Thais, Chinese and Burmese arrested over Phuket’s 13 million baht ‘call centre’ gang

webfact

Thais, Chinese and Burmese arrested over Phuket’s 13 million baht ‘call centre’ gang

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__28213327-1024x768-1.jpg

“Police seized 8 laptops, 4 wi-fi routers, 150 mobile phones, 4 iPad tablets, one money counting machine, 135 credit cards, 6 ATM cards, 52 SIM cards, 13,568,570 baht in cash, 3,800 yuan cash and one new Mercedes Benz CLA 200.”

Representatives of the Tourist Police Bureau, based in Bangkok, have arrested 2 Thais, 22 Chinese and 1 Burmese who were allegedly working for a call-centre scam gang that has stolen some 13 million baht to date. The arrests happened in Patong today.

The arrests come after the Tourist Police were notified by Jilin Police in China that Jilin City has been badly affected by call centre gangs. Some victims have committed suicide over losses from gangs, some of them based in Patong, Phuket.  Jilin Police have worked with Thai Tourist Police to crack down on the call centre gangs in Thailand.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/thais-chinese-and-burmese-arrested-over-phukets-13-million-baht-call-centre-gang

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-19

Again, this is happening all over again because of the weak Thaila laws when it comes to punishing the people who are engaged in the crimes of theft by deception,

the money and the car will disappear to some coffres or pockets, the foreign culprits will be sent back home and all are none the wiser until next week where another operation will be found doing exactly the same... 

Caption for picture should be....one for you,one for me,one for you,one for me.this crime would of gone on for years and right under the nose of Thai police.its only come to light because of the Chinese police.the only reason a lot of crimes and criminals are caught is because Thai sing like a bird when caught and try to save their skin.i do wonder if the victims will ever see some of their money back or if it gets lost.

Eyes on the prize! Big Joke busts Phuket call centers and there's a whole lot of cash

18-.1_180718_0014-1024x683.jpg

Picture: Thai Tourist Police Bureau

The Tourist Police Bureau website reported that crime buster extraordinary Surachet Hakpal had moved his operations to Phuket.

There in cooperation with Chinese police he has busted call center operations and got a lot of evidence.

Our picture today shows the Pol Maj Gen - the deputy commissioner of the tourist police known affectionately as Big Joke - with other high ranking officers eyeing a bag of cash containing 13.5 million baht.

The operation was conducted after the Thai authorities were contacted by Jeelin police in China. The area has suffered at the hands of Thai based call centers manned mostly by Chinese nationals.

They extorted money to such a degree that some people committed suicide, said the TPB website.

Twenty five arrests were made at a total of six locations in the Patong area of Phuket. Arrested were 22 Chinese - several of whom were on overstay. The others were two Thais and a Myanmar national.

A large cache of evidence including computer equipment, phones, electronic cards and a Mercedes Benz CLA were taken into evidence.

And that bag of cash containing 13,568,570 baht.

Source: Thai Tourist Police Bureau

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-19

Funny how it takes the boys from Bangkok to come down and bust them in a big publicity stunt.

If they know these things are operating bust them at source. most agencies the lower ranks do the work- with the police it seems its all down to the Generals!

How often does one see 'Lt Col X arrested so and so' when in reality Sgt Somchai could have conducted the arrest.

I still find it amazing that this guy is doing all this when in fact he doesn't even have the power of arrest.  He's part of the Tourist Police who have no power.  I guess he collects the evidence and passes it on to the main police.  Anyway, well done him!

Come on Thai, Chinese and Burmese WAKE UP. There are NO GREAT PAYING JOBS JUST WAITING FOR YOU IN THAILAND. If so I would already have one. Like the rat/mouse once you're in the Trap you stay there until the joint governments bust your call (SLAVE) center.

Representatives of the Tourist Police Bureau, based in Bangkok, have arrested 2 Thais, 22 Chinese and 1 Burmese who were allegedly working for a call-centre scam gang 

Ah, those quality tourists again. Place is awash with dodgy Chinese pulling all kinds of scams and indifferent mafia crap....hell, even the government and ruling elite are all half-Chinese. 

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

I still find it amazing that this guy is doing all this when in fact he doesn't even have the power of arrest.  He's part of the Tourist Police who have no power.  I guess he collects the evidence and passes it on to the main police.  Anyway, well done him!

Completely wrong. 

3 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Completely wrong. 

But you never explained why.  I don't believe I'm 'completely wrong'.  The Tourist Police don't have full police powers and they have to pass on information to the regular police for arrest.

However, I'll answer my own comment for you.  This taken from an interview with 'Big Joke':

Surachet praised head of the Royal Thai Police Chakthip Chaijinda for creating a better organisational structure enabling people like him to do their work in a spirit of improved cooperation.

Many people wonder how a deputy commissioner of the Tourist Police can be the highest profile cop in the land, at least in terms of public recognition and handling of so many widespread cases.

Surachet said that he enjoys the co-operation of people high up and the whole of the force.

He reiterated that he was able to do what he does because of widespread agreement among different arms of the police and in political circles.

I can't help but wonder how they wil split up all that money..... But i have serious doubts that any of it will go back to where it came from and surely none of it will make it to school lunches for the poor.........LOL.........

14 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Could someone be so good as to explain to me why there would be so much cash in Thai Baht when the chinese in China are the ones being scammed?

The money would be paid into accounts in China and withdrawn in Thailand in baht. That is why the electronic cards are important evidence. 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, Johnnyngai said:

I used to get calls from them from time to time,

but my Mandarin is so broken that the callers get headaches.

but my Mandarin is so broken...……….

They always call me on my phone!!

Archived