British caver says he approached by U.S., British lawyers over Musk's comments

webfact

I guess he said the first thing that come to his mind, which is pretty similar to the opinion that many people have of older guys living in Thailand.

The Brit had a go at him first and he produced evidence and the Brit still wouldn’t shut up.

Brit needs to be a little careful he only needs one person to point a finger at him.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

haha Tesla went up 4 percent yesterday. Quite a meltdown. Maybe what Musk said will spur the cops in Tland to clamp down on all the Pedos that do live there and throw them in jail- a good thing.

Let's take a longer term view than 24 hours shall we?

4% was the regaining of the losses made on Wall Street on Monday, following Musk's stupid comment.

Do you know why I used the word bonehead in my post? If you do, then you know that Musk is teetering on the edge of failing to deliver on one of his key milestones with Tesla Model 3. Everyone but Musk seems to know that he is burning cash faster then he can earn it. Everyone else seems to know that it would be better for Musk to go for a share (stock) issue rather than issuing more debt.

You can check what I am saying but making a profit is a rare event for Tesla: sales are growing but he hasn't made a profit for at least 10 years. If you think profit means nothing, his EBITDA has been negative for 7 of the last 10 years and whilst there is cash in the bank, his Free Cash Flow has been negative for ten years too. The share price has stalled over the last year too.

That's why I talked about a, longer than 24 hour, melt down.

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Has he ?

When did Musk do that ?

Simply deleted something isnt refuting it , he needs to publicly retract the allegation and to state that the allegations are untrue and unfounded 

No, I meant that Mr Unsworth has refuted the remark made by Musk.

In my opinion this kind of sub-story shouldn't receive half the publicity or media attention that it has done. It now runs the risk of really detracting from the original story - the one that counts!

It was after all, a story of international cooperation for the betterment of a small group of kids, comprised of expert planning, top class teamwork and real benevolence, courage and altruism on the part of a great many people. The kind of of story that people need to hear about in the daily lives, to remind us all that the man in the street is decent and cares. This petty, vacuous little squabble between someone who perhaps chose his words unwisely in light of their setting, but is basically a hero in all of this - and - an egomaniac engineering genius who is clearly a bit of a loon that suffers greatly from insecurity and narcissistic tendencies.

People have put together such a concerted and well coordinated effort that has spanned countries, cultures and languages to enable this REAL FEAT of human endeavour to come off successfully and a valiant man died in the process. This silly, irrelevant horseshit is sadly so typical of the attitude of too many people, and is intentionally sensationalised & thus perpetuated, by the rag-media out there, in particular. Do it IN PRIVATE and let's put this paltry little debacle to bed and celebrate the real story and await an update as to the condition of the lads from the cave. 

6 minutes ago, todlad said:

Let's take a longer term view than 24 hours shall we?

4% was the regaining of the losses made on Wall Street on Monday, following Musk's stupid comment.

Do you know why I used the word bonehead in my post? If you do, then you know that Musk is teetering on the edge of failing to deliver on one of his key milestones with Tesla Model 3. Everyone but Musk seems to know that he is burning cash faster then he can earn it. Everyone else seems to know that it would be better for Musk to go for a share (stock) issue rather than issuing more debt.

You can check what I am saying but making a profit is a rare event for Tesla: sales are growing but he hasn't made a profit for at least 10 years. If you think profit means nothing, his EBITDA has been negative for 7 of the last 10 years and whilst there is cash in the bank, his Free Cash Flow has been negative for ten years too. The share price has stalled over the last year too.

That's why I talked about a, longer than 24 hour, melt down.

yadee yada yada. you said Tesla would melt down over this squabble. no it won't. If it would have it would have yesterday like Facebook at first.  FB dropped to $149 and now look at it a month later. 

5 minutes ago, malcoml said:

I guess he said the first thing that come to his mind, which is pretty similar to the opinion that many people have of older guys living in Thailand.

The Brit had a go at him first and he produced evidence and the Brit still wouldn’t shut up.

Brit needs to be a little careful he only needs one person to point a finger at him.

