Good areas to live in and around Bangkok

MartinJ

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

Not sure why you quoted my post at all but anyhow I agree people don't socialize here like back home so no need for a palace however 80-100 sqm in an absolute prime area in a 1st class condo is a good size and spacious enough. Thats gonna be close to 50k and yes you can rent cheaper On Nut but OP said price isn't the issue

On the fip side I dont get how expats lived there whole lives never having lived in a studio only to jump into a shoe box as soon as they get here. I stay 3 times a year in jomtien/pattaya for a break in a studio and after a month Im chomping at the bit to get back to my spacious BKK condo

2 hours ago, philcon said:

2 hours ago, philcon said:

Hi, Have you checked out take over my lease(TOML) on facebook ? Lots of good condos with pools and Gyms.

I will be moving to Bangkok also, TOML is a very good site to visit

Cheers

I'm in research phase still and not looking to take over someone else's lease. Having done some searches on property sites there is an obvious oversupply in the thousands of condos and homes in bangkok, so supply is certainly not something I am concerned about. 

It is the choice of area I need to pin down. There has been some interesting suggestions so far and ill look into those more.

The holiday mindset is different from being here permanently. I want some space, but it doesn't have to be over the top. At samut prakan my room was around 24sq and that is far far too small for me for a permanent stay. I'll be 55 and retired and I want my home surrounds to be comfortable and a place i enjoy relaxing and coming home to. Somewhere I can keep some personal belongings and tat has a small kitchen
I'd need around 60sqs+ to be satisfied and happy

4 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I live in Saphan Kwai, perfect for me. Close to BTS and MRT. Close to Big C Extra for grocery items, close to many restaurants and close to Chatuchak for running. 

Thanks
I have checked out some stops along the BTS line since i moved to chatuchak. Saphan Kwai, Ari, Phaya Thai all had some appeal and I've moved it onto my list to consider

I live in Bang Yai, about 25km outside of Bangkok in Nonthaburi. About 30 min, 18 Bht by bus to Bangkok. I'm renting a 3br, 2 bthr, 2 level townhouse with large living area, kitchen and outdoor carport and small garden area in a local baan hosing estate with 24 hr security at 5500bht per month, unfurnished. So yes had to buy some furniture, TV, bedding, fridge, lounge sofa etc, but shopping around can source most things relatively cheap. I'm 2km from the city centre, and besides 2 local Mama Papa shops in the estate, am close to 7/11, Central Westgate, IKEA, Homepro and 2 large Big C and a Tops supermarket. 25bht by motorbike taxi to town, and 50bht for a taxi with my fortnightly shopping and grog supply. Not many farangs, which I don't mind, a MRT purple line and buses going everywhere in Bangkok. With aircond, fans on all day about 1000 Bht for electric, and water 150bht with myself and GF. 631bht for 50/10 internet with 3BB, and Netflix for entertainment on the TV box. Night Market for food and shopping, McDonalds, Pizza Hut and company, and a few local drinking bars, perfect. I'm Ozzy and have Austrian mate in the village. Love it, inexpensive and can do lots of exploring around BKK still. 1 Yr lease, and ready to extend. PM me for more info.. 

I stay in the Thong Lor area.  About 25000 for a one bedroom condo with pool, gym, etc.  (probably about 60-65 m2)  For me, it works very well.  The condo is on a sub soi of Thong Lor, so close but away from the noise.  The down part is that it is about 1-1.5 km from the BTS stop, so it can be a hot walk, though there are moto taxis, regular taxis, and a baht bus that runs up and down Thong Lor.  I really like the condo, but would like to be a bit closer to BTS station.

15 hours ago, owenm said:

I live in Bang Yai, about 25km outside of Bangkok in Nonthaburi. About 30 min, 18 Bht by bus to Bangkok. I'm renting a 3br, 2 bthr, 2 level townhouse with large living area, kitchen and outdoor carport and small garden area in a local baan hosing estate with 24 hr security at 5500bht per month, unfurnished. So yes had to buy some furniture, TV, bedding, fridge, lounge sofa etc, but shopping around can source most things relatively cheap. I'm 2km from the city centre, and besides 2 local Mama Papa shops in the estate, am close to 7/11, Central Westgate, IKEA, Homepro and 2 large Big C and a Tops supermarket. 25bht by motorbike taxi to town, and 50bht for a taxi with my fortnightly shopping and grog supply. Not many farangs, which I don't mind, a MRT purple line and buses going everywhere in Bangkok. With aircond, fans on all day about 1000 Bht for electric, and water 150bht with myself and GF. 631bht for 50/10 internet with 3BB, and Netflix for entertainment on the TV box. Night Market for food and shopping, McDonalds, Pizza Hut and company, and a few local drinking bars, perfect. I'm Ozzy and have Austrian mate in the village. Love it, inexpensive and can do lots of exploring around BKK still. 1 Yr lease, and ready to extend. PM me for more info.. 

Thanks mate
I'll send you a message over the weekend

19 hours ago, seancbk said:

My first condo was 200 sq/m for 38K a month in On Nut.   I soon realised that the Bangkok social scene is more about meeting in bars and clubs, and very few people were ever going to come to see my amazing condo.   If you can't show off that you live in an amazing place what is the point in having it?   So when I moved out, my next place was much cheaper and smaller and I had more money for my social life.

I live in my condo, because I like it and not for someone else!

What is the point of having a nice condo? --> When you have a nice condo you spend less time outside in bars. Or when you have a bad condo you will enjoy going out more, because no fun to stay at home.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:47 AM, MartinJ said:

Thanks for that advice.

I had a walk around Ari one lunchtime and the place was packed with restaurants and food stalls and had a real buzz going on and I would certainly consider that area.  It was nearly all Thai people from what I could see, not so many tourists and I'd enjoy that longer term
I must check out Silom and the other side of the river along the train line there

I just moved to Ari.  I had rented a condo on Ladprao Rd near to the Ladprao MRT.  While that wasn't bad (convenient to work), there's not much in that area for food and entertainment.  Personally, I couldn't do Asoke.  That whole stretch of Suk from Nana down to Thonglor is just too much for me.  It's nice for a visit on the weekend but wouldn't want to deal with it on a daily basis.  Ari seems to be a pleasant compromise so far.  I definitely seem more farangs in Ari than I did on Ladprao...but still very local scene.  

Good luck whichever area you choose.

DO

1 minute ago, Days Off said:

Despite being highly touted, Blake flaked out on me completely a year ago when I was searching for a condo.

For my recent search, Jonathon Davison did a fantastic job:

Jon

Director
Phone - (+66) 0 907276508
E-mail -[email protected]
Web - www.promovebangkok.com

Ok thanks I will contact Jonathon, Im looking to stay close to Chaoa river, its quieter there and I like the river scene. 

www.promovebangkok.com

I just had a browse over his web site it looks very professional, Thanks,  Im going over To Bangkok in December I will be looking

very seriously to getting  a condo for retirement. Right now I'm freezing in Sydney, its  been a great place to bring up the kids but a pretty

poor retirement option. 

cheers 

4 hours ago, Days Off said:

I just moved to Ari.  I had rented a condo on Ladprao Rd near to the Ladprao MRT.  While that wasn't bad (convenient to work), there's not much in that area for food and entertainment.  Personally, I couldn't do Asoke.  That whole stretch of Suk from Nana down to Thonglor is just too much for me.  It's nice for a visit on the weekend but wouldn't want to deal with it on a daily basis.  Ari seems to be a pleasant compromise so far.  I definitely seem more farangs in Ari than I did on Ladprao...but still very local scene.  

Good luck whichever area you choose.

DO

What is your approx. size and price of your condo in Ari area?

I rented a modest unfurnished two bedroom older style condo in Ramkamhaeng for 6000 baht per month. I furnished it myself and it was clean and comfortabIe with all the services. Used to catch bus no 40 which would take me to direct to Sukhumvit Soi 4 to do my shopping at Villa Mart and Foodland. Plus an odd beer or three at at the Beer Garden.

On 7/19/2018 at 2:28 PM, owenm said:

sounds good,am living in that area myself (Bang Bua Thong) and am using the same shops that you mention

I live in a house on stilts by a canal - love it

however, if the OP didn't appreciate Bang Pu - by the sea - the fresh air - the seafood availability - the relative closeness to Skytrain

I doubt he would appreciate Bang Yai or Bang Bua Thong or Bang Kruai for that matter

Ong Nut but not near station but nice condo mix of people 7k baht. Next to MRT line in ONn15 to 20k. But since the new governments took over Bangkok is joyless dump. Night life killed off. Random piss tests on the streets. Food vendors, street life, pop up bars, markets stalls, artistic communities....All under the jackboot. Dreadful and depressing.

I don't understand how anyone can pay 50k for a condo anywhere in Bangkok, unless you enjoy wasting money.  Good luck with that project . 

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

sounds good,am living in that area myself (Bang Bua Thong) and am using the same shops that you mention

I live in a house on stilts by a canal - love it

however, if the OP didn't appreciate Bang Pu - by the sea - the fresh air - the seafood availability - the relative closeness to Skytrain

I doubt he would appreciate Bang Yai or Bang Bua Thong or Bang Kruai for that matter

Sorry 55k or 5500? I am confused 

21 minutes ago, balo said:

I don't understand how anyone can pay 50k for a condo anywhere in Bangkok, unless you enjoy wasting money.  Good luck with that project . 

How is living exactly where you want to and in a style your accustomed to wasting money?  Its all relative to what you did with your life before getting here. Most appeared to have done very little. 50k is a shock to your system but you cant judge others by what you cant afford !

5 minutes ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

How is living exactly where you want to and in a style your accustomed to wasting money?  Its all relative to what you did with your life before getting here. Most appeared to have done very little. 50k is a shock to your system but you cant judge others by what you can afford

I think it was a house near Bangkok and it was 5000 not 50k

Just now, The manic said:

1 minute ago, The manic said:

No not that the OP has 50k to spend for a condo in BKK. The 5k guy lives out in woop woop and have no idea why he thought OP would be interested in a mooban

On 7/19/2018 at 7:28 PM, owenm said:

I live in Bang Yai, about 25km outside of Bangkok in Nonthaburi. About 30 min, 18 Bht by bus to Bangkok.

That sounds interesting, out of the city but still within striking distance. Where does the 30 minute bus ride into BKK terminate? Is it in the city center?

Archived