British caver says he approached by U.S., British lawyers over Musk's comments

webfact

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Has he ?

When did Musk do that ?

Simply deleted something isnt refuting it , he needs to publicly retract the allegation and to state that the allegations are untrue and unfounded 

But instead Musk tweeted, " I bet ya a signed dollar that the story is true"

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/15/elon-musk-tweets-hell-bet-ya-a-signed-dollar-that-thai-cave-rescuer-is-a-pedo/

1 minute ago, oldlakey said:

When somebody makes an allegation against you, YOU refute it

The person who makes the allegation withdraws it they do not refute it

Thats neither here nor there, the point is you totally misunderstood what was being sad in POST 51 and its there for all to see 

Have a nice day

OK , I may have misunderstood a post , can you accept that I may have misunderstood what he meant and forgive me ?

There may have been a misunderstanding and I accept that .

I accept that you are superior to me and that you never misunderstand anything .

You have success and achievement , well done , you champ 

1 minute ago, dufusdonald said:

So you can get sued in Thailand for slandering a user name?  

And worse.

That's what the 'computer crimes act' bit is all about... forensics. Social media rolls over in LOS when someone with a warrant comes calling for IP addresses, account details, etc.. Why do you think some of the most ardent anti-establishment Thais pitch their tents in England? Not for the fine weather and cuisine, that's for sure.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

OK , I may have misunderstood a post , can you accept that I may have misunderstood what he meant and forgive me ?

There may have been a misunderstanding and I accept that .

I accept that you are superior to me and that you never misunderstand anything .

You have success and achievement , well done , you champ 

Check my posting history literally littered with mistakes of all kinds

Which I believe and trust I held my hands up to as soon as they were pointed out to me

No problem from my end

Do have a nce day

I read somewhere maybe Linkedin? that the premise to this was that the diver initially commented something like... that the mini-sub wont work and its better to stick it somewhere where it hurts...

That comment lead to the pedo response. Let me search on it. I hope i can find that post. True/untrue i dont know, just read it somewhere online.

1 minute ago, FishbowlFX said:

I read somewhere maybe Linkedin? that the premise to this was that the diver initially commented something like... that the mini-sub wont work and its better to stick it somewhere where it hurts...

That comment lead to the pedo response. Let me search on it. I hope i can find that post. True/untrue i dont know, just read it somewhere online.

It would be better if you would go and find out what was said FIRST , before coming here and posting that you dont know

3 hours ago, kannot said:

Its  pretty clear to any sane person he isnt a paedophile his life wont be ruined it will be even more respected and even more so if  he  just lets it go

I don't know, there are an awful lot of people in the west that think anyone who settles in Thailand is either a paedo or a dirty old man. I'm here for the temples of course, just ask my Thai wife.

22 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

Hey 0815 I think you should stick your comments up where it hurts.  lol  You ok with that? 

I was expecting this comment to come from either sanemax or oldlackey  to be closely followed by Musk's reply.  ? 

Totally left-field in response to 815's comment which I thought was spot on. 

4 minutes ago, steve73 said:

I was expecting this comment to come from either sanemax or oldlackey  to be closely followed by Musk's reply.  ? 

Totally left-field in response to 815's comment which I thought was spot on. 

It's called satire. Some people here have no sense of humor.  Strangely, some people  here seem to have no knowledge that Mr Unsworth said:

A) Musk did it all for publicity

B) His submarine would not work in the cave

C) Said he could stick his sub up his ass

If Mr Unsworth had not defamed, libeled and insulted Musk in the first place we would all be about getting happy ending massages this morning instead of laughing ourselves silly over this posting.  Mr U started this. Just saying.  

1 hour ago, dufusdonald said:

Well using common sense I imagine you have to file where the criminal/civil act took place. I could be dead wrong. 

It could be interesting. Did Musk tweet the comment while physically present in Thailand? From a Thai server or US server? Does that matter? I don't know; I only know about US defamation law, which is civil, of course, not criminal.

5 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

It's called satire. Some people here have no sense of humor.  

Pulling unannounced satire without forewarning and/or emoticons on a forum chock full of been-there-done-that, recalcitrant old farts?

You're so sharp you'll cut yourself.

39 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

Musk is well known internationally.  This guy was a nobody.  Musk has been damaged a whole lot more. Just reading these idiotic posts tells you that a lot of folks think he did it solely for publicity.  

Which is the very reason why Musk should be very careful what is puts on his social media, as he has a far wider audience than normal people, where has, apart from his ego, Musk been damaged by Vern's comments?

Personally I think that he has damaged himself far far more by this post and others, more than anything Vern has said and it may well be his downfall in the future, if he continues to react to criticism in the same manner.

Regarding publicity,  please answer this, if Musk designed and built his submarine purely for the sole purpose of saving the lives of those stuck in the cave, then why did he feel the need to announce this to the world whilst documenting every step on social media and the world's press? 

Could he not have done the same without publicising it?

Now, take a look at the flip side, Vern and many many others gave up their time, risked their lives (literally) and got the job done (thankfully) BEFORE any interviews with the media or posting for the world to see how good they are!

Oh and this "nobody" as you so eloquently describe Vern, did at least save lives, try telling the families of those trapped he is a nobody, how many lives has Musk helped to save in the past?

Money doesn't make the man!

2 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

It could be interesting. Did Musk tweet the comment while physically present in Thailand? From a Thai server or US server? Does that matter? I don't know; I only know about US defamation law, which is civil, of course, not criminal.

He probably was using his satellite phone. So those signals bounce off a satellite. So who has jurisdiction over a satellite phone?

5 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

It's called satire. Some people here have no sense of humor.  Strangely, some people  here seem to have no knowledge that Mr Unsworth said:

A) Musk did it all for publicity

B) His submarine would not work in the cave

C) Said he could stick his sub up his ass

Just need to say that *C* is incorrect .

He didnt say "ass" .

He said " Stick it where it hurts" and he could have meant his ego .

Like , Musks pride and ego were hurt , so go and stick your submarine there .

Musk did seek publicity and his submarine didnt work

4 hours ago, DinoSabanovic said:

To me this stupid. How can someone say something negative about the company and workers that work there and get away with it? And when it is responded to that accusation, get all frustrated and threaten to take legal actions. Musk responded and that was normal human reaction. The thing "pedo" is a bit much but I do understand him. 

I don't approve of What Mr Musk said about Mr Unsworth - but I can fully understand WHY he said it. To most uninformed people - Thailand's image is of a rampantly corrupt, criminally-infested country that is 'home' to arguably the world's largest pedophile population. Put in those terms, it's a very easy assumption to make.

2 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Incorrect on both counts. He has already refuted the remarks in public, and the onus is not on Mr Unsworth to prove his innocence, but for a prosecutor to prove his guilt. The obvious absence of proof and resultant charges makes this very unlikely. I think the general public are smart enough to dismiss the petulance of a public figure (Mr Musk) who has thrown his toys out of his cot, so to speak.

He apparently has not refuted the remarks in public according to the article "Unsworth said he hadn't flatly denied Musk's accusation because he was waiting for legal advice."

You have the whole burden of proof idea backwards.  If he decides to bring a libel suit, the onus is on Mr. Unsworth to prove libel.  No "prosecutor" would be involved in a libel suit (unless he decides to bring a criminal libel suit).  It would be plaintiff's attorney vs. defendant's attorney.

4 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Which is the very reason why Musk should be very careful what is puts on his social media, as he has a far wider audience than normal people, where has, apart from his ego, Musk been damaged by Vern's comments?

Personally I think that he has damaged himself far far more by this post and others, more than anything Vern has said and it may well be his downfall in the future, if he continues to react to criticism in the same manner.

Regarding publicity,  please answer this, if Musk designed and built his submarine purely for the sole purpose of saving the lives of those stuck in the cave, then why did he feel the need to announce this to the world whilst documenting every step on social media and the world's press? 

Could he not have done the same without publicising it?

Now, take a look at the flip side, Vern and many many others gave up their time, risked their lives (literally) and got the job done (thankfully) BEFORE any interviews with the media or posting for the world to see how good they are!

