Thai environment minister declares war on plastic bags at markets - D-Day July 21st

webfact

1 minute ago, DonaldBattles said:

The Chinese Government had the balls to ban trow away plastic bags 6 years ago. Reusable bags are available for sale in all stores in China. When will the Thai government get smart and do the same?

<cynical mode:on>

They've already set a date: 12th of Never.

<cynical mode:off>

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Resistance to change,  convenience attitude, 

we all need to do a little more.

I have just brought back 5 canvas bags and 2 insulated shopping bags. My gf has welcomed the change and we have no issues at any store we use them. Plastic water bottles next and so on. She appreciates that Thais need to take some ownership as well as foreigners in keeping this place beautiful.

31 minutes ago, MikeN said:

but fruit and veg markets, as in the OP photo, do not need each vegetable to be put into their own plastic bags, they can all go into one reusable cloth bag.

This post reminded me of something that happened to me in Big C.  The cashier diligently put my items into the cloth bag as she scanned them.  But then she got to something that was a non-food item.  It was something innocuous like cotton ear-buds, and she put these into a plastic bag.  When I pointed out that there was still plenty of room in the cloth bag, the cashier said "okay okay, but Thai people don't like".  

I took this to mean certain types of items shouldn't be mixed.  Perhaps any Thai people here can comment about that.

Can't believe all the negativity about this applaudable environmental effort.

Plastic bag use at farmer's markets is probably not going to be reduced greatly unless you ban them and force people to bring a reusable shopping bag. Convenience and supermarket plastic bag usage could be cut a lot, especially for just a few items.

I routinely decline plastic bags at supermarkets and every opportunity I can. When shopping at supermarkets, I bring several large crates. I unload the unbagged groceries into the crates, organizing the groceries by how they will be stored once I get home. I must save 20-30 plastic bags each visit, so it adds up.

Foreigners, who have historically had more environmental awareness training, need to show leadership in this area and embrace this initiative by the government.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

No mention was made when the government might address the problem at these kind of stores.

The most bags coming from all the big stores like Tesco, Big C, Family Mart, 7/11 and many more, is not fair, to begin with, the market vendors.

50 minutes ago, MikeN said:

but fruit and veg markets, as in the OP photo, do not need each vegetable to be put into their own plastic bags, they can all go into one reusable cloth bag.

as for the soups, curries. etc, in the plastic bags ….taking your own tiffin container would eliminate the need for many of those bags (and the pesky rubber bands !)

"...taking your own tiffin container...."

image.jpeg.bc94daa2bf28648e38ae3881741be3b1.jpeg

Most plastic bags at markets are so thin , they weigh next to nothing, so not much plastic and easy to burn. Nearly all food items at the market need to go in a plastic bag. What about the Farmhouse kinds of bread ? Thick plastic is necessairy to keep the bugs out and the bread airtight.

A lot more plastic to package liquids , from water to shampoo bottles, ... there is no alternative.

Actually, I have noticed a marked change in attitude recently from Thai shop owners. When I refuse their offer of a plastic bag for a small item I can put in my pocket, or my wife has a shopping bag which we use for multiple items, they smile and say "Thank you for saving (not using?) plastic"!  

10 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Most plastic bags at markets are so thin , they weigh next to nothing, so not much plastic and easy to burn. Nearly all food items at the market need to go in a plastic bag.

This has got to be the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. You honestly believe that, simply because the bags are thin, they do not pose a huge problem? Nothing sold at a typical Thai market NEEDS to go in a plastic bag; this is just a lame excuse not to get our of your comfort zone and doing what's right. 

As pointed out by many posters, fruit and veggies can easily go into a canvas shopping bag. Food and other "wet" stuff can go in either reusable ziplock bags or contains (tin, stainless, tupperware, etc) you bring from home.

People seem to forget that, not even that long ago, people were shopping at markets without using a single plastic bag.

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:

Whenever my kids go and buy food, or soup on the market, they take sealable PE containers from home. Also very useful are the plastic containers from Wall's ice cream, the big pack. They can be washed and reused zillions of times.

walls.jpg

images(3).jpeg.539e14c130165fa4702a71bcd92844b7.jpeg

How about what People used to carry their lunch in.  Could easily carry that to the market to receive hot foods,  deserts etc.

1 hour ago, Bragolatch said:

A really easy way to improve the situation would be for the gouvernment to ease the way in to one of the bio degradable substitute like :

https://www.associatedbag.com/ShowCategory.aspx?CategoryID=3069&gclid=CjwKCAjw7cDaBRBtEiwAsxprXfcyHwTYr9wrWT_prQ0xsVqU-BqPXNXTtkWc97egrLAQlfbl1ykegRoC4TUQAvD_BwE

or better yet, build a manufactory to produce and distribute their own at the same or lower price then plastic making the change a no brainer while creating jobs locally.

