vegatables to grow during this season ?

Hi Noonpin! 

I too live in Korat and was never sure what to plant when so I created a basic calendar to help me figure out when to plant my seeds.

This calendar is NOT PERFECT and is far from complete. There are obviously a lot of other plants grown here which I haven't included yet. 

Any feedback from fellow TV members is much appreciated.

Growing timetable ISANpdf.pdf

Comprehensive list thanks ,Brussel sprouts ? an odd ball ,if you can grow onions ,is that the shallot type onions  as well ,if so you could add garlic  ,what few onions/shallots  are grown around here garlic is grown at the some time .likes cool weather .

If you can grow spuds ,well done ,I have tried 2-3 times put them in the ground ,that was the last I time I  saw them .

If you have water corn can be grown in the cool season ,but can overlap in to hot season ,the cobs might not be full ,as we found out .

9 hours ago, djayz said:

Hi Noonpin! 

I too live in Korat and was never sure what to plant when so I created a basic calendar to help me figure out when to plant my seeds.

This calendar is NOT PERFECT and is far from complete. There are obviously a lot of other plants grown here which I haven't included yet. 

Any feedback from fellow TV members is much appreciated.

Growing timetable ISANpdf.pdf

Great job, thanks djayz !

39 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Comprehensive list thanks ,Brussel sprouts ? an odd ball ,if you can grow onions ,is that the shallot type onions  as well ,if so you could add garlic  ,what few onions/shallots  are grown around here garlic is grown at the some time .likes cool weather .

If you can grow spuds ,well done ,I have tried 2-3 times put them in the ground ,that was the last I time I  saw them .

If you have water corn can be grown in the cool season ,but can overlap in to hot season ,the cobs might not be full ,as we found out .

Thanks. I forgot to add onions and shallots, which I have grown with various degrees of success. Garlic too, but unfortunately I wasn't around to harvest it and lost the lot.

I haven't tried spuds yet, but a guy down the road from us grows them quite successfully apparently (haven't seen his crop yet) so I'll try those next year god willing. 

I also forgot to add corn which grew really well for us one year and not at all the following. 

A timely topic as I was just starting a planting list too, only a hearsay one with advice from my Gf so far:

planting.JPG.85a832895dae7f2ae44601f158ff789d.JPG

it's an Excel spreadsheet that I've just started. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oW0D0Vh8LN7OP3qoFZqv4wm8Gu4hbzHO

hopefully I will be able to input some practical experience from this coming cool season onwards.

( This is for Ubon by the way )

14 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I have a problem with tomatoes when it rains are you folks planting in a greenhouse or do you have suggestions?

Tomatoes don't like getting wet... I always plant my seeds in late Sept./early Oct. and keep them under the porch roof out of the rain. Then, just as the rainy season is coming to an end, plant the seedlings out. When watering the plants, be careful not to water the leaves, they don't like this. Just water around the base of the plants and you should have delicious, home-grown tomatoes in about 90 days from the time of transplanting them out (or was it from the day the seeds were planted? Can never remember that one...). 

Good luck! 

On 7/27/2018 at 11:43 PM, djayz said:

Tomatoes don't like getting wet... I always plant my seeds in late Sept./early Oct. and keep them under the porch roof out of the rain. Then, just as the rainy season is coming to an end, plant the seedlings out. When watering the plants, be careful not to water the leaves, they don't like this. Just water around the base of the plants and you should have delicious, home-grown tomatoes in about 90 days from the time of transplanting them out (or was it from the day the seeds were planted? Can never remember that one...). 

Good luck! 

Thank you!

I found a planting calendar at the university of Florida website http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vh021 which has a good list of veggies suitable for Florida, and their planting dates, yield, etc. According to Wikipedia, Florida’s climate is hot and tropical with a rainy season from may to October, and a cool season too, so just like Thailand ? Do we have any ex residents of Florida with green thumbs to offer comments ?

• 5 months later...

Thanks to all who replied. I got several good leads and advice. 

My cucumber are doing well and tomatoes just sprouted. 

I have a feeling these are best started in November or even October for Thailand. Just the reverse of what I thought. 

Good luck. Let's try to keep sharing ideas and experience. 

Archived