New ASUS laptop useless, customer service appalling

Smithson

Chrome OS is way better than win....1000 times better than illegal win.

There should be a way to update and troubleshoot with ASUS software, especially at first.  Did this with a hp and worked great..it pulled out the important updates first.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, moontang said:

Chrome OS is way better than win....1000 times better than illegal win.

There should be a way to update and troubleshoot with ASUS software, especially at first.  Did this with a hp and worked great..it pulled out the important updates first.

I've spent so long using windows im not prepared to invest any time in learning another thing sorry

14 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

I've spent so long using windows im not prepared to invest any time in learning another thing sorry

considering Microsoft missed the boat on the entire internet, their browser business has been an embarrassment, and they have zero impact on the smartphone industry...be my guest.  Most of your work is likely in a browser, and you might already be using Chrome browser, at least as a standby for Firefox nonsense.

22 minutes ago, moontang said:

considering Microsoft missed the boat on the entire internet, their browser business has been an embarrassment, and they have zero impact on the smartphone industry...be my guest.  Most of your work is likely in a browser, and you might already be using Chrome browser, at least as a standby for Firefox nonsense.

Microsoft is terrible but somehow they are richer than Google. Makes no sense

5 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

The fastest thing to do when you get a new computer full of crapware is usually fresh install windows from dvd

I'd assume a new computer loaded "full of crapware" came with Windows 10. Before you get rid of it, download Windows 10 onto a USB flash drive and clean install. That could mean losing some laptop features though. Personally, I'd just go through all the crapware and get rid of what I don't want.

On 7/18/2018 at 9:56 AM, watcharacters said:

I'm sure you know already but  just a reminder nevertheless that voice raising isn't favored  in Thailand.

Good luck with your dilemma.

If you saw how higher people talk to the normal folk when they are angry you will change your comment because it's not true.  Also to look some of the stupid tv shows will change your mind.

12 hours ago, tropo said:

I'd assume a new computer loaded "full of crapware" came with Windows 10. Before you get rid of it, download Windows 10 onto a USB flash drive and clean install. That could mean losing some laptop features though. Personally, I'd just go through all the crapware and get rid of what I don't want.

Good remark making an usb drive with the windows setup. Many computers don't have a cd-rom / dvd anymore. In my latest computer build I did not include a DVD. I actually did not even include a harddisk just a 2TB M2 ssd, as I got a nas with something like 20TB of data (partially filled already) I will use that for the big files. As i build it myself and i like silent computers i included a liquidcooling (closed system straight out of the box). My computer is totally silent now. 

You are mentioning laptop features, your right you might lose some. That is why I don't really like laptops as they require a special install if they come with extra software. Though when i made this new computer windows installed the Bluetooth driver for the mainboard and I was having crappy sounds on my Bluetooth headset. After i installed the Bluetooth driver that came with the mainboard it was good again. So besides windows you often need a few drivers specific to your laptop / mainboard. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Good remark making an usb drive with the windows setup. Many computers don't have a cd-rom / dvd anymore. In my latest computer build I did not include a DVD. I actually did not even include a harddisk just a 2TB M2 ssd, as I got a nas with something like 20TB of data (partially filled already) I will use that for the big files. As i build it myself and i like silent computers i included a liquidcooling (closed system straight out of the box). My computer is totally silent now. 

You are mentioning laptop features, your right you might lose some. That is why I don't really like laptops as they require a special install if they come with extra software. Though when i made this new computer windows installed the Bluetooth driver for the mainboard and I was having crappy sounds on my Bluetooth headset. After i installed the Bluetooth driver that came with the mainboard it was good again. So besides windows you often need a few drivers specific to your laptop / mainboard. 

LOL> my house is like a computer history museum compared to yours. I'm running laptops of 2009, 2010, 2011 (Mac) and 2014 vintage, and a 2010 PC. I'm constantly trying to make old computers play nice with Windows 10. It can be a challenge. Right now, as I'm reading TV, I'm trying to troubleshoot a BSOD incident on one of them. I didn't mention hardware. I'm using one webcam of 2006 vintage, and a monitor from 2009. People might be wondering why I'm using such old equipment. The answer is they are all working rather well. If they don't, I toss them in the garbage. I just don't like wasting good equipment that still works. Now and then I pull the laptops apart for a clean and new thermal paste. On one of the laptops I'm on the 2nd keyboard and 3rd Hard Drive. They are all different brands.

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> my house is like a computer history museum compared to yours. I'm running laptops of 2009, 2010, 2011 (Mac) and 2014 vintage, and a 2010 PC. I'm constantly trying to make old computers play nice with Windows 10. It can be a challenge. Right now, as I'm reading TV, I'm trying to troubleshoot a BSOD incident on one of them. I didn't mention hardware. I'm using one webcam of 2006 vintage, and a monitor from 2009. People might be wondering why I'm using such old equipment. The answer is they are all working rather well. If they don't, I toss them in the garbage. I just don't like wasting good equipment that still works. Now and then I pull the laptops apart for a clean and new thermal paste. On one of the laptops I'm on the 2nd keyboard and 3rd Hard Drive. They are all different brands.

I have build quite a few PC's but once i feel they are getting to slow for what I want I replace them. Good to know you collect old stuff as I might have some old PC parts for you. Normally I trash them, because nobody wants them. I still got a perfectly good 1TB harddisk (sata not sure you have sata) for a desktop you can have it if you have something with sata.

If one only has one laptop then once the warranty service has gone south I would be now taking the machine to the local service complex (eg Tukcom) and have put in an SSD as suggested by others on this thread. One step at a time. PS I also doubt it is a Windows 10 issue. PPS If the machine allows also put in some extra RAM. If all that supercharging doesn't work, give up but I doubt it will come to that.

This appears to be the computer you bought: ASUS FX553VD - Laptops - ASUS Global

This laptop allows for dual hard drives. The laptop appears to have one 5400RPM 1TB SSH drive & one 8GB SDRAM chip.

It is unlikely your problems of slowness are due to a faulty hard drive. ASUS may or may not have changed the drive, but it is still highly unlikely this is the problem. The hard drive running at 100% is more likely a software issue. Besides that, Windows 10 is not an operating system built for efficiency, and a 5,400RPM drive does not help.

If you want a clue as to what keeping the hard drive so busy, download, install, and run Process Explorer from microsoft.

Suggestion: Find a laptop repair shop you are comfortable dealing with. From that shop, buy a minimum 250GB SSD sized Drive & an additional 8GB SDRAM.

Ask the shop to:

• Upgrade your memory from 8GB to 16GB by installing the new 8GB SDRAM.
  • Install the new SSD drive and move the Windows operating system to that new drive.
  • Set up the pre-installed 1TB drive for data storage ( Example drive D: and E: ).
  • Remove any pre-installed 3rd party Antivirus program.
  • Update Windows 10 repeatedly till up to date (you'll have to leave the laptop there overnight for them to do this)
  • Install a free Antivirus of your choice (or stick with Windows Defender only, though this is not recommended)

Since you are still using the original Hard Drive provided by ASUS, this does not void your warranty for the hard drive. Neither does adding memory or a new SSD drive void the warranty for the laptop.

It's a PITA when a new laptop misbehaves. Best of luck.

Archived