British caver says he approached by U.S., British lawyers over Musk's comments

webfact

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Those libel cases probably absent requiring proof of malice which might not be the case in USA for Mr. Unsworth.

... and at least in California, where Mr. Musk has employed 10+ thousands of persons at his various ventures with further ripple economic effects, he may not be so unlikable as you suggest.

Just because he has the biggest pockets full of money and owns most of the Jobs doesn't make him liked. It may well be the same as the old mine and mill owners in northern England hated, but local people still had to take theirs hats off in there presence. But would have rather have him long gone, putting food on the table has nothing to do with liking and respecting. The man is a spoilt bully and someone had to tell him get lost you are wrong. How dare you tell me  I'm wrong ,do you know who I am.

31 minutes ago, Mattd said:

So, you would be perfectly happy if someone rich and famous declared to the whole world that you are a "pedo" just because you stated that the contraption you designed would not work, albeit with a sad choice of words, even though you physically had been where the contraption was supposed to go and that rich person or any of his staff had not, which would make you better qualified than the rich person and any of his so called experts?

There was a huge difference between the two statements and unless Mr. Musk has any foundation to back up his statement, which I seriously doubt, then he should be penalised, one way or another, these kind of statements can ruin somebody's life, Vern's statement would come nowhere near to ruining Musk's life, his huge ego yes, life nope!

The other difference is that NONE of the volunteer rescuers did any of what they did for publicity or profit, in fact most shunned publicity, Musk did what he did ONLY for the publicity and the potential profiteering later on, the man is a sorry human being IMHO.

There seems to be some contradiction in your opinion? In regards to attention and I thank the Brit as I do everyone who took part in rescuing the boys and coach but what was the Brit doing on T.V. doing so many interviews, would interviews be considered attention?  Would you think just saying it was a good try but doesn't work enough like majority indicated instead his interview seems to show a bit of anger or resentment at Musk?

remark telling him to shove it up his ass?

I say good luck to the Brit, and get what he is after?  surely Lawyers are going to use him to no end to get their own attention in this matter in the media.  Even if he gets a million multiply by 43 that comes out to 43 million baht nice price to pay for being called a name! 

31 minutes ago, Mattd said:

So, you would be perfectly happy if someone rich and famous declared to the whole world that you are a "pedo" just because you stated that the contraption you designed would not work, albeit with a sad choice of words, even though you physically had been where the contraption was supposed to go and that rich person or any of his staff had not, which would make you better qualified than the rich person and any of his so called experts?

There was a huge difference between the two statements and unless Mr. Musk has any foundation to back up his statement, which I seriously doubt, then he should be penalised, one way or another, these kind of statements can ruin somebody's life, Vern's statement would come nowhere near to ruining Musk's life, his huge ego yes, life nope!

The other difference is that NONE of the volunteer rescuers did any of what they did for publicity or profit, in fact most shunned publicity, Musk did what he did ONLY for the publicity and the potential profiteering later on, the man is a sorry human being IMHO.

There seems to be some contradiction in your opinion? In regards to attention and I thank the Brit as I do everyone who took part in rescuing the boys and coach but what was the Brit doing on T.V. doing so many interviews, would interviews be considered attention?  Would you think just saying it was a good try but doesn't work enough like majority indicated instead his interview seems to show a bit of anger or resentment at Musk?

remark telling him to shove it up his ass?

I say good luck to the Brit, and get what he is after?  surely Lawyers are going to use him to no end to get their own attention in this matter in the media.  Even if he gets a million multiply by 43 that comes out to 43 million baht nice price to pay for being called a name! 

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

There seems to be some contradiction in your opinion? In regards to attention and I thank the Brit as I do everyone who took part in rescuing the boys and coach but what was the Brit doing on T.V. doing so many interviews, would interviews be considered attention?

Did they do any interviews ?

I do not recall seeing them do any interviews at all .

19 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Mr Unsworth, walk away and leave this name calling individual to shout alone in his own dark abyss. You have the admiration and thanks of everyone who followed the amazing rescue. Your personal satisfaction and the resultant gratitude from the public for a job well done must be worth more than a public slagging battle. Best wishes.

Then he will have the situation where he seems to accept Musks allegations uncontested .

He has been accused and he will need to Court case to prove the allegations are unfounded

For those who want to take the time and energy,  a good read and hopefully a better understanding of libel and slander laws in the US.  Frankly, I prefer a legal environment that goes to greater lengths in protecting 'free speech' than the other alternative -- especially the alternative that exists in Thailand. Just talk to Andy Hall.

https://repository.law.miami.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1287&context=umiclr

11 minutes ago, Aupee said:

Just because he has the biggest pockets full of money and owns most of the Jobs doesn't make him liked. <snip>

The only difference it would make is if/when a jury would become involved

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Then he will have the situation where he seems to accept Musks allegations uncontested .

He has been accused and he will need to Court case to prove the allegations are unfounded

no it means he is ignoring them

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No guarantee he would win any Court libel case.

6 minutes ago, Matthew2027 said:

Very disgusting comment from Musk.... I'm not 'sus'  or a 'pedo' just because I choose to live in beautiful Thailand. Sue him,  give a bit to charity and enhance your retirement fund.

we only have your word for that but if you go to court and  show me Ill accept it..............see how nuts it is

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Shares of Tesla Inc fell more than 3.5 percent on Monday, knocking almost $2 billion off the company's market value.

