VIDEO: British divers reveal more details of harrowing Tham Luang rescue mission

Jonathan Fairfield

VIDEO: British divers reveal more details of harrowing Tham Luang rescue mission

tm.png

Three of the British divers involved in the extraordinary rescue of 12 boys and their football coach who were trapped inside the flooded Tham Luang cave have revealed more details about the dangerous operation.

Rick Stanton, Jason Mallinson and Chris Jewell appeared on the This Morning show in the UK and discussed in detail what happened during the rescue mission.

“We knew it was going to be an extremely difficult and risky operation, with not a high probability of total success”, Mr Jewell told presenters Ruth Langsford and Eamonn Holmes.

They also revealed that the boys were sedated to the point they were almost unconscious which allowed them to be evacuated from the cave without panic.

Richard Stanton who was one of the first divers to find the boys revealed how he first smelt the boys, adding “then they obviously heard us talking, and we saw our lights, and then they started coming down this slope one by one. They were kind of on this ramp around the corner,” he said.

“It was incredible. I wasn’t convinced that they were all going to be OK. But they were all OK,” he added.

Diver Jason Mallinson also played down praise of the divers being heroes.

“We just did what we're... not trained to do, but what we've experienced over the last 25 years - we're happy that we can use that skill set to go and help people, he said.

Meanwhile, in his only solo interview, British diver John Volanthen, who was the other diver along with Richard Stanton to find the group told the BBC just how "remarkable" the rescue was.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-18

36 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I thought the Brit divers had gone home, and only Thai seals were involved in actually bringing the boys out, still well done all around, all heroes!

No mate ..8 British experts were part of a 13 man international dive team who went in each day and rescued them. I think 2 Aussies ,1 Belgium , 1 Dutch and 1 Japan with back up from 5 Thai seals . The British also had a couple of guys coordinating at the surface . Only one Brit went back due to a long standing health appointment 

2 minutes ago, Nigeone said:

No mate ..8 British experts were part of a 13 man international dive team who went in each day and rescued them. I think 2 Aussies ,1 Belgium , 1 Dutch and 1 Japan with back up from 5 Thai seals . The British also had a couple of guys coordinating at the surface . Only one Brit went back due to a long standing health appointment 

Thanks for putting me right, all i read was it seemed only Thai seals were involved, well done all involved, must say i was one of the doom watch brigade, feeling sure there would be casualties, so glad i was wrong! 

On 7/19/2018 at 6:46 PM, maxcorrigan said:

I thought the Brit divers had gone home, and only Thai seals were involved in actually bringing the boys out, still well done all around, all heroes!

That will be the Thai version that you heard ??

8 minutes ago, greenchair said:

That will be the Thai version that you heard ??

It certainly seems that way all i hear about is heroic Thai seals (due respect to the man that perished) with foreign assistance, as though the seals were running the show!

23 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

It certainly seems that way all i hear about is heroic Thai seals (due respect to the man that perished) with foreign assistance, as though the seals were running the show!

And after the psychiatrist is finished and the monkhood is finished, I'm sure the boys will see it that way also. 

Changing history is not as hard as one might think. 

Archived