I heartily agree with this. Too difficult in this country of instant gratification to expect people to plan their shopping by bringing containers for rice and green curry and soup. Better to address the problem at take away stalls by letting people still use bags, but ones that recycle or rot down easily. The technology already exists, just need the government to force manufacturers to switch to new materials. Section 44 anyone?

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Charge for each bag 5 or 10 bht problem solved.

folks will bring their own bags.

Which is exactly how it works in UK and since the introduction of that law, plastic bag use has plummeted. Search for it on the 'net if you don't believe me.

30 minutes ago, jhonnie said:

plastic bags are not a problem if you don't throw them down the drain

For goodness sake!  Either you're trolling or you just aren't looking around. :crying:

Open your eyes and look at how much plastic waste is being dumped all over Thailand, and many other countries.

Watch "The Blue Planet 2"  - Sir David Attenborough brought it to our attention - where were you? 

8 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Starting the campaign at food markets maybe isn't the brightest of ideas. Normally the products are not 'dry' and to mix the products in the customer's own bag, as low as the risk maybe, isn't the most hygienic way of bringing wares home. 

Especially with the number of reports about the pesticides and other chemicals being used in the growing stages.

This year, I will be taking to Thailand different sizes of snap-on lids plastic containers, (re-usable hehe). Fish, shrimps, chicken, will find their way in those... So something is making its way in the mind of shoppers. But as it appears, it will have to make a start with the expats. The education must start somewhere....

They are going at it bass akwards. 

Start with Big C, Tops, Villa.. Etc

In Yangon Marketplace Grocers have Monday as NO PLASTIC, either you bring your own Eco Bag, load the stuff in the cart directly in your vehicle or buy a cloth reusable bag from them. Some restaurants in Yangon have no straws, and if you want take away... Bring your own bag. 

People learn quickly when there is only 1 choice 

Was in Big C and the lady ahead of me must have had 40 plastic bags. 

It's avoidable starting with the cashiers and baggers. 

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The market is a place where plastic bags are quite necessary. The emphasis should be on getting people to recycle and above all, to stop throwing their trash all over. Littering is the biggest issue with plastic pollution in Thailand

or alternatively....

fa3bba8f6c268607ee1554fe0766a021--kids-hot-lunches-lunchbox-ideas-bag-lunches.jpg

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Can't believe all the negativity about this applaudable environmental effort.

Plastic bag use at farmer's markets is probably not going to be reduced greatly unless you ban them and force people to bring a reusable shopping bag. Convenience and supermarket plastic bag usage could be cut a lot, especially for just a few items.

I routinely decline plastic bags at supermarkets and every opportunity I can. When shopping at supermarkets, I bring several large crates. I unload the unbagged groceries into the crates, organizing the groceries by how they will be stored once I get home. I must save 20-30 plastic bags each visit, so it adds up.

Foreigners, who have historically had more environmental awareness training, need to show leadership in this area and embrace this initiative by the government.

The negativity stems from the ridiculous attitude many members have towards their adopted home and Thais.  

Saw this sign outside a 7/11 recently.  Some Thais are just as concerned about the use of plastic bags as we are.

IMG_20180708_172923.thumb.jpg.93c71cb50b99afdc8bc61141b5f823f2.jpg

Start with the elementary and highschools first to educate people.

Start projects with kids just to clean the area around the schools and the parks they use for their lunchbreak.

Older people are very difficult to change behaviour. Start with young people.

Another thing what could be done pay people for their plasic garbage. Start with like 10 bath per 25 kilo's deliverder at dump.

I do not understand why start with fresh markets. I always also feel silly whengo to lotus or big-c or 7-eleven and see the staff packing every item in a seperate bag. What I mostly do is alreday gathering things when place them on the belt together. Staff maximum 4 bottles of cola in one bag while there is place for 6 to 8.

HEavy things first so can place the lighter things on top.

Next wath can be done is get people clean the sides of the roads by making people aware of the dirt and not throw it at open places. When walk in Jomtien along second beach road from Soi 1 to the bun kanchana alley I am always feeling sad when I see outside the sidewalk on beach side the ammounts of platic bags with garbage lying around there.

Most dumped by the busdrivers who are parking there overnight.

I also live in a small village in Uttaradit. I started when I came to the family house to raise mother in law and started a clean up around the house. When she found out less mosquitos. Les mice and rats. People in the ban asking why i did this but said it is nice and better looking also on the streetsides (along the road both sides over 500 meter family land).  Where I cleