• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I think the headline is a bit misleading, they are not going to the North Pole,

but to  Norway’s Svalbard islands, which has population,hotels,ect,so I think

they will survive OK,

regards worgeordie

still a pretty cold place, not too bad in the summer though (that also applies to the actual North Pole (not far away))

several Thais live/work in Svalbard - in fact the 3rd largest population group on the islands is Thai (only beaten by Norwegians and Russians)

(why Thais in this remote outpost? Work permit and visa not needed)

strange place this Svalbard - worth a visit though

Has all the sounds of a national ego boost with little substantive data.   Everyday I am in Bangkok, I see Thai throw crap in the water.  That is were to put your energies, not some vanity laden prance in sub zero weather.  The lack of attention to practical matters in Thailand is mind numbing

A THAI TEAM will be the first from Asia to explore the North Pole on a mission to conduct underwater exploration and the impact of microplastics on marine life.

Just an excuse for a good "Jolly" if they really wanted to study the effects of micro plastics on marine life they could dive off many beaches here in Thailand and get first hand knowledge of what happens!!!

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

they will survive OK,

regards worgeordie

yes, have hotels - also polar bears

polar bears are freaks, most animals kill their prospective meals and then proceed to eat,

not so with polar bears - they cannot be bothered with the killing - they just grab you and eat

to illustrate a bit;

the main city has about 1800 inhabitants I think - maybe 2000 today - dunno am out of tune

the archipelago boss (normally a very high ranking official from the Norwegian Justice dept) sometimes

issues polar bear warnings - in particular during snowy times when heaps of snow makes it tricky

for bears to find food; they seek areas where there is people and maybe food to be found

DO NOT VENTURE OUTSIDE YOUR LIVING QUARTERS WITHOUT BEING ARMED!!!

(this includes going to the supermarket for fags and a six pack)

armed doesn't mean you have to carry a machine gun - signal pistol or the like would do - would normally scare the shit out of polar bears

on the roads leading out of the city (if you can call it that) there are road signs (very close to the city)

depicting a gun or so and clear text saying DO NOT PASS THIS POINT WITHOUT BEING ARMED

first time I arrived there (by airplane) I was rather shocked,

out of the plane into the terminal building - lots and lots of people there to meet friends and relatives

and almost everybody carrying rifles on their shoulders

normally airports are void of shooters  - not so at Svalbard - rather the contrary

some more off topic

one time I was there;

we were a party of 7 my boss me my wife 4 foreigners and  had a very productive drafting meeting

now SValbard is a superb place for satellite tracking and downlinking data - many tracking stations there

one day we visited one of the tracking stations (on top of the mountain next to the main "city" )

first a session in  the "office building" where properties and purposes and the like were explained,

then off to the antenna building to actually see it seeking/scanning the sky - finding the bird - then following it and doing the downloading

now, the antenna building was about 150 meters away from the office building, across a flat top of a mountain with no vegetation,

we were 7 + the guide / 4 people with high powered rifles (not on the shoulders but in their hands) ready to shoot followed us those 150 meters

2 weeks before, on the same mountain 2 teenage girls were <deleted> up by polar bears,

they had gone hiking from the main "city" to the top of that mountain - then spotted by hungry freaks

one lass was eaten the other one was seriously mutilated

'

don't <deleted> with polar bears

nuff off topic

6 hours ago, peperobi said:

13? this number remember me something...maybe we will see another rescue action....

And why do you think they choose to go on an expedition with exactly 13 people ?  Thais are superstitious , now 13 is a lucky number after what happened in CR. 

Says it all really. Stay home is my advise. 

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

they will survive OK,

We've had tourists at Svalbard been eaten alive by polar bears in the past , so I wouldn't bet on it.  BTW I am from that region.  But they will probably be fine. Lots of big Norwegians with rifles up there. 

