Australian man and former Nana nightclub owner found guilty of human trafficking

Jonathan Fairfield

17 hours ago, Small Joke said:
17 hours ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Great, there goes his Passport.

That's the good bit. If the rapey reed gets out alive after that stretch, it's back to Sudan. Almost as fun as Thai jail. ?

Unless he committed the crimes before gaining citizenship he remains an Australian. It can't be revoked for character reasons subsequent to grant.

The NZ , Brit, etc., crims being booted out of Australia these days never became citizens.

Presumably he changed his name by deed poll somewhere along the line, it certainly doesn't sound Sudanese!

They deserve what they get, but what about the numerous bars and clubs dotted around Thailand aiding the solicitation of prostitution, which is against Thai law... 

Paying a bar fine is soliciting for the company or services of an individual, which in most cases leads to prostitution. Human trafficking!

About 10 years ago i went to report a case of human trafficking to the authorities. Not only they were not interested, they were annoyed at my actions of going to them. I get the impression brown envelopes are somehow associated with this story of the arrests.

They deserve what they get, but what about the numerous bars and clubs dotted around Thailand aiding the solicitation of prostitution, which is against Thai law... 

Paying a bar fine is soliciting for the company or services of an individual, which in most cases leads to prostitution. Human trafficking!
Most gogos and soapies are regulated under the Entertainment Places Act which allows dancers and other staff to be barfined. The Act even stipulates that they must wear numbers. The staff have to be 18+ and Thai.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, Small Joke said:

Neither of them are Australian. 

The Sudanese slimeball obviously wrangled a passport at some point.

I'm all for a bit of consensual fun.

Legalizing  the game would go a long way to protecting women who really want to play for pay. 

Pimps are the worst. And 'jailer pimps' are as bad as pedos IMO. 

They won't be smiling for a long time. Maybe they'll get to sell their own orifices for an extra bowl of rice and fish heads too. Bye-bye losers. 

If they have citizenship, they are Australian. Not everyone arrived on the First Fleet.

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

The good news for the Aussie is that he will only serve a portion of the time.  The Aussie government will allow him back to OZ to serve the rest and grant him parole.

They'll probably slap some counseling on top of that...

6 hours ago, mickba said:

"The five defendants were released on bail by posting a Bt300,000 cash guarantee. They came to hear the verdict on Wednesday morning."

So none of them skipped Bail ?

Perhaps, at least for their foreigners, their passports had been seized.

300k baht of bail is piddly to walk away from to freedom, otherwise.

Though facing 16-19 years, I'm not sure the lack of a passport would have deterred me either.

5 hours ago, timewilltell said:

Am I reading the second report wrong?  They were released after posting 300,000 baht bail - for a 19 year jail sentence?  

I couldn't tell from reading the OP articles whether they had been out on the 300K bail PRIOR to their sentences, OR, that they may also have been released/continued on 300K bail AFTER their sentencing, or both.

Typical shoddy reporting here, especially when it comes to bail/release status, which the news media here rarely make clear.  But even convicted murderers can get bail here while appealing their convictions, well, Thai murderers at least.

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The good news for the Aussie is that he will only serve a portion of the time.  The Aussie government will allow him back to OZ to serve the rest and grant him parole.

Yes, but usually it's some considerable portion of the original Thai sentence before they're willing to return the convict back to their "home" country to finish out the remainder. Dunno the particulars re Thai-Australia.

Archived