from my experience).  and yes, it is farmed.  Who is doing the farming is probably the question/answer to whether it is healthy or not.  Same can be said of chicken, pork, almost anything,,,,,,,,, No ?

One post from the net about this fish  :  Plaa thap thim - ปลาทับทิม - is Oreochromis niloticus, known in English as 'tilapia', and in Thailand it's usually farmed.   Left that in...but meant to post this :berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food/food-safety/article/truth-about-tilapia

SORRY  to the OP......yes,  i know this might be "wasting your time" as it is not about Kelly's...... but some

here seem to be interested in the different kinds of fish that are commonly cooked here in CM

Agree that the same can be said of chicken, pork, etc. – just added that since we were talking about cod vs. tilapia for fish and chips.

Pla tub tim ("Ruby Fish") is a red hybrid Nile tilapia. Pla nin ("Nile fish") is the standard striped Nile tilapia.

35 minutes ago, bubba said:

Agree that the same can be said of chicken, pork, etc. – just added that since we were talking about cod vs. tilapia for fish and chips.

Pla tub tim ("Ruby Fish") is a red hybrid Nile tilapia. Pla nin ("Nile fish") is the standard striped Nile tilapia.

didn't know they were related.   most people in CM seem to prefer tub tim over pla nin.  Steamed or fried,

it tastes pretty good to me !  On average only about 60 baht at the market....in restaurants 120 - 250 baht,

depending on the "ambience".   As far as used for fish in fish and chips.... what do you think?  Should be good as the meat has a mild taste and nice texture.

30 minutes ago, rumak said:

didn't know they were related.   most people in CM seem to prefer tub tim over pla nin.  Steamed or fried,

it tastes pretty good to me !  On average only about 60 baht at the market....in restaurants 120 - 250 baht,

depending on the "ambience".   As far as used for fish in fish and chips.... what do you think?  Should be good as the meat has a mild taste and nice texture.

I think they are the same species.. just different colours.. like you get different coloured Koi Carp and goldfish.

The grey ones are cheaper.. and the pure pink ones the most expensive, then you get the mix colour ones with different amounts of pink and grey on them.  The pink ones have lighter coloured flesh too... but to me they both taste identical... and in most Thai dishes they fish are so smothered with other ingredients and strong flavours that you can't really taste the flesh of the fish itself.   The main reason the pink ones are more expensive is simply the colour looks nice.

I would say that they are healthy to eat.  I know several people who farm them... and they don't use antibiotics in the food.  The reason they are farmed so much here as because they are almost indestructible… tolerant of low oxygen, high temperatures and resistant to disease.  Adaptable to different conditions, they also grow super fast without any kind of growth hormones, and are prolific breeders.

The Pangasius catfish is also hardy and grows fast to a large size.  I find it has almost ZERO flavour, but the flesh is a very nice consistency... similar to Cod.. in that if cooked correctly it is light and flakey.  Also the colour is similar to cod, that is why so many places use this fish when making fish and chips.  It's just a shame is lacks the cods flavour.

I found it interesting that many farangs said to me something like 'Oh, we would never eat catfish.. yuck, Thais eat such nasty things', as they tuck into their fish and chips... not realising that they are eating Pangasius catfish lol.  

Tilapia are farm raised in ponds with who knows what sort of mixture of antibiotics and nutrients.

Tilapia are hearty and do not need nutrients or drugs. 

I know this from first-hand experience. After they get past the early growth, they will eat whatever is in the pond that is organic. You don't even have to give them food. 

51 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Tilapia are hearty and do not need nutrients or drugs. 

I know this from first-hand experience. After they get past the early growth, they will eat whatever is in the pond that is organic. You don't even have to give them food. 

True,some are farmed with pig,chicken pens over the water,so they

can feed well on organics,A.K.A. shit

regards worgeordie

6 hours ago, bubba said:

Blaa nin is tastier in my opinion and the one in the lake I fish. Never seem taptim in the lake.

• 3 weeks later...

On the recommendations of a couple of members,I decided

to try Kelly's,yesterday,been a couple of years since I last ate

there,and with new owners,I was a bit apprehensive. 

On entering the establishment,four tables occupied,a good sign,

the owners are very friendly and welcoming,I chose Cod and chips

,2 bread,butter,curry sauce,and a pot of English tea.

The order arrived,the fish lightly battered,not greasy,proper big chips,

nice whole wheat bread,and a good pot of  Heladiv , Sri Lanka   tea,

not your Liptons gnat's piss tea.

The fish was firm and white,some kind of Cod,very tasty,big portion

of chips, I will give the meal a 9/10,I will be a regular patron again as

it was well worth the 350 THb,for cheap charlies they also offer Pagassius/

Dory. another important note the whole place was spotless,thats worth another

point so 10/10, for fish and chips in Chiang Mai.

regards Worgeordie           P.S. I will not order bread next time,as TOO full,could not anything rest of the day.

Archived