BANGKOK 16 February 2019 21:05
Smithson

New ASUS laptop useless, customer service appalling

Well, my own experience with Asus.

Last year I bought a new laptop UX410 UQK. Great proc, great screen, great design BUT very slow.

I upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 12GB and changed the hard disk for a Samsung 850 Pro SSD (1 TB).

Since then, this laptop 'flies" ? and I'm very happy

• Like 2

I had an ASUS a few years back. Never again. First to go was the battery and then the keyboard. I had the Thai service agents replace the battery but after the keyboard went I threw the thing away. 

I would never buy another computer without an SSD. If more memory is needed an external drive is the answer and that has easy mobility.

Now run an HP and never a problem. Also recommend Wise Care 365 to keep the system clean and the speed fast. Free version available with small limitations, as "free" versions usually are.

Edited by Cadbury
  • Confused 1

Edge is in my opinion the worst browser ever.

When you start or restart your machine go in Taskmanager and you will see 5 instances of Edge browser running so just click on them and end task.

This will make your machine run fast again.

Why that stupid Edge browser is running I haven't got an idea.

• Like 1

regarding malware and anti-virus programs slowing windows computers; it is quite true and i have suffered at times.  windows antivirus and antimalware programs are a big business

you'd need to be careful about what you download from the internet and you should do a manual scan of downloded stuff befor pening it. can still use the malware and anti-virus programs but not have them on 24/7 sucking resources from the computer.

give it a test drive like that. nothing to lose

Edited by atyclb

20 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Lenovo Thai customer service is atrocious too

I got ignored about a warranty issue until I contacted lenovo usa who must have kicked up a stink  because the next morning I had the management contact me and he seemed to be angry about going over his head or something and said next time to use the Thai warranty call centre!! 

But they're the ones who couldn't speak English, answer emails and hung up on me... Hilarious 

I hate to bring the USA into this but I do think if an issue involves a USA company in Thailand  the chances for a positive resolution probable are better  if the USA side is used.

I hope things work out for you in the end.

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

I hate to bring the USA into this but I do think if an issue involves a USA company in Thailand  the chances for a positive resolution probable are better  if the USA side is used.

I hope things work out for you in the end.

I got a new replacement the next day from thai, FedEx or DHL delivered it 

Just I guess the Thai manager was pissed I went over his head and someone from America probably told him to get his shit together.... ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bandito said:

Edge is in my opinion the worst browser ever.

When you start or restart your machine go in Taskmanager and you will see 5 instances of Edge browser running so just click on them and end task.

This will make your machine run fast again.

Why that stupid Edge browser is running I haven't got an idea.

Yea the task manager and registry is a complete mess. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

I got a new replacement the next day from thai, FedEx or DHL delivered it 

Just I guess the Thai manager was pissed I went over his head and someone from America probably told him to get his shit together.... ?

no the company headquarters knows theres no hope in that. just tell them to take care of issues as they arrive.  just like olympus japan headquarters got thai support to cooperate.

27 minutes ago, atyclb said:

no the company headquarters knows theres no hope in that. just tell them to take care of issues as they arrive.  just like olympus japan headquarters got thai support to cooperate.

Its definitely not an isolated case

I have known people who had unsatisfactory issues with a motorcycle manufacturer and ended up having to get  HQ country involved before the situation was resolved 

I bought an Asus a couple of years ago and also initially had big problems with speed.

I worked my way through the shop installed programs deleting all the crap including kiddies games and various Thai language security programs. 

When I deleted their version of Avast it suddenly started performing at speed.

• Like 1

I just updated two laptops with factory Windows 10 for friends.  The latest Windows 10 update took several hours on both machines.  Maybe the laptop settings is set to automatically update windows from the factory so as soon as you are on the internet the process starts and because it's slow you shut it down and restart it and the process starts again.

I agree with other posts that it probably has preinstalled programs that you can uninstall which are using resources. 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I just updated two laptops with factory Windows 10 for friends.  The latest Windows 10 update took several hours on both machines.  Maybe the laptop settings is set to automatically update windows from the factory so as soon as you are on the internet the process starts and because it's slow you shut it down and restart it and the process starts again.

I agree with other posts that it probably has preinstalled programs that you can uninstall which are using resources. 

was there no way to turn off internet on them before the installations?  hours to do frehs install is crazy.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:46 AM, atyclb said:

was there no way to turn off internet on them before the installations?  hours to do frehs install is crazy.

That really depends on what kind of laptop you have. I do updates and fresh installs quite fast but i got a more then decent computer.

On 7/20/2018 at 2:01 AM, Old Croc said:

I bought an Asus a couple of years ago and also initially had big problems with speed.

I worked my way through the shop installed programs deleting all the crap including kiddies games and various Thai language security programs. 

When I deleted their version of Avast it suddenly started performing at speed.

The fastest thing to do when you get a new computer full of crapware is usually fresh install windows from dvd

• Like 2