New ASUS laptop useless, customer service appalling

Smithson

3 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I bought a lenovo for 40,000 baht. Also a peice of shit I would like to throw at the wall. My guess is the hardware is fine but the software (windows 10) is the issue. Absolute lemon of an operating system. I could think of 100 reasons it sucks.

A good example of it being slow. I can download a large file of say 500mb or 1gb quite fast through a torrent client or usenet. However if I try to download a 50mb ebook which is handled by the actual windows OS rather than a client it is so slow. 50mb might take 10 - 15 mins.

If you want to test your hard drive just take it to any computer repair shop they will test it.

I would consider changing your OS to an earlier windows or linux or something. You can even run a ubuntu from a disk that could perhaps rule out some things. I would consider linux myself I am just not sure how it would run on a touch screen 2 in 1 like my crapbox lenovo.

It's always sad when people blame Windows 10 for no good reason.

It works just fine on many many computers.

Yes, it has to be updated and if a lot of updates have to be done this takes time and makes the computer slow at that time.

But after all the updates are done any PC with enough RAM and the correct drivers will work fine with Windows 10.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its funny a lot of people complain about the updates as that is 1 thing i have had no issues with at all.

like everything there is always going to be those for and against. my experience of windows 10 has been bad. a lot of it to do with running it on a 2 in 1 i think.

4 hours ago, Smithson said:

Thanks for the advice on how I can repair the computer. The thing is it's not something I want to do, because it's under warranty. Can anyone offer suggestions of where to complain or other action that can be taken? They're a huge company and will improve their service if forced to by annoying customers and bad publicity.

The hard drive is a replaceable part, replacing it does not void the warranty unless damage is caused to other original components when you replace it (ie: your screwdriver slips) OR damage is caused to other components by the replacement part.  Of course a shop may tell you otherwise because TiT and up to me, in that situation you are back to where you started, dealing with ASUS customer service.

Also, it seems from the manual that this model has an m2 card slot, which you can use and still keep the slow HDD, though you will have to (or get the shop to) reinstall on the M2 drive.

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

looking at the machine specs unless the hard drive is nearly full and or highly fragmented it should not slow the machine so much.

The hard drive mentioned in the spec will be very slow compared to the rest of the machine.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's always sad when people blame Windows 10 for no good reason.

It works just fine on many many computers.

Yes, it has to be updated and if a lot of updates have to be done this takes time and makes the computer slow at that time.

But after all the updates are done any PC with enough RAM and the correct drivers will work fine with Windows 10.

One of my other beefs with Windows is the sheer arrogance of an OS that gives priority to a never-ending stream of patches and updates over the person trying to use it. At least Linux and Ubuntu are polite enough to let the user decide when they want to perform that function. Possibly one can do that with Windows too; however, one would have to go hunting through the menus for it. With Linux, it's the default position.

If you had ever had Windows Vista inflicted on you, you would understand why there are people who despise Microsoft.

53 minutes ago, KonJon said:

Also, it seems from the manual that this model has an m2 card slot, which you can use and still keep the slow HDD, though you will have to (or get the shop to) reinstall on the M2 drive.

It's true that this model may have an M2 slot. But as you mention, adding an M2 drive would be a bit beyond the scope of most end-users.

Following the procedure I described will kill several birds with one stone, and can be done by the end-user without any assistance.

It also leaves the old hard drive in fully working order, just in case the machine needs to go back again under warranty. The old drive can simply be slotted back in to replace the SSD and no one will know.

5 hours ago, Smithson said:

Thanks for the advice on how I can repair the computer. The thing is it's not something I want to do, because it's under warranty. Can anyone offer suggestions of where to complain or other action that can be taken? They're a huge company and will improve their service if forced to by annoying customers and bad publicity.

You could try the Office of Consumer Protection but I doubt that they will be much help.

Otherwise you could try contacting the Thai head office, or even the main head office in Taiwan. How much they will care is anyone's guess. Not very much, I suspect.

55 minutes ago, KittenKong said:
6 hours ago, Smithson said:

You could try the Office of Consumer Protection but I doubt that they will be much help.

Otherwise you could try contacting the Thai head office, or even the main head office in Taiwan. How much they will care is anyone's guess. Not very much, I suspect.

when i had problems with thai olympus authorized service i emailed olympus in japan and suddenly the thai service center cooperated.

asus is a taiwan company and my experience with taiwan companies is quite positive.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:
4 hours ago, atyclb said:

looking at the machine specs unless the hard drive is nearly full and or highly fragmented it should not slow the machine so much.