Brit 17, killed in polar bear attack

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

- in fact the 3rd largest population group on the islands is Thai (only beaten by Norwegians and Russians)

(why Thais in this remote outpost? Work permit and visa not needed)

Haha , good point , I don't know why this happened , maybe a couple of the women married Norwegians and moved to Svalbard. Then they found out we need more food choices so within a couple of years a group of Thais were cooking food.  Then others followed .   Funny place Svalbard. 

Anyway the "expedition" will feel at home there with the "local" Thai food. 

4 minutes ago, balo said:

Haha , good point , I don't know why this happened , maybe a couple of the women married Norwegians and moved to Svalbard. Then they found out we need more food choices so within a couple of years a group of Thais were cooking food.  Then others followed .   Funny place Svalbard. 

Anyway the "expedition" will feel at home there with "local" Thai food. 

yep,

probably

most of 'em working as cleaners in hotels and the like I guess, but there are some exceptions

not long ago a Thai lass was elected to (let us call it) the city council - hence, now an official bureaucrat of Svalbard

why thais there? visa/work permit not required - taxes are very low - salaries are very good

34 minutes ago, upu2 said:

Have they actually ever been in conditions as cold as that part of the world has on a daily basis? They are in for a big, big shock

summer time is no challenge really

0 degrees no challenge

-5 degrees no challenge

just a matter of proper clothing and footwear

(no sweat really)

now,

when you start talking -10 -15 -20 -25 -30 degrees things change a bit

not all humans have respiratory organs that can hack that - at least not without considerable training

now,

there are a fair amount of reindeers in Svalbard, these creatures are somewhat different from those you find in

Norway - Sweden - Finland - and Russia

the Svalbard ones are generally smaller and with shorter legs (i e closer to the ground)

and their breathing organs differ from their sisters on the mainland

the nose/mouth part is particularly designed for the extremely low winter temperatures

the "face" has the opposite of an intercooler - it has a pre-warmer, before the air is dragged into the lungs

anyway,

now is a very comfortable time of the year to visit Svalbard

no blizzards no need for wading through snow in order to get your fags and 6-pack - reasonably civilised the place is now

now,

the Thai team may enjoy bright sunshine round the clock (24/7) the sun is shining - might make an impression on them

This Thai team has already done a visit to the South Pole, so this northern visit should hold few unknown challenges weather wise.

A foundation sponsored by Princess Sirindhorn is funding this expedition, so I guess they've got good intentions, but it's difficult to know what they hope to achieve in 3 weeks that has not been thoroughly researched already.

If they find a couple of BigC bags floating at the North Pole, I guess that will justify the trip very nicely. 

Actually, I don't really see a problem with this. If the government or the Thai people will not take action on things until there is proof, proof observed by other Thai individuals, then let them go. Worst that can happen is the status quo stays the same, best is that it is leading towards a society who is beginning to take a look at the impact they are having on the world, thus making the appropriate changes. Now if it were the government saying a "war on Plastic," then I actually think nothing will be done than lip service. Here, everyday Thai's are stepping up to look at the impact they are having on the world. The best change happens at the grassroots level.

What I'm wondering is how the Thai people will survive without Thai food, or are they bringing their own. I've never been around such picky eaters.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

A THAI TEAM will be the first from Asia to explore the North Pole on a mission to conduct underwater exploration and the impact of microplastics on marine life.

They messed up Thailand. Why do they have to mess up the North Pole too? Hope, they get eaten by polar bears!

22 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

What I'm wondering is how the Thai people will survive without Thai food, or are they bringing their own. I've never been around such picky eaters.

Thais crave Som Tum. Being without it for more than 48 hours, they will be suicidal. Do they expect that som tum is sold at the North Pole? They will be back in Bangkok less than 72 hours after leaving for the North Pole!

Thais crave Som Tum. Being without it for more than 48 hours, they will be suicidal. Do they expect that som tum is sold at the North Pole? They will be back in Bangkok less than 72 hours after leaving for the North Pole!
Please read the whole thread will you ? We have just confirmed they are not going to the North Pole but to the Svalbard islands, and there is a small Thai population there , working in restaurants, so there is a good chance they can eat Som Tum anytime they want.

Archived