Testosterone replacement in Bangkok

britishjohn

About a year ago while still living in the UK, I had blood tests which revealed lowish testosterone levels and the doctor put me on TRT (testosterone replacement treatment). I started on the med and feel great.

Then 4 months ago I moved to Bangkok and luckily the pharmacies supplied the meds I needed for a reasonable cost without even needing to see a prescription so all was fine.

Now they are all saying it's out of stock and many of them saying it's become controlled.  So I have a problem.  I guess the obvious thing is go and see a doctor and explain the situation. And hopefully he/she won't ask me to have blood tests done because it will reveal nothing out of the ordinary since I currently have a medical supply. I did call one hospital and gave up in frustration.

Just wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction for this sort of thing…

• Like 2

Thanks for that. Actually I contacted Vejthani hospital and was told that following a doctors consultation and seeing my UK doctor's letter they can order it for me from their pharmacy. That's the good news, the bad news is they charge 15,000 bht for a box, whereas the pharmacies were charging 3,000 for the exact same thing !

There is always a huge price mark up at hospital pharmacies.

If the place I mentioned also proves expebsive try othet pharmacies as I have not heard anything to suggest it is no longer available over the counter. Specify which preparation you use, maybe other TV members can suggest a pharmacy.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I have been on TRT for about seven years now, Here in Pattaya, I can buy an 18 month supply of testoviron over the counter at any pharmacy for 3300 baht. Each month I trot down to a local clinic and get my injection for 100 baht. I doubt that prices are any higher in Bangkok.  I highly recommend TRT, it has kept me functional when there was a definite drop in performance. I am 68.

• Like 1

Prices for Testoviron are about 3,000 bht for a box of 20 x 1ml 250mg vials. But I've called about 20 pharmacies in bkk and they either never stocked it or saying out of stock. Someone suggested to me maybe they don't like to discuss it on the phone. When was the last time you bought it in Pattaya ?

I'll certainly do my best to avoid the exorbitant hospital charge. Back in the UK I was able to buy 20 x 1ml of Sustanon (similar thing) for only about 3000bht also, on a private prescription. So 15,000 is just piss taking...

1. What are the symptoms of low testosterone.
  2. Is the treatment a continues process or until the level normalises
  3. How is it tested?
  4. Is TRT risky and what are the side effects?
  5. Any other information...

Thank you.

I'm no expert but of course I've done my research and know the pitfalls. 

The treatment continues forever, you could stop but your natural testosterone level will then be suppressed and may take a while to come back if ever. And you might feel pretty crap with even lower T levels than before.

Blood tests will show you, but there's something called free testosterone which many places don't test for so that really needs to be taken into account. 

All medications have risks, But of course it will depend on the dosage. TRT dose is typically about 125mg per week. However bodybuilders are doing way more than this, over 1,000mg in some cases. The latter clearly carrying a lot more risk. Testosterone is basically steroids, same thing

Risks can include hairloss, raised estrogen levels, possible prostate problems, infertility etc. there were thought to be potential heart issues but that seems to have been discredited now. In fact some say it's protective. There's loads of info out there, best to google.

I'm not on body builder doses but I've still noticed an improvement in physique. I'm not young anymore, well into my 50's but people rarely guess my age correctly , I'm in the gym 5 days a week and I'm pretty muscular now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prices for Testoviron are about 3,000 bht for a box of 20 x 1ml 250mg vials. But I've called about 20 pharmacies in bkk and they either never stocked it or saying out of stock. Someone suggested to me maybe they don't like to discuss it on the phone. When was the last time you bought it in Pattaya ?

I'll certainly do my best to avoid the exorbitant hospital charge. Back in the UK I was able to buy 20 x 1ml of Sustanon (similar thing) for only about 3000bht also, on a private prescription. So 15,000 is just piss taking...
What sort of pharmacies did you call? I ask because not so easy to call most Thai pharmacies.

Any really large Thai pharmacy (NOT a Boots or Watson's -- a thai shop selling primzrily pharmaceuticals as opposed go cosmetics and tpiletries) should have this.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, britishjohn said:

I buy mine at Ocean Pharmacy on Theppraya Road in Jomtien. It's about two blocks from the Hanuman statue and is run by two registered pharmacists. The lady only had one question for me: "how long does this supply last?" I get monthly injections, so a pack of 18 vials lasts me 18 months. No forms to sign, nothing. I bought my last supply about six months ago.

Edited by KhunFred
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, britishjohn said:

I'm no expert but of course I've done my research and know the pitfalls. 

The treatment continues forever, you could stop but your natural testosterone level will then be suppressed and may take a while to come back if ever. And you might feel pretty crap with even lower T levels than before.

Blood tests will show you, but there's something called free testosterone which many places don't test for so that really needs to be taken into account. 

All medications have risks, But of course it will depend on the dosage. TRT dose is typically about 125mg per week. However bodybuilders are doing way more than this, over 1,000mg in some cases. The latter clearly carrying a lot more risk. Testosterone is basically steroids, same thing

Risks can include hairloss, raised estrogen levels, possible prostate problems, infertility etc. there were thought to be potential heart issues but that seems to have been discredited now. In fact some say it's protective. There's loads of info out there, best to google.

I'm not on body builder doses but I've still noticed an improvement in physique. I'm not young anymore, well into my 50's but people rarely guess my age correctly , I'm in the gym 5 days a week and I'm pretty muscular now. 

I hate these pumped-up muscle freaks who can hardly lift a 40 kg girl. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

And let me guess. He's not cheap, right? Why not get it at a government hospital for a fair price? 

His fees were quite reasonable but he kept pushing a TRT treatment that was initially more costly but supposedly lasted for four months. I was not interested after I found out that I could buy Testoviron over the counter and get the injects for 100 baht a pop. Olivier's fees were not as cheap as Thai doctors but far more affordable than any in America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KhunFred said:

His fees were quite reasonable but he kept pushing a TRT treatment that was initially more costly but supposedly lasted for four months. I was not interested after I found out that I could buy Testoviron over the counter and get the injects for 100 baht a pop. Olivier's fees were not as cheap as Thai doctors but far more affordable than any in America.

What's got America to do with it? 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

Problem solved, with the help of a member here I found a place in Sala Daeng with several boxes in stock. I now have enough to last me 2 years. The expiry date is 2022. 

There must be a problem with supply at the moment however because I tried another very popular pharmacy in that area and they told me they didn't expect to get any new stock until next year.

If you buy it over the counter here and self inject, TRT costs you approx $10 per month... peanuts. A lot of people don't like the idea of self injecting but I now use an insulin syringe, the needle is only about 1cm long. I inject once a week about 3 inches below the hip area which is the easiest for me and completely painless.

Edited by britishjohn
added extra info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I just want to know if the blood test for checking your testosterone levels is a fasting blood test or can I have a few mugs of tea prior to turning up at a clinic for a blood test. TIA

no, if my memory is any worth at all,

there is no reason to do or not do anything prior to testing,

but know that testosterone peak at morning,

and that is why a morning power wank is so popular.

i so happen to believe that the meds

for preventing testosterone fermentation

can add testosterone a bit,

without any side effects at all,

so that would be my first choice

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, poanoi said:

no, if my memory is any worth at all,

there is no reason to do or not do anything prior to testing,

but know that testosterone peak at morning,

and that is why a morning power wank is so popular.

i so happen to believe that the meds

for preventing testosterone fermentation

can add testosterone a bit,

without any side effects at all,

so that would be my first choice

Line 4 hasn't happened in my life for a fair few number of years I can assure you, ?

Can you explain a bit what you mean by the rest of it please, I have heard guys talking about things like Testo ultra and other so called supplements but have never bothered to explore them as I don't trust that stuff sometimes.

I really feel that I need my levels checking as things have been degrading over the last 12 - 18 months and I want to improve things for me and the Mrs.

:thumbsup:

It's not something to spend much time thinking about...A fast pulling out of some blood and you will have your answers the next day....You might want to also check your cholesterol and other basic blood tests values as long as they are pulling blood anyway. Unless you're concerned about keeping the cost down.

i think trt is overrated, why would an old man want to be horny anyway? only downside the way i see it since its not a mutual response.

for preventing test fermentation i suggest 1/2 anastrol

once every 2nd day, it may raise test lv a bit,

and lower a bad form of test as well as lower estrogen,

all of which is a good thing.

if you do go down the trt road, it will end your own production indefinitely, and it also means injections in that one place

a man just shouldnt get any injection,

i dont trust the gel a bit, and pills is not a long term solution either

3 hours ago, how241 said:

It's not something to spend much time thinking about...A fast pulling out of some blood and you will have your answers the next day....You might want to also check your cholesterol and other basic blood tests values as long as they are pulling blood anyway. Unless you're concerned about keeping the cost down.

Cost has never been an issue, and yes I've had plenty of blood taken for different things, just not Testosterone. Thanks for your input ?

2 hours ago, faraday said:

Ignore post #26.

The poster clearly does not know the facts about trt.

There's quite alot of good info on here.

Do not take Anastrozole, unless you have had a blood test & medical advice.

TRT, is not about 'feeling horny'.

I'm having a very hard time understanding anything from that source, I appreciate that English may not be his or her first language but I was still confused, I will go and get the tests done on Monday and chat with the Dr, I need to reciprocate my Mrs attention not brush her off cos I don't feel good. Nuff said :biggrin:

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'm having a very hard time understanding anything from that source, I appreciate that English may not be his or her first language but I was still confused, I will go and get the tests done on Monday and chat with the Dr, I need to reciprocate my Mrs attention not brush her off cos I don't feel good. Nuff said :biggrin:

What source?

If you mean my post, then I'll simplfy it:

Have a full hormone panel & regular blood test before any treatment.