Oh and this "nobody" as you so eloquently describe Vern, did at least save lives, try telling the families of those trapped he is a nobody, how many lives has Musk helped to save in the past?

Money doesn't make the man!

We can agree to disagree. Since Musk has a much wide audience than this guy Vern any accusations against him will influence more people against him and damage him more as well as damage his companies. On the other hand Vern is not well known and cannot be damaged financially. I meant no disrespect in calling him a nobody.  I meant it in terms of who knows the guy. Btw, I do not think he risked his life as he was not one of the divers. I stand corrected if wrong but I recall him saying he was not even a diver only a guy who walked the cave in dry season.  As far as Musk publicizing each step not totally aware of that however perhaps he did it to give people hope. Would that be a bad thing?  I cannot believe or don't want to believe Musk or anyone else would try and make hay out of a tragedy just for publicity. They worked 24/7 to get it done.  Given time it would have been a dry run to test it to see if it worked in the cave or not. Certainly they would not have used it with the kids unless they got it all the way to where the kids were. Pretty stupid to suggest otherwise.  So there. Just my nonsense input.

7 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

He probably was using his satellite phone. So those signals bounce off a satellite. So who has jurisdiction over a satellite phone?

It does not matter where he was, it matters where someone saw the tweet.  Personally I would sue in the UK, where he has to prove his claim that Unsworth is one  (and where Musk lost against TopGear allready) or/and in Thailand where it could be a criminal prosecution....either public or private and hence our friend Musk would be in very big trouble if he ever came here.

One thing to remember in all this is that if Musk had managed to persuade the rescuers to actually use his contraption, (assuming of course that it would actually work, which I very much doubt for a number of reasons that I won't detail here), then it would only have been capable of rescuing one child at a time - or one per day, since the Thai SEALs would still have had to replace all the air tanks over night.

So even by now there would have still been a few kids to be got out.

I don't know how much rain there's been since the last person left the cave, but the additional time required would have put many more rescuers at significant risk.

It may be that a rescue "sub" could have possible uses in future cave (or other) incidents, although at just 15 " diameter, this one would be unsuitable for most people.

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Just need to say that *C* is incorrect .

He didnt say "ass" .

He said " Stick it where it hurts" and he could have meant his ego .

Like , Musks pride and ego were hurt , so go and stick your submarine there .

Musk did seek publicity and his submarine didnt work

So then Musk didn't say pedophile either but we all know what each meant didn't we?  Best to try and stay consistent. And his submarine does work just don't know it would work in the cave. How can you even say that it didn't work? They didn't try to use it. It's amazing to me how many people here make comments they cannot back up or just make up with no facts.

2 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

So then Musk didn't say pedophile either but we all know what each meant didn't we?  Best to try and stay consistent.

Its quite clear what Musk said  and meant .

That isnt questionable .

Vern said "stick it where it hurts" , and he didnt state where that place was .

If you think that your "ass" is the only place where it hurts , that must be because of your limited lifes experiences

12 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

He apparently has not refuted the remarks in public according to the article "Unsworth said he hadn't flatly denied Musk's accusation because he was waiting for legal advice."

You have the whole burden of proof idea backwards.  If he decides to bring a libel suit, the onus is on Mr. Unsworth to prove libel.  No "prosecutor" would be involved in a libel suit (unless he decides to bring a criminal libel suit).  It would be plaintiff's attorney vs. defendant's attorney.

OSH, I was talking the claim of peadophilia, not any libel suit.

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its quite clear what Musk said  and meant .

That isnt questionable .

Vern said "stick it where it hurts" , and he didnt state where that place was .

If you think that your "ass" is the only place where it hurts , that must be because of your limited lifes experiences

haha  Nice try. You like looking foolish? Want to take a poll to see where people think "stick it where it hurts"refers to? Want to put some money up? I doubt it.

I cannot really see what was wrong for an experienced caver to say of the submarine  "It just has absolutely no chance of working," CNN quoted Unsworth as saying about the submarine. - that is not in anyway insulting to Musk - the response however is another thing - there is a knock on effect of the use of that term and it should never be applied casually as Musk appears to have done.  

Archived