Kelly's Fish and Chips

worgeordie

5 hours ago, EL159 said:

cod ( the whole point of this entire thread)

Being serious for a moment!

BTW the subject of this topic is "Kelly's Fish and Chips".

It is NOT "Kelly's Cod and Chips". 

For quite some time Cod was in such short supply   that it became a rarity (not just in Scotland but world wide) and Haddock and Whiting were used in "plaice" in the Scotland and I believe the rest of the UK.

In Scotland Haddock and Whiting were often offered/preferred to Cod.  On occasion on cost grounds, rather than taste, I may accept,  but were always an alternative when I was growing up and not always on cost grounds. 

I actually prefer the smaller less chunky flake/texture of the non Cod alternatives. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are absolutely correct, the best fish and chips are from West Yorkshire, especially Keighley where they call fish cakes.....scones.

The last time I had fish and chips in geordie land, they left the damn skin on, totally gopping.

Another vote for West Yorkshire !!

Some excellent fish and chips ( and curries too ) , from the edge of Ilkley Moor ( bah’tat ).

And, we also put salt and vinegar on our fish ( cod or haddock ) and chips, and curry sauce ( horrible stuff !!, give me a Rogan Josh any day !! )was available but usually only put on the chips .

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Thank God I am not a Yorkshireman, they are missing out on something if they don't put curry on their chips,but I bet many do.

,then why do you have to come up with Newcastle United,looks like you have to do that, because you have no other argument,I don't think,

a real man would criticize another's football club on an open forum that is about fish and chips,i just shows bad taste .

It's a good job all Yorkshiremen are not like you,and I have know some good ones.

regards worgeordie

Lighten up, Worgeordie, we re having a bit of fun banter here, no need to get nasty, OK?

7 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

OK,can i still put curry on my chips,if i want to ? please.

regards Worgeordie

Errr....Oh, go on then, actually I love Curry....just not with Fish!  Sorry if I upset you, genuinely didnt mean to.... I enjoy your regular little titbits on here.....Peace?

2 hours ago, vogie said:

You are absolutely correct, the best fish and chips are from West Yorkshire, especially Keighley where they call fish cakes.....scones.

So, you never made it as far as Guiseley and tasted the real McCoy?

5 hours ago, EL159 said:

Worgeordie...."Dont I know anything"? Well, yes, I know EVERYTHING about Fish n Chips. I come from the West Riding of Yorkshire where by far the best Fish n Chips on the entire planet come from, and there isnt a single self respecting proper Yorkshireman who would put Curry Sauce on chips! Salt n Vinegar ONLY !!!

Come on, Worgeordie, stick to what you know best....the cultural contribution to the world of food from your native area being Pease Puddding and Newcy Brown.....blimey, no wonder you think its OK to put Curry on Fish n Chips!!

Next you ll be telling us Newcastle United ( havent won a single thing for best part of 60 years) are a top football club!

Geordie, I'll stick up for you, lol... Newcastle European honours. It hasn't quite been 60 years since they won anything.

image.png.385d7b116eb3456668a747d343e1e4ab.png

1 hour ago, merlin2002 said:

Geordie, I'll stick up for you, lol... Newcastle European honours. It hasn't quite been 60 years since they won anything.

image.png.385d7b116eb3456668a747d343e1e4ab.png

Texaco Cup? Anglo Italian Cup? Intertotototototo Cup? Haha....I rest my case !!!

So, you never made it as far as Guiseley and tasted the real McCoy?

I lived 5 miles from Harry’s and it was a real treat to go there, last time I went there was probably 4 years ago for my dad’s 85th.

Actually Harry Ramsden’s shut down in 2011 and is now a Wetherby Whaler ( part of a chain ), the original old hut used to be out back in the car park.
It’s still a good place to go to get the “ big restaurant “ take on F & C’s.

It always seemed ironic to me that the original Harry’s shut down and the remaining 45 ( or so ) restaurants continue to flourish, not to mention the international ones.

