Good areas to live in and around Bangkok

MartinJ

Some background: I’m retiring and moving to Bangkok next year

Interested to hear opinions on places people enjoy living in Bangkok and surrounding area

After watching some youtube videos from an aussie guy I stayed almost 3 months in Samut Prakan close to bang pu area. That area is unlivable for me, a classic shi**hole. I’ve since moved to Chatuchak  on an airbnb for a month. Its busy here but i like it okay

I’ll take as many different opinions as I can and check out what I can

I’ll be renting for a couple of years  at least. I'm used to a house, a townhouse or Condo is fine too.

Love to hear what people like about their areas or what areas would be good to live

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude I'm in the same position. I'm gonna head over for 6 months soon and am looking at Victory right now and chatuchak. I don't mind busy, but need access totranspirt....

What's your budget? 

39 minutes ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

errrm budget? A house in Bangkok you can rule out unless living 40 miles out in the burbs if being surrounded by only thais is your thing

did I mention budget?

Up to 40-50k baht a month is fine
I don't want to get hung up on money, its the areas and experiences I want to hear about 

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude I'm in the same position. I'm gonna head over for 6 months soon and am looking at Victory right now and chatuchak. I don't mind busy, but need access totranspirt....

What's your budget? 

The airbnb is about 25k baht for one month
Longer term i am okay with up to 50k baht for a nice house or up to 30-40k for a nice large condo

I made the mistake of a cheaper smaller room in samut prakan. I didn't enjoy the room or the area and i wouldn't try and save money like that again

ASOKE is a great area for westerners. Loads of 5 star hotels, restaurants, bars , and shopping malls.

Its very busy and vibrant with a large expat presence and also very touristy (a turn off for some). Its sort of a melting pot one BTS station away from Nana. Soi cowboy is there and again that could be good or bad but its tucked away so its not in your face

I live here and love it but its not cheap however 40k will see you in a nice newish condo say around 70 sqm or so.

1 hour ago, MartinJ said:

I don't want to get hung up on money, its the areas and experiences I want to hear about 

Longer term i am okay with up to 50k baht for a nice house or up to 30-40k for a nice large condo

I made the mistake of a cheaper smaller room in samut prakan. I didn't enjoy the room or the area and i wouldn't try and save money like that again

My gig is going to be the "cheapersmaller" room, since I will be doing a ton of on the road stuff....

Lots of interesting areas around the city ranging from upscale and full of hiso types, artsy and full of hipsters, raunchy and full of night time venues, all appeal to different people for different reasons. Most of these will be close to the bts stations, so they're all convenient and have a decent buzz, it depends on which type of thing you prefer. Sukhumvit and Silom side are quite different in feel for instance, and Thonglor is very different to Asoke or Ari. It doesn't take long to explore the central zones, so best to spend a couple of weeks doing this while in some temporary accommodation. 40-50k is a decent budget and rental contracts will be no problem since you're planning on staying awhile (many places are less willing to draw up a rental agreement if under 12 months, or sometimes 6) so first is to narrow down the choice of area by personal preference. Incidentally, Chatuchak (and Samut Prakan even more so) would be thought of as being way out of town for most people, and for that reason tend to be much cheaper for renting, but on your budget most districts will be affordable. Take your time and enjoy getting to know the different parts of the city. 

Hi, Asoke is great, and I have a small condo to rent! Soi 15, end of soi by the boat stop, infront of the school.

65sqm small balcony, 2nd floor. Pool on the roof, fitness ,sauna. 25,000 Baht. If my email is visibile in profiles contact me , not sure I.m allowed to put it in the post 

4 hours ago, bigginhill said:

Hi, Asoke is great, and I have a small condo to rent! Soi 15, end of soi by the boat stop, infront of the school.

65sqm small balcony, 2nd floor. Pool on the roof, fitness ,sauna. 25,000 Baht. If my email is visibile in profiles contact me , not sure I.m allowed to put it in the post 

It wont be until mid next year that I make my move, ill let you know closer to the time if I'm interested in that area.
You said boat stop? Is there a ferry service on the river?

13 hours ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

ASOKE is a great area for westerners. Loads of 5 star hotels, restaurants, bars , and shopping malls.