I had a tiny run in on twitter with a very well known journalist on The Times a couple of years ago. He took a look at my profile and, having seen that I live in Thailand, he called me ... guess what ... a paedophile. I told him I was considering legal advice and I did a bit of trawling to see what was best for me. His then equally famous sister chipped in and said it is highly unlikely that her brother would say something like that and said she was good at betting and would bet a substantial sum against me.

I could have won a lot of money since I had and still have that tweet with the journalist's name for all to see! I replied and said it would be a stupid bet and I wouldn't take her money.

In the end, not being a lawyer, I decided not to proceed with any action since a journalist with a lawyer is almost certain to have all sorts of tricks up his sleeve.

Vern is probably in a better position than me and anyway, I am a nobody but he is famous, at least for now.

20 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

haha Tesla went up 4 percent yesterday. Quite a meltdown. Maybe what Musk said will spur the cops in Tland to clamp down on all the Pedos that do live there and throw them in jail- a good thing.

That sounds like something only a dufus would say.

Oh, wait...

1 hour ago, kannot said:

so a quick phone  call would be all thats  needed.

I don't think a phone call would work. Musk needs to issue a public retraction, say it was words said in anger  and not meant to be a serious allegation.

They don't have to kiss and make up, they can leave it as mutual dislike, but dislike and accusing someone of pedophilia are very different things.

If Musk had just called him an a**hole or idiot there's be no issue. But instead he made a very, very serious and awful criminal accusation. That is a significant escalation over what was initially just a name calling spat.

The allegation was made publicly to 22 million people (and by now has reached many more).

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

. and at least in California, where Mr. Musk has employed 10+ thousands of persons at his various ventures with further ripple economic effects, he may not be so unlikable as you suggest.

I just got back from California.  Musk was viewed as clown by everyone I met in San Francisco and Los Angeles.  His tweet is getting coverage in the local media there, and all of its negative.  Everyone I met (Silicon valley, West LA) viewed him as a huckster.  Recent events in Europe have made the Californians I met hostile to self-aggrandizing Americans creating problems abroad.  Musk's comments were seen in that light.

3 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

yadee yada yada. you said Tesla would melt down over this squabble. no it won't. If it would have it would have yesterday like Facebook at first.  FB dropped to $149 and now look at it a month later. 

Oh dear!

Please quote where I said Tesla is in melt down.

I see, you want to play the game of my share dropped further than your share? Take a look at the history of Ryanair then for a stunning collapse ... a few years ago.

Seems to be inconsistent reporting on this. One source said that the British diver replied to Musk's offer with 'he can stick that sub where it hurts' ...? That's a bit of banter, and now he's pulling a Neymar Jr. c. World Cup 2018. Can't say that I blame him if legal counsel can guarantee a nice cash settlement ...

35 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I do agree that the sane ones amongst us will respect Vern more, however, this will have an impact, as human nature dictates that a lot of people will see Musk's comments as gospel, a comment like this, made by somebody like Musk, holds weight with some people, that is fact and one of the many negatives of social media. 

These people have their followers on social media who, for whatever reason, simply believe everything they say without question and now because of Musk's malice comments Vern has to live with that for the rest of his life and this will make differences to it.

For example, it is like the teacher who gets accused of rape and acquitted, in reality the doubt will always remain in some peoples minds and usually it ends with them losing their career. 

Once an inference is made it is damn near impossible to remove and the more famous the person who makes it, the more impact it has.

UK tabloids have been doing it for years!

Even here on TV there were posters who said, in effect: Musk must have some proof  that this is true or he wouldn't have said it, because Musk is too smart to make an accusation like that without evidence.

He's not and he did, but there are people who have such faith in him that anything he says carries weight.

3 minutes ago, Horace said:

... Recent events in Europe have made the Californians I met hostile to self-aggrandizing Americans creating problems abroad. ...

Really? Along with Ahnold's "wet noodle" admonishment, mean that CA is actually going to try and secede from the union?