Many years ago ( probably 25 ) I was working in Jeddah and a guy in the plant took me for a “ special “ meal !! Harry’s in Jeddah !!
I resisted the temptation to tell him that I could get them down the road from my then home.

why are so many people posting that fish and chips are better in the UK? I haven't been back there for 5 years and have no intention of ever going back but if I did I wouldn't travel to Yorkshire to get something to eat. Ruam Chok is as far as I will go.

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I lived 5 miles from Harry’s and it was a real treat to go there, last time I went there was probably 4 years ago for my dad’s 85th.

Actually Harry Ramsden’s shut down in 2011 and is now a Wetherby Whaler ( part of a chain ), the original old hut used to be out back in the car park.
It’s still a good place to go to get the “ big restaurant “ take on F & C’s.

It always seemed ironic to me that the original Harry’s shut down and the remaining 45 ( or so ) restaurants continue to flourish, not to mention the international ones.

Many years ago ( probably 25 ) I was working in Jeddah and a guy in the plant took me for a “ special “ meal !! Harry’s in Jeddah !!
I resisted the temptation to tell him that I could get them down the road from my then home.

I cycled past the original Harry's going to school everyday, many's the bag of chips had from the outside eating area (couldn't afford fish ? )

Mods, can you please close this thread, it has gone from

Kelly's Fish and Chips Chiang Mai, to who's got the best

fish and chips in West Yorkshire,which has #### all to

do with Thailand, thanks.

regards Worgeordie

If Kelly's once did sell fine fish and chips and if they were indeed the winners of prestigious awards, that was a long time ago and frankly they've since forgotten what their product should look and taste like because today there's no comparison between their fish and chips and good quality fish and chips in the UK. The problem with being an expat of course is that we frequently crave the things we remember from home such as fish and chips and we're happy to accept something close because there are no other choices. Just think about all the places in Thailand selling English fish and chips and how far those products are removed from what authentic fish and chips are really like, the gap is often massive and it keeps increasing. Yes I've eaten fish and chips at Kelly's and yes I've enjoyed them. But then I came back to the UK and had real fish and chips and I realize there is no comparison. All of which is fine and doubtless I shall at some point eat their fish and chips again at some point, but let's not fool our selves that they are the real deal because they aren't.

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

If Kelly's once did sell fine fish and chips and if they were indeed the winners of prestigious awards, that was a long time ago and frankly they've since forgotten what their product should look and taste like because today there's no comparison between their fish and chips and good quality fish and chips in the UK. The problem with being an expat of course is that we frequently crave the things we remember from home such as fish and chips and we're happy to accept something close because there are no other choices. Just think about all the places in Thailand selling English fish and chips and how far those products are removed from what authentic fish and chips are really like, the gap is often massive and it keeps increasing. Yes I've eaten fish and chips at Kelly's and yes I've enjoyed them. But then I came back to the UK and had real fish and chips and I realize there is no comparison. All of which is fine and doubtless I shall at some point eat their fish and chips again at some point, but let's not fool our selves that they are the real deal because they aren't.

The quality of fish and chips is never going to be as good as the

U.K., where they have easy access to good quality,Cod,Haddock,

Whiting,and Pollock, also you can buy Potatoes as a named variety,

so know which ones make the best chips.

In Thailand you have none of that,so what's the point of comparing,

you would most likely find better Thai food here,that is much better

than you would find in the UK,

Living in Thailand you cannot always find things you can easily buy back

in your home country,so you either have to take the next best thing or import

it yourself,have a friend bring it for you,or if you cannot find a substitute do with

out.

So it's pretty pointless to keep saying Fish and Chips are much better in the U.K.

I think we all know that.

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Mods, can you please close this thread, it has gone from

Kelly's Fish and Chips Chiang Mai, to who's got the best

fish and chips in West Yorkshire,which has #### all to

do with Thailand, thanks.

regards Worgeordie

As per your request:

:mfr_closed1:

Archived