Its very busy and vibrant with a large expat presence and also very touristy (a turn off for some). Its sort of a melting pot one BTS station away from Nana. Soi cowboy is there and again that could be good or bad but its tucked away so its not in your face

I live here and love it but its not cheap however 40k will see you in a nice newish condo say around 70 sqm or so.

I've stayed at a couple of hotels in that area. I thought it was mainly a tourist area. Looking on google maps i can see a park close by
I might need to go for a walk around that area

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Lots of interesting areas around the city ranging from upscale and full of hiso types, artsy and full of hipsters, raunchy and full of night time venues, all appeal to different people for different reasons. Most of these will be close to the bts stations, so they're all convenient and have a decent buzz, it depends on which type of thing you prefer. Sukhumvit and Silom side are quite different in feel for instance, and Thonglor is very different to Asoke or Ari. It doesn't take long to explore the central zones, so best to spend a couple of weeks doing this while in some temporary accommodation. 40-50k is a decent budget and rental contracts will be no problem since you're planning on staying awhile (many places are less willing to draw up a rental agreement if under 12 months, or sometimes 6) so first is to narrow down the choice of area by personal preference. Incidentally, Chatuchak (and Samut Prakan even more so) would be thought of as being way out of town for most people, and for that reason tend to be much cheaper for renting, but on your budget most districts will be affordable. Take your time and enjoy getting to know the different parts of the city. 

Thanks for that advice.

I had a walk around Ari one lunchtime and the place was packed with restaurants and food stalls and had a real buzz going on and I would certainly consider that area.  It was nearly all Thai people from what I could see, not so many tourists and I'd enjoy that longer term
I must check out Silom and the other side of the river along the train line there

I have a townhouse for rent in sukhumvit 36 (very nice house 3bedrooms +office+ large living room+big kitchen, patio + terrace + 2 balconies etc..,) located 800 m from Thonglo BTS , for rent 25k/month. My contract ends in 3 months but I can let it go in 1 month. You will not find a better value for this location (i visited a lots of houses and lots of researcheds before decided to take this one). There is a similar house for rent opposite mine now at 30k a month also. If you interested add me on LINE: jokohsamui77   I'll send you pics etc..  Thonglor is great, near Asok, Ekamai etc..  it's a  dynamic place.

10 minutes ago, MartinJ said:

It wont be until mid next year that I make my move, ill let you know closer to the time if I'm interested in that area.
You said boat stop? Is there a ferry service on the river?

I've stayed at a couple of hotels in that area. I thought it was mainly a tourist area. Looking on google maps i can see a park close by
I might need to go for a walk around that area

If its the park opposite soi 13 then its being ripped up..you guessed it , another condo with a mall underneath apparently

14 hours ago, MartinJ said:

https://www.thailand-property.com/condo/1074/amanta-ratchada

15 hours ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

errrm budget? A house in Bangkok you can rule out unless living 40 miles out in the burbs if being surrounded by only thais is your thing

did I mention budget?

That's not true.  You can get nice houses in the sub sois off Sukhumvit 71 (Phra Khanong BTS area) which puts you close to On Nut, Phra Khanong and even Ekkamai for 50,000 THB a month and up. 

22 minutes ago, seancbk said:

That's not true.  You can get nice houses in the sub sois off Sukhumvit 71 (Phra Khanong BTS area) which puts you close to On Nut, Phra Khanong and even Ekkamai for 50,000 THB a month and up. 

Easy to say but harder to do. Put you "close" to a BTS is different to a few minutes walk. Perhaps if you supply him with a link then he can check them out 'next year"

Just now, fathersicksendmoney said:
27 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Easy to say but harder to do. Put you "close" to a BTS is different to a few minutes walk. Perhaps if you supply him with a link then he can check them out 'next year"

Not hard to do either.   You just need a good agent.   

Do you live in Bangkok?  There is a Minibus service that runs between Phra Khanong BTS and goes up Sukhumvit 71, so you don't need to walk it.  There are also regular taxis so again no need to walk.  