And after a brief knee-jerk reaction (probably algorithmic trading) the stock price rose higher than it had been before the brouhaha.

tesla.png.07f2b5458593aa585abe67fdbc0690e8.png

If good ol' Vern is really being serious about seeking counsel, the best advice right now is keep his OWN counsel and stop yapping to Reuters and the like. Someone up there who knows him should tell him to pull his head in.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Incorrect on both counts. He has already refuted the remarks in public, and the onus is not on Mr Unsworth to prove his innocence, but for a prosecutor to prove his guilt. The obvious absence of proof and resultant charges makes this very unlikely. I think the general public are smart enough to dismiss the petulance of a public figure (Mr Musk) who has thrown his toys out of his cot, so to speak.

45 minutes ago, kannot said:

Its  pretty clear to any sane person he isnt a paedophile his life wont be ruined it will be even more respected and even more so if  he  just lets it go

I do agree that the sane ones amongst us will respect Vern more, however, this will have an impact, as human nature dictates that a lot of people will see Musk's comments as gospel, a comment like this, made by somebody like Musk, holds weight with some people, that is fact and one of the many negatives of social media. 

These people have their followers on social media who, for whatever reason, simply believe everything they say without question and now because of Musk's malice comments Vern has to live with that for the rest of his life and this will make differences to it.

For example, it is like the teacher who gets accused of rape and acquitted, in reality the doubt will always remain in some peoples minds and usually it ends with them losing their career. 

Once an inference is made it is damn near impossible to remove and the more famous the person who makes it, the more impact it has.

UK tabloids have been doing it for years!

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Someone up there who knows him should tell him to pull his head in.

I think Vern wanted his 15 minutes of fame and then quickly discovered that his "indomitable spirit" can get crushed. Now he wants to open another Pandora's Box and doesn't understand the risk he and his reputation are taking.

On 7/14/2018 at 9:32 AM, rooster59 said:

Vern's indomitable spirit was also encapsulated in a Facebook post on the page of Thapanee Ietsrichai that showed him taping up split boots before getting on with the job and going back in the cave.

3 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Incorrect on both counts. He has already refuted the remarks in public, 

Has he ?

When did Musk do that ?

Simply deleted something isnt refuting it , he needs to publicly retract the allegation and to state that the allegations are untrue and unfounded 

37 minutes ago, kannot said:

"i would worry about the ngo's who might add your photo to the international list of pedos"

so you wont mind  if i publish your photo online and call you a paedophile?

there is no point in suing somebody if they don't have any money.

do you have any money?

23 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

There seems to be some contradiction in your opinion? In regards to attention and I thank the Brit as I do everyone who took part in rescuing the boys and coach but what was the Brit doing on T.V. doing so many interviews, would interviews be considered attention?

No contradiction, the interviews were afterwards and not really publicity seeking.

Whereas Musk came in, Hey look at me and what I can do.

If he REALLY wanted to save the boys and nothing else, then he could have certainly done it with a lot less fanfare.

What Musk said was stupid and insulting. He should apologize. However, what Unsworth said was stupid and insulting. He should also apologize. To suggest that he (Unsworth) knows what was in the mind of Musk is insulting.  Only the Tarot card readers in Thailand know what is in the minds of people.

Musk didn't do it for publicity in my mind. This guy may be a jerk but he ain't stupid.  Why would he? He gets a billion dollars of publicity other ways. What if they used his contraption and someone died?  Think he didn't think of that?  You think that would be good for his businesses? Not a lot of bright bulbs here.  

Besides that you can go to any swimming pool in Tland and see at least one pedo playing with the kids. I've seen it many many times.  I've stopped it twice.  Must be a reason they all come to Tland. Wonder why?

As far as libel goes if the insurance companies are chasing him they are ambulance chasers looking for publicity.  Which is illegal in the USA, not sure about England or Australia.  So this guy would then be using a law firm that is doing what he (Unsworth) is accusing Musk of doing. Hmm

As far as the libel goes good luck with that.  Very difficult to prove and harder yet to show he has lost money due to the name calling.  

What he did also called free speech in America. You can even call Trump an orangutan like Bill Maher implied. Trump sued him and lost in court.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Apparently Vern Unsworth is taking advice from the British law firm Grabbit & Run, his contact there being Sue Ellen.

I heard he's gone with the US law firm of Dewey, Dewem and Howe.

Good luck to Vern: Musk is a loud mouthed boor and when people say his employees love him, that is probably true; but his investors and analysts, you know, the boneheads, are worried that he may well be in melt down.

3 minutes ago, todlad said:

I heard he's gone with the US law firm of Dewey, Dewem and Howe.

Good luck to Vern: Musk is a loud mouthed boor and when people say his employees love him, that is probably true; but his investors and analysts, you know, the boneheads, are worried that he may well be in melt down.

haha Tesla went up 4 percent yesterday. Quite a meltdown. Maybe what Musk said will spur the cops in Tland to clamp down on all the Pedos that do live there and throw them in jail- a good thing.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Apparently Vern Unsworth is taking advice from the British law firm Grabbit & Run, his contact there being Sue Ellen.

He also had an interesting nibble from the established law firm across the pond... Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.

Archived