The hard drive mentioned in the spec will be very slow compared to the rest of the machine.

in my opinion even so the hard drive should not cause such a slowing down of the machine.  sure an ssd will boot faster and has higher read/write speeds but given the other hw spec it should be reasonable with the hd.  windows bogged down somehow is also a possibility..

right now i am using a 2012 macbook pro with inferior hardware specs AND using a hard drive and it flies

Are you sure that the storage device isn't what is known as a "hybrid" drive? Hybrid drives were an idea that Apple was pushing for a short while years ago. The idea was that the spinning drive had a very large cash and software that managed it. It never worked well and was soon dropped. Make sure that it is simply an SSD with no spinning drive.

Asus, like virtually all computer companies include software like anti-virus, games, and other "trial-ware" because they are paid to do so. Many of these programs can cause problems. You do not need, nor should you ever use more than one anti-virus and Win 10 comes with Windows Defender and Microsoft updates the virus definitions almost daily. Multiple AVs will conflict with each other because they detect them as virus like activity. Anti-virus suits usually have fairly heavy over head and most importantly they have been shown to be vectors for "infection". I will let you do the searches to make up your own mind on these points.

Go to Microsoft.com--not any third party site-- and download the Media Creation Tool and build a memory drive with Win 10. Back up any data and format the entire SSD and install windows 10 from this disk. 

After you have a known good installation go to Windows update and check for updates. Then when the updates are all installed of to the beginning of this paragraph and do it again. Don't believe that your system is up-to-date click "Check for Updates". continue to do this until you have rebooted and checked two times and it tells you that your computer is up-to-date.

Next set-up an Admin account seperate from the initial account and password protect it. Log into that account and set the other account to standard user not administrator. Never use the administrator account unless absolutely necessary. Intruders only have the privileges that you have unless they have physical access to the computer. 

Make sure that UAC User Account Control is turned on so you have to use the Admin password to authorize the installation of any software. UAC can be annoying--deal with it--.

Good luck.

If you allowed "remote access", even from a phone number gotten from Windows 10 ("Cortana" - "virtual agent" - then given number); you may have gotten malware installed by the "agent". I had a new ASUS Vivibook, and I made that mistake (allowed Remote access). I took the loss and decided to just destroy the computer. A few days after it happened, Microsoft announced they had fixed a "bug" that allowed hackers to get into "Cortana" and put false phone numbers on it. Will I still trust Microsoft? Yes. However, this time, I will talk to technical support before I buy another computer and make sure I have legitimate numbers and contact. Hackers are everywhere. 

17 hours ago, colinneil said:

OP you say you have a legal version of windows, i doubt that very much.

I bought an Asus K455L 4 years ago told the shop i only wanted genuine windows, yes we only fit genuine never copy.

Well 6 months later, i got problems because it was a copy they had fitted, computer had to go back to have new windows fitted.

my wife's  i7 Asus laptop,  has a manufacturer installed copy of win 10, bought in Thailand

3 hours ago, Tengu said:

Are you sure that the storage device isn't what is known as a "hybrid" drive? Hybrid drives were an idea that Apple was pushing for a short while years ago. The idea was that the spinning drive had a very large cash and software that managed it. It never worked well and was soon dropped. Make sure that it is simply an SSD with no spinning drive.

Asus, like virtually all computer companies include software like anti-virus, games, and other "trial-ware" because they are paid to do so. Many of these programs can cause problems. You do not need, nor should you ever use more than one anti-virus and Win 10 comes with Windows Defender and Microsoft updates the virus definitions almost daily. Multiple AVs will conflict with each other because they detect them as virus like activity. Anti-virus suits usually have fairly heavy over head and most importantly they have been shown to be vectors for "infection". I will let you do the searches to make up your own mind on these points.

Go to Microsoft.com--not any third party site-- and download the Media Creation Tool and build a memory drive with Win 10. Back up any data and format the entire SSD and install windows 10 from this disk. 

After you have a known good installation go to Windows update and check for updates. Then when the updates are all installed of to the beginning of this paragraph and do it again. Don't believe that your system is up-to-date click "Check for Updates". continue to do this until you have rebooted and checked two times and it tells you that your computer is up-to-date.

Next set-up an Admin account seperate from the initial account and password protect it. Log into that account and set the other account to standard user not administrator. Never use the administrator account unless absolutely necessary. Intruders only have the privileges that you have unless they have physical access to the computer. 

Make sure that UAC User Account Control is turned on so you have to use the Admin password to authorize the installation of any software. UAC can be annoying--deal with it--.

Good luck.

i know hybrid drives but dont have one.  just 5400 750 gigabyte hard drive.  i have built many a workstation, repaired many pc's and macs. have built several hackintosh boxes including a xeon 12 core.

Well, my own experience with Asus.

Last year I bought a new laptop UX410 UQK. Great proc, great screen, great design BUT very slow.

I upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 12GB and changed the hard disk for a Samsung 850 Pro SSD (1 TB).

Since then, this laptop 'flies" ? and I'm very happy

I had an ASUS a few years back. Never again. First to go was the battery and then the keyboard. I had the Thai service agents replace the battery but after the keyboard went I threw the thing away. 