Personally though I see no point in living in a house in Bangkok unless you have a family or want to run a business from home.   For a single retired guy a cheap condo close to a BTS is more than enough.   8,000 - 14,000 between Phra Khanong BTS and Bearing BTS there are loads of options within walking distance of the various BTS stops.

17 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Not hard to do either.   You just need a good agent.   

Do you live in Bangkok?  There is a Minibus service that runs between Phra Khanong BTS and goes up Sukhumvit 71, so you don't need to walk it.  There are also regular taxis so again no need to walk.  

Personally though I see no point in living in a house in Bangkok unless you have a family or want to run a business from home.   For a single retired guy a cheap condo close to a BTS is more than enough.   8,000 - 14,000 between Phra Khanong BTS and Bearing BTS there are loads of options within walking distance of the various BTS stops.

Agreed I think he just threw the house option out there but its dead money for a single guy. I live halfway between Asoke bts and Nana bts so Im a short stroll from either which is why I suggested the area as he mentioned money is not an issue up to 50k

1 minute ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

Agreed I think he just threw the house option out there but its dead money for a single guy. I live halfway between Asoke bts and Nana bts so Im a short stroll from either which is why I suggested the area as he mentioned money is not an issue up to 50k

I'd also not recommend paying anywhere close to 50K for a condo, if you are retired and single.  What do you need 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 150+ sq/m for?   

Find a place for maximum 14K and spend the money you save on good food, concerts, trips to the islands etc

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

I'd also not recommend paying anywhere close to 50K for a condo, if you are retired and single.  What do you need 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 150+ sq/m for?   

Find a place for maximum 14K and spend the money you save on good food, concerts, trips to the islands etc

"3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 150+ sq/m for?   "

In a newish good project within a short walk to Asoke BTS? only if dreaming

54 minutes ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

"3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 150+ sq/m for?   "

In a newish good project within a short walk to Asoke BTS? only if dreaming

Didn't say near Asoke BTS.   

With a bit of online research you can find townhouses or condos within 1km from BTS/MRT for less than 30k.

ddproperty.com, and dotproperty.com.  As for the recommended areas, on my opinion sukhumvit area is great (on nut, prakanong, ekamai, thonglor is still afordable, then phrom pong to siam is more pricy indeed) also silom/sathorn area is ok, but I prefer sukhumvit. 

30 minutes ago, fathersicksendmoney said:
1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Didn't say near Asoke BTS.   

HUH You quoted my post that said 50k Asoke .

Your reply

"I'd also not recommend paying anywhere close to 50K for a condo, if you are retired and single.  What do you need 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 150+ sq/m for? "

You mentioned Asoke, but all I said was I don't recommend paying 50K for a condo if someone is single.   My point still stands that what does a single person need 150 sq/m for.   You may not be able to find that in Asoke, but plenty of places like that down the Sukhumvit line.

My first condo was 200 sq/m for 38K a month in On Nut.   I soon realised that the Bangkok social scene is more about meeting in bars and clubs, and very few people were ever going to come to see my amazing condo.   If you can't show off that you live in an amazing place what is the point in having it?   So when I moved out, my next place was much cheaper and smaller and I had more money for my social life.

2 minutes ago, seancbk said:

You mentioned Asoke, but all I said was I don't recommend paying 50K for a condo if someone is single.   My point still stands that what does a single person need 150 sq/m for.   You may not be able to find that in Asoke, but plenty of places like that down the Sukhumvit line.

My first condo was 200 sq/m for 38K a month in On Nut.   I soon realised that the Bangkok social scene is more about meeting in bars and clubs, and very few people were ever going to come to see my amazing condo.   If you can't show off that you live in an amazing place what is the point in having it?   So when I moved out, my next place was much cheaper and smaller and I had more money for my social life.

Not sure why you quoted my post at all but anyhow I agree people don't socialize here like back home so no need for a palace however 80-100 sqm in an absolute prime area in a 1st class condo is a good size and spacious enough. Thats gonna be close to 50k and yes you can rent cheaper On Nut but OP said price isn't the issue

On the fip side I dont get how expats lived there whole lives never having lived in a studio only to jump into a shoe box as soon as they get here. I stay 3 times a year in jomtien/pattaya for a break in a studio and after a month Im chomping at the bit to get back to my spacious BKK condo

Archived