British caver says he approached by U.S., British lawyers over Musk's comments

webfact

24 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Yea and dont forget the CNN interview 1 day after you cant get more public than that.

If you are referring to Vernon's interview, again did he call CNN and request this interview or was it the other way around?

I really wish that people could try to learn to differentiate between publicity after the mission was completed, purely due to the massive worldwide public interest and the gleaning of that same massive interest, whilst the rescue was underway which is tantamount to using that very same interest to publicly to promote your own companies and abilities, they are not the same at all and this is regardless of what was said by either party.

I posted in one of the many threads that were underway at the time of the rescue, that my old Thai company were involved, both with supplying experienced dive personnel and sourcing equipment and that I was a little suspect of their motives at that time, to be fair and to give them their due credit, they did not and still have not made this fact known publicly, even though they could have.

Oh and as a footnote, how many viewers saw the CNN footage, against Mr. Musk's 20,000,000 followers on Twitter and the following press coverage?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently some here may not realize that Richard Stanton, one of two British divers that found the kids said this to Elon early on regarding the sub: "It is absolutely worth continuing with the development of this system in as timely a manner as feasible. If the rain holds out it may well be used". So for all you armchair experts that say this couldn't work from the beginning, you are disagreeing with a cave expert who made the dive and helped come up with the idea and pass on all the crucial specifications to Elon. Stanton, one of the critical cave divers, his words carry more credibility than someone who stepped up to a mic on CNN to millions of people and unleashed a disturbing, insulting, foul language publicity stunt rant. And it was all directed at someone who simply tried his best to help the kids because he was asked to by the cave experts. It was the experts idea, they believed in it, and had things unfolded a bit differently might have proven to be a life saver like Stanton envisioned. Hats off to Elon and all the heroes that stepped up to help.

I will note, per the topic heading, the only thing that interests me here is whether Mr. Unsworth will choose to sue and, if so, in which jurisdiction. The rest, to me, is moot.

But just as a matter of record on Mr. Unsworth's CNN interview -- and that was Mr. Unsworth's answer to that specific question by the CNN correspondent:

630712961_V_UCNN1.png.e35e1750191d873b957351c8ffc6829a.png

1130248565_V_UCNN2.png.864fe4415f970ef11ec19bbb8e5c9526.png

6 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I will note, per the topic heading, the only thing that interests me here is whether Mr. Unsworth will choose to sue and, if so, in which jurisdiction. The rest, to me, is moot.

My Guess is that Mr Unsworth is a kind of stuck with his sue plans - stuck in a way that hurts….:whistling:

6 hours ago, Mattd said:

There is a huge difference between being involuntarily thanked by your own government as opposed to self advertising to the whole world 'look at me, I'm building a mini sub and it will save the children' 

If you can't see that, then I truly feel sorry for you, as it is not even close to being comparable.

What I see is that, even if everything Mr. Unsworth said about the impracticality of Mr. Musk's efforts in the rescue were true and that Musk was a total publicity hound, none of that would matter in a libel suit as it seems the only thing actionable is Musk calling Unsworth a 'pedo'.

And, given the totality of the case and depending on the jurisdiction, all that peripheral stuff about Musk might be irrelevant and the 'pedo' comment alone might not prove sufficient to prove libel/defamation.

... and about the funniest thing about all this is that, if the defamation case were to be held in California, depending on the Judge's procedural ruling, it might be team Unsworth having to prove that he is NOT a 'pedo' rather than team Musk having to prove that he is.

Archived