Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoop1130

Abused draftee no ‘Servant’, merely ‘borrowed’, says Prawit

Recommended Posts

Abused draftee no ‘Servant’, merely ‘borrowed’, says Prawit

By The Nation

 

28b30d81eb59cfe3f95faa640158f51d.jpeg

 

Faced with media reports about an Army private having to take care of an officer’s chickens and fighting cocks, Deputy Premier and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan on Tuesday insisted that there was no such thing as “servant soldiers”.

 

He said the practice of putting recruits to personal service was a thing of the past in the armed forces.

 

General Prawit allowed, however, that junior soldiers might be “willingly borrowed from other units to voluntarily serve their seniors”.

 

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha refused to respond to media questions on the matter, saying only that it wasn’t his direct responsibility.

 

The secondary question raised on social media is whether young able-bodied men must go through compulsory military training when the country has faced no serious armed threat in decades. 

 

But the chief focus of criticism is the appropriateness of military draftees being assigned to do personal chores for their superiors. It’s common for the “grunts” to help around the house at officers’ residences and run mundane errands.

 

Prawit seemed to imply that the military doesn’t officially have “servants”, but there is a tradition of putting foot soldiers to work polishing shoes.

 

Army chief General Chalermchai Sittisart on Monday said the private at the heart of this matter – he posted a video on Facebook complaining about being mistreated for being a poor rooster groom – would be returned to his unit without suffering repercussions.

 

The private said he was drafted and assigned to Thanarat Infantry Camp in Prachuap Khiri Khan, but had to live in unhygienic conditions while tending to the unidentified officer’s hens and cocks.

 

If he failed to meet expectations, he said, he was often scolded rudely and his face was slapped.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30350258

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We remember you Prawit, how was it.

You survived as a recruit, you weren't beaten to death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

General Prawit allowed, however, that junior soldiers might be “willingly borrowed from other units to voluntarily serve their seniors”.

 

Just like borrowing watches from a friend. Perfectly normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ex-brother-in-law is a senior sergeant and it was normal that young soldiers cleaned his house instead of his lazy wife and the rest of the family. My impression (they live in an Army house near a camp) that this was perfectly normal for him and all other Army personnel and their families living there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

General Prawit allowed, however, that junior soldiers might be “willingly borrowed from other units to voluntarily serve their seniors”.

That’s still a servant soldier.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There ya go, the soldier putting false info out there that is not good for the country's reputation. Couldn't be the other way round as really having servant soldiers for the fat head higher rank officers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That’s still a servant soldier.  

Agree, and no matter how you look at it totally inappropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

My ex-brother-in-law is a senior sergeant and it was normal that young soldiers cleaned his house instead of his lazy wife and the rest of the family. My impression (they live in an Army house near a camp) that this was perfectly normal for him and all other Army personnel and their families living there.

Seen this before in my old condo in Bkk, loud intimidating navy officer's Thai wife had 3 young guys (from conscription) as cleaners, helpers, drivers, laborers, shopping trolley pushers etc., (read servants). 

 

They were terrified of her, and she had no hesitation to abuse them, slap them, kick them and more.

 

The twist is that her navy high ranking husband was also terrified of her, was also regularly slapped, etc.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And as there ain't anyone left believing Prawit (except the ones visibly having no other choice)... In some years, I'm sure he will even be able to say: 'I am not Prawit' to the ones arresting him, with a straight face (...well, this last not being easy with what mother nature did to him)! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

noSeen this before in my old condo in Bkk, loud intimidating navy officer's Thai wife had 3 young guys (from conscription) as cleaners, helpers, drivers, laborers, shopping trolley pushers etc., (read servants). 

 

They were terrified of her, and she had no hesitation to abuse them, slap them, kick them and more.

 

The twist is that her navy high ranking husband was also terrified of her, was also regularly slapped, etc.

 

 

 

I guess the lady didn't have enough torpedo action. Scary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

General Prawit allowed, however, that junior soldiers might be “willingly borrowed from other units to voluntarily serve their seniors”.

Yeah. We know how that works. 'Eeny, meeny, miny... You. Congratulations, you have just volunteered. Got a problem with that, have you...?'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

General Prawit allowed, however, that junior soldiers might be “willingly borrowed from other units to voluntarily serve their seniors”.

How do you borrow a person ?  Just shows you people are a commodity in this country.

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha refused to respond to media questions on the matter, saying only that it wasn’t his direct responsibility. 

Neither is twerking, but he has lots to say about that.  I take having to put up with twerking over face slaps any day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said the practice of putting recruits to personal service was a thing of the past in the armed forces.

 

General Prawit allowed, however, that junior soldiers might be “willingly borrowed from other units to voluntarily serve their seniors”.

So, if they did they could although the practice doesn't go on anymore. But they did because they could. So if they could wouldn't you think they would now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

That’s still a servant soldier.  

Yes, a pig dressed up is still a pig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...