Kelly's Fish and Chips

worgeordie

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

On the recommendations of a couple of members,I decided

to try Kelly's,yesterday,been a couple of years since I last ate

there,and with new owners,I was a bit apprehensive. 

On entering the establishment,four tables occupied,a good sign,

the owners are very friendly and welcoming,I chose Cod and chips

,2 bread,butter,curry sauce,and a pot of English tea.

The order arrived,the fish lightly battered,not greasy,proper big chips,

nice whole wheat bread,and a good pot of  Heladiv , Sri Lanka   tea,

not your Liptons gnat's piss tea.

The fish was firm and white,some kind of Cod,very tasty,big portion

of chips, I will give the meal a 9/10,I will be a regular patron again as

it was well worth the 350 THb,for cheap charlies they also offer Pagassius/

Dory. another important note the whole place was spotless,thats worth another

point so 10/10, for fish and chips in Chiang Mai.

regards Worgeordie           P.S. I will not order bread next time,as TOO full,could not anything rest of the day.

Why on earth would a person looking for flavoursome cod ( the whole point of this entire thread) then put curry sauce on it?! If youre gonna do that, you might as well eat any old crappy fish because you wont taste it anyway!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, EL159 said:

Why on earth would a person looking for flavoursome cod ( the whole point of this entire thread) then put curry sauce on it?! If youre gonna do that, you might as well eat any old crappy fish because you wont taste it anyway!

On the chips,don't you know anything

regards Worgeordie

26 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Havent been back since the days when Emigration was in old Office, and helpfully filled the forms in if you didnt have good English.! Whats there now in Charlies Soi,?.

Looks quite different these days....................

DSCF2538.JPG

I'm in the UK for a couple of months and just down the road from me is a fish and chip shop that was awarded best newcomer of 2018........order cod and chips and out comes a piece of cod that was swimming five miles away in the North Sea just a few days ago and has never seen a the inside of a freezer.....hand battered before your eyes it deep fries in minutes, the fries are freshly fried russets....the combination is orgasmic, the taste, flavour and textures take you to another planet.....five Pounds forty for food that will sate the most ravenous.....I'll never be able to eat fish and chips in Thailand ever again.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

On the chips,don't you know anything

regards Worgeordie

Worgeordie...."Dont I know anything"? Well, yes, I know EVERYTHING about Fish n Chips. I come from the West Riding of Yorkshire where by far the best Fish n Chips on the entire planet come from, and there isnt a single self respecting proper Yorkshireman who would put Curry Sauce on chips! Salt n Vinegar ONLY !!!

Come on, Worgeordie, stick to what you know best....the cultural contribution to the world of food from your native area being Pease Puddding and Newcy Brown.....blimey, no wonder you think its OK to put Curry on Fish n Chips!!

Next you ll be telling us Newcastle United ( havent won a single thing for best part of 60 years) are a top football club!

1 hour ago, EL159 said:

Worgeordie...."Dont I know anything"? Well, yes, I know EVERYTHING about Fish n Chips. I come from the West Riding of Yorkshire where by far the best Fish n Chips on the entire planet come from, and there isnt a single self respecting proper Yorkshireman who would put Curry Sauce on chips! Salt n Vinegar ONLY !!!

Come on, Worgeordie, stick to what you know best....the cultural contribution to the world of food from your native area being Pease Puddding and Newcy Brown.....blimey, no wonder you think its OK to put Curry on Fish n Chips!!

Next you ll be telling us Newcastle United ( havent won a single thing for best part of 60 years) are a top football club!

Thank God I am not a Yorkshireman, they are missing out on something if they don't put curry on their chips,but I bet many do.

,then why do you have to come up with Newcastle United,looks like you have to do that, because you have no other argument,I don't think,

a real man would criticize another's football club on an open forum that is about fish and chips,i just shows bad taste .

It's a good job all Yorkshiremen are not like you,and I have know some good ones.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, EL159 said:

The West Riding of Yorkshire where by far the best Fish n Chips on the entire planet come from

According to you!

I would love to see your proof of that quoted from a number of trusted world wide reviews and considered gastronomic connoisseurs and not an individual's biased opinion.

One minor region of the UK's inflated opinion of it's knowledge and production of any commodity does NOT make it the planet's leader on the subject!

I will eat my fish & chips, or use/consume whatever product according to my tastes and NOT yours.

PS;  Chips, scraps, Deep fried Pizza/Pies&Mars Bars covered in curry sauce with a big black pudding on top covered in brown sauce.  Now that is culinary culture!  Meanwhile back to practicable/available Fish and Chips in CM.

?

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

On the recommendations of a couple of members,I decided

to try Kelly's,yesterday,been a couple of years since I last ate

there,and with new owners,I was a bit apprehensive. 

On entering the establishment,four tables occupied,a good sign,

the owners are very friendly and welcoming,I chose Cod and chips

,2 bread,butter,curry sauce,and a pot of English tea.

The order arrived,the fish lightly battered,not greasy,proper big chips,

nice whole wheat bread,and a good pot of  Heladiv , Sri Lanka   tea,

not your Liptons gnat's piss tea.

The fish was firm and white,some kind of Cod,very tasty,big portion

of chips, I will give the meal a 9/10,I will be a regular patron again as

it was well worth the 350 THb,for cheap charlies they also offer Pagassius/

Dory. another important note the whole place was spotless,thats worth another

point so 10/10, for fish and chips in Chiang Mai.

regards Worgeordie           P.S. I will not order bread next time,as TOO full,could not anything rest of the day.

Ah ha, It sounds like "the piece of cod which passes all understanding"

I'll get my own coat thank you, is that my taxi outside.....

1 hour ago, EL159 said:

You are absolutely correct, the best fish and chips are from West Yorkshire, especially Keighley where they call fish cakes.....scones.

The last time I had fish and chips in geordie land, they left the damn skin on, totally gopping.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:27 PM, EL159 said:

It LOOKS and TASTES like COD. It says its COD on the box it comes in. Clearly in the minutiae of your suspicious mind, you have a problem....but I dont. Sometimes you have to trust people and in this case I do !!!

And salmon fillets and steaks in every Tops is labelled trout.

25 minutes ago, vogie said:

The last time I had fish and chips in geordie land, they left the damn skin on

You are a lucky chap aren't you?  Most foreigners get skinned alive up there from what I've heard!  But that might depend on the scale of the offence before they fillet you.

6 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

You are a lucky chap aren't you?  Most foreigners get skinned alive up there from what I've heard!  But that might depend on the scale of the offence before they fillet you.

Ha ha, my father was a geordie and his father was from the gorbals in Glasgow, I was in safe hands. ?

5 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

⚖️The Scales are Fishy in Tops then.!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think you are trawling the depths with that one, even though I think your true sole is showing through.  Obviously a chip off the old block!

As I have peppered this topic with so many  "a salts" (sic) I will wrap up(in newspaper) and get on my bike!

7 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Does that mean you only use cider vinegar and none of that Northern so called "Malt" stuff?

I do. You can even get it here in Chiang Rai.

I rather steer clear of things from "oop north chuck". It always seemed to get dark early beyond Bristol anyway!

Proper cider is a bit more difficult up here, although there is a pub/restaurant in town ( Hungry Wolf) that serves a decent New Zealand draft cider. Come to mention it he does a decent Fish and chips. Otherwise, it is Strongbow (too sweet and fizzy) or "Moose" (Canadian) which is passable.

Archived