I would never buy another computer without an SSD. If more memory is needed an external drive is the answer and that has easy mobility.

Now run an HP and never a problem. Also recommend Wise Care 365 to keep the system clean and the speed fast. Free version available with small limitations, as "free" versions usually are.

Edge is in my opinion the worst browser ever.

When you start or restart your machine go in Taskmanager and you will see 5 instances of Edge browser running so just click on them and end task.

This will make your machine run fast again.

Why that stupid Edge browser is running I haven't got an idea.

regarding malware and anti-virus programs slowing windows computers; it is quite true and i have suffered at times.  windows antivirus and antimalware programs are a big business

you'd need to be careful about what you download from the internet and you should do a manual scan of downloded stuff befor pening it. can still use the malware and anti-virus programs but not have them on 24/7 sucking resources from the computer.

give it a test drive like that. nothing to lose

On 7/18/2018 at 9:56 AM, watcharacters said:

I'm sure you know already but  just a reminder nevertheless that voice raising isn't favored  in Thailand.

Good luck with your dilemma.

Lenovo Thai customer service is atrocious too

I got ignored about a warranty issue until I contacted lenovo usa who must have kicked up a stink  because the next morning I had the management contact me and he seemed to be angry about going over his head or something and said next time to use the Thai warranty call centre!! 

But they're the ones who couldn't speak English, answer emails and hung up on me... Hilarious 

20 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Lenovo Thai customer service is atrocious too

I got ignored about a warranty issue until I contacted lenovo usa who must have kicked up a stink  because the next morning I had the management contact me and he seemed to be angry about going over his head or something and said next time to use the Thai warranty call centre!! 

But they're the ones who couldn't speak English, answer emails and hung up on me... Hilarious 

I hate to bring the USA into this but I do think if an issue involves a USA company in Thailand  the chances for a positive resolution probable are better  if the USA side is used.

I hope things work out for you in the end.

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

I hate to bring the USA into this but I do think if an issue involves a USA company in Thailand  the chances for a positive resolution probable are better  if the USA side is used.

I hope things work out for you in the end.

I got a new replacement the next day from thai, FedEx or DHL delivered it 

Just I guess the Thai manager was pissed I went over his head and someone from America probably told him to get his shit together.... ?

12 hours ago, bandito said:

Edge is in my opinion the worst browser ever.

When you start or restart your machine go in Taskmanager and you will see 5 instances of Edge browser running so just click on them and end task.

This will make your machine run fast again.

Why that stupid Edge browser is running I haven't got an idea.

Yea the task manager and registry is a complete mess. 

3 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

I got a new replacement the next day from thai, FedEx or DHL delivered it 

Just I guess the Thai manager was pissed I went over his head and someone from America probably told him to get his shit together.... ?

no the company headquarters knows theres no hope in that. just tell them to take care of issues as they arrive.  just like olympus japan headquarters got thai support to cooperate.

27 minutes ago, atyclb said:

no the company headquarters knows theres no hope in that. just tell them to take care of issues as they arrive.  just like olympus japan headquarters got thai support to cooperate.

Its definitely not an isolated case

I have known people who had unsatisfactory issues with a motorcycle manufacturer and ended up having to get  HQ country involved before the situation was resolved 

I bought an Asus a couple of years ago and also initially had big problems with speed.

I worked my way through the shop installed programs deleting all the crap including kiddies games and various Thai language security programs. 

When I deleted their version of Avast it suddenly started performing at speed.

I just updated two laptops with factory Windows 10 for friends.  The latest Windows 10 update took several hours on both machines.  Maybe the laptop settings is set to automatically update windows from the factory so as soon as you are on the internet the process starts and because it's slow you shut it down and restart it and the process starts again.

I agree with other posts that it probably has preinstalled programs that you can uninstall which are using resources. 

46 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I just updated two laptops with factory Windows 10 for friends.  The latest Windows 10 update took several hours on both machines.  Maybe the laptop settings is set to automatically update windows from the factory so as soon as you are on the internet the process starts and because it's slow you shut it down and restart it and the process starts again.

I agree with other posts that it probably has preinstalled programs that you can uninstall which are using resources. 

was there no way to turn off internet on them before the installations?  hours to do frehs install is crazy.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:46 AM, atyclb said:

was there no way to turn off internet on them before the installations?  hours to do frehs install is crazy.

That really depends on what kind of laptop you have. I do updates and fresh installs quite fast but i got a more then decent computer.

On 7/20/2018 at 2:01 AM, Old Croc said:

I bought an Asus a couple of years ago and also initially had big problems with speed.

I worked my way through the shop installed programs deleting all the crap including kiddies games and various Thai language security programs. 

When I deleted their version of Avast it suddenly started performing at speed.

The fastest thing to do when you get a new computer full of crapware is usually fresh install windows from dvd

Archived