1 hour ago, charmonman said:

What are you talking about? He didn't say something negative about Musk's company or its workers other than that Musk's mini-submarine idea had no chance of working. For upsetting this <deleted>'s fragile ego he is accused of being a pedophile? You think that's a normal human reaction? No, it's not normal, it is called slander.

I agree with you 100 percent, though I'd prefer it if Mr Unsworth hadn't said to Musk "stick it where it hurts". Musk's response, however, was totally unacceptable - something only a spoilt rich brat would say.

1 minute ago, dufusdonald said:

Musk provided a snapshot of an sms from one of the Brit divers who told him to continue working on the sub. Unsworth may not have known that.  He's gonna look pretty stupid if Musk can verify it.

Oh... I was thinking you meant evidence of good ol' Vern being bent.

1 hour ago, DinoSabanovic said:

To me this stupid. How can someone say something negative about the company and workers that work there and get away with it? And when it is responded to that accusation, get all frustrated and threaten to take legal actions. Musk responded and that was normal human reaction. The thing "pedo" is a bit much but I do understand him. 

Not surprised at all that the U.S. legal vultures would like to have a shot at making a name for themselves, but it looks like it's rubbing off with U.K. too.

Doubt we'll get a lawyers 11 a side match out of this one though.  My bet is Unsworth doesn't really want the hassle, but is positioning himself for an incoming phone call to say 'geez, how much?' where he settles out of court for 'an undisclosed sum' and a gag order.  Nice retirement, and since it's Elon, that means the U.S. tax payers will be footing a large portion of the bill.

Remind me to have a waiver drawn up for any Twitter trolls I come across on any given day.  The world must be in amazing shape if these kind of things are the biggest issues around.

I no longer have any respect for either of them, despite prior achievements of both.

If this guy sues Musk he has to:

1. Prove Musk said it with malice.  Since his tweet was a reaction to Unsworth's tweet that Musk could stick the sub up his ass good luck with that

2. Prove he is not a Pedo (how do you do that?)

3. Prove Musk's tweet has caused him financial loss (does this guy even work anymore?)

Good luck with all that

I saw this morning on the news a list with 7 (not sure about the number) of points to follow by REAL divers presented by the Navy Seal.

One point was (don't recall the exact words):

- In a rescue missions every input is as good as yours.

There is no bad idea.
  The only bad idea is no idea.

Shows the Mister Vermin Unworthy is not backed up be the Navy Seals with is attacks in Elon Musk.

I would be very careful if I was in his shoes.
After all, it would not be the first time that evidence of being a pedofile is found in a search on his hard-disk.
Don't push your luck too far.

3 minutes ago, Shiver said:

Not surprised at all that the U.S. legal vultures would like to have a shot at making a name for themselves, but it looks like it's rubbing off with U.K. too.

Doubt we'll get a lawyers 11 a side match out of this one though.  My bet is Unsworth doesn't really want the hassle, but is positioning himself for an incoming phone call to say 'geez, how much?' where he settles out of court for 'an undisclosed sum' and a gag order.  Nice retirement, and since it's Elon, that means the U.S. tax payers will be footing a large portion of the bill.

Remind me to have a waiver drawn up for any Twitter trolls I come across on any given day.  The world must be in amazing shape if these kind of things are the biggest issues around.

I no longer have any respect for either of them, despite prior achievements of both.

Why would the US taxpayers be footing the bill?

14 minutes ago, Horace said:

I just got back from California.  Musk was viewed as clown by everyone I met in San Francisco and Los Angeles.  <snip>

And none of that makes any difference unless it came to picking a jury.

9 minutes ago, hobobo said:

I agree with you 100 percent, though I'd prefer it if Mr Unsworth hadn't said to Musk "stick it where it hurts". Musk's response, however, was totally unacceptable - something only a spoilt rich brat would say.

And had Musk been employed by his Company , that would be a sack-able offence

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I don't think a phone call would work. Musk needs to issue a public retraction, say it was words said in anger  and not meant to be a serious allegation.

Is that a legal opinion? Unless there was some two-way agreement in place, Musk could do so and then Unsworth could still go ahead and sue.

Archived