Good areas to live in and around Bangkok

MartinJ

That sounds interesting, out of the city but still within striking distance. Where does the 30 minute bus ride into BKK terminate? Is it in the city center?
Can get bus to Banglumpoo Khaosan area, Chatuchak, Sukhumvit etc minivan and a/c buses from outside Central Westgate. Purple line MRT, extending soon to Siam line, but still waiting. 25bht mb taxi to city, 2.5km.away. Nonthaburi Immigration only 6.5km away. So not really in the sticks. Although searching for cheap house rentals requires some online searching. But they are there..

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

How is living exactly where you want to and in a style your accustomed to wasting money?  Its all relative to what you did with your life before getting here. Most appeared to have done very little. 50k is a shock to your system but you cant judge others by what you cant afford !

I'm not shocked that people can afford to spend 50K on a condo. I could also afford to spend that. In fact I could spend double or triple that.

What shocks me is that a small condo in Bangkok is considered to be worth that amount.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I'm not shocked that people can afford to spend 50K on a condo. I could also afford to spend that. In fact I could spend double or triple that.

What shocks me is that a small condo in Bangkok is considered to be worth that amount.

In California I was spending  $2200 a month in Los Angeles and that was several years ago.

It really depends from what type of economic environment one comes from.

50k will get you a very nice place near Asoke.

Generally, rents are pretty reasonable here I think for a major Asian city.

Some will disagree, no problem.

Before considering a house (especially in the 'burbs) be sure to consider whether the area is flood prone. More trouble than it's worth if so. Much better in my opinion is a nice modern condo in a bustling neighbourhood with easy access to everything and lots going on. 

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Before considering a house (especially in the 'burbs) be sure to consider whether the area is flood prone. More trouble than it's worth if so. Much better in my opinion is a nice modern condo in a bustling neighbourhood with easy access to everything and lots going on. 

by all means, a very good point and not to be forgotten

during the floods 6? years ago Bang Yai and Bang Bua Thong and Bang Kruai very disaster areas

the water was well above a meter up the wall in my bedroom

On 7/20/2018 at 9:09 PM, Days Off said:

72 m2 for 2 bed 2 bath on Pahonyothin between Sanam Pao & Ari BTS for 30k.

That is a decent enough size and reasonable price

You mentioned you used an agent, was there any particular advantage to doing it that way?

2 hours ago, MartinJ said:

That is a decent enough size and reasonable price

You mentioned you used an agent, was there any particular advantage to doing it that way?

When I was searching for a condo a year ago, I was let down miserably by the agents.  A Thai friend ended up taking me around to all the condos in the area I was looking...and that worked.  

I started out doing the same for my search in Ari.  The agent for one of the units I stopped by was Jon.  He offered to help so for grins I gave him my criteria.  He responded quick with some listings that matched what I was looking for...one of which was the unit I ended up renting.  I wouldn’t have found as good a deal on my own.

I recommend both visiting the condos you are interested in and chatting with an agent. 

On 7/21/2018 at 10:38 AM, KittenKong said:

I'm shocked that you think a 50K condo in Bangkok is small.   I know it depends a bit on location but for 50K you should be able to find at least 150 sq/m which is hardly small.

In Sydney the average rent per month for two bedroom is 50k no pool, no gym, no furniture.

I'm hoping to find a condo 50m2  for 35k in Thong Lor with a good size pool and furnished. 

That would be a bargain compared to Sydney.

4 hours ago, philcon said:

In Sydney the average rent per month for two bedroom is 50k no pool, no gym, no furniture.

I'm hoping to find a condo 50m2  for 35k in Thong Lor with a good size pool and furnished. 

If you look hard enough, you will get that for a lot less close to Thong Lor BTS.

5 hours ago, philcon said:

I lived in Sydney (never again) for 12 months in a 54k apartment which was under the flight path to Mascot airport. It's funny when I think of the things that annoyed the crap out of me back then makes me smile now. But I would never stay in an apartment in bkk for that outlay, much better available for much less.

1 hour ago, stevkob said:

I lived in Sydney (never again) for 12 months in a 54k apartment which was under the flight path to Mascot airport. It's funny when I think of the things that annoyed the crap out of me back then makes me smile now. But I would never stay in an apartment in bkk for that outlay, much better available for much less.

You didn't mention when, Mascot is total chaos now and houses are over a million, I'm70 now and just looking for a pool, good coffee and a quiet life. Sydney is none of those things and very expensive, I have been to Bangkok several times and enjoyed it so  I'll give it a go. I thanks for your comments. cheers

On 7/21/2018 at 1:01 AM, balo said:

I don't understand how anyone can pay 50k for a condo anywhere in Bangkok, unless you enjoy wasting money.  Good luck with that project . 

I have friends who pay 100k 

Archived