60 tourists stuck at Koh Racha

webfact

60 tourists stuck at Koh Racha

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

364799-1.jpg

The Royal Thai Navy were called today (July 18) to bring about 60 tourists back to the Phuket’s Deep Sea Port following another day of strong winds and high seas.

At about noon (July 18) Rawai’s Mayor Aroon Solos was notified that about 60 tourists were stuck at Koh Racha Yai as they are unable to leave the island due to the strong wind and wave, to make it back to Phuket airport for their onward journeys.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/60-tourists-stuck-at-koh-racha

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-18

Again, why did they venture out in such conditions and with weather forecasts for even worse weather?

And where's the authorities who (after the 2 boat tragedies) should have already been on top of the processes of monitoring departures, stopping departures when weather is bad, becoming bad,  and fining / punishing owners captains who went out without approval?

It just never changes...

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Again, why did they venture out in such conditions and with weather forecasts for even worse weather?

And where's the authorities who (after the 2 boat tragedies) should have already been on top of the processes of monitoring departures, stopping departures when weather is bad, becoming bad,  and fining / punishing owners captains who went out without approval?

It just never changes...

I think you're wrong, and they were staying at one of the hotels on Racha Yai but with their return flight leaving today needed to get back to the main land. However I would like to get this confirmed.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

I think you're wrong, and they were staying at one of the hotels on Racha Yai but with their return flight leaving today needed to get back to the main land. However I would like to get this confirmed.

If you are correct, perhaps the Thai Navy can "rescue" these tourists, with full media coverage, and divert further attention away from the 56 dead Chinese tourists. 

The cave rescue story can't play out forever.  ?

38 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Apparently they went there on a speedboat, but conditions prevented them even getting back on board. (See the new thread)

I hope the speedboat crew are to be investigated.

And not just them.

All boats were banned from Chalong, Navy told all 'no'. Where did they leave from, who gave them permission?

Edit: just reread the story, and it is still not clear. Also looking at the photo, people with suitcases, it seems that at least part of the tourists were staying on the island.

20 hours ago, stevenl said:
21 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Apparently they went there on a speedboat, but conditions prevented them even getting back on board. (See the new thread)

I hope the speedboat crew are to be investigated.

And not just them.

All boats were banned from Chalong, Navy told all 'no'. Where did they leave from, who gave them permission?

Edit: just reread the story, and it is still not clear. Also looking at the photo, people with suitcases, it seems that at least part of the tourists were staying on the island.

This is another local media story that is unclear.

As StevenL says the luggage indicates some, of not all, of the tourists were actually staying on the Island.

The way it was written suggested they went across by speedboat on a day trip, despite weather warnings. It now appears they were delivered there some days previously and the weather prevented their scheduled return in the same way, resulting in the call for Naval assistance.

My apologies for muddying the waters, so to speak.

I can now confirm that yesterdays returned guests were all staying at one of the Racha Yai resorts. So far they have been ferrying their customers up and down, but yesterday they were not allowed, due to quite a few bigwigs being pre4sent at Chalong Pier.  So none of these people were on a daytrip.

Today the Racha speedboats are running again, taking people up and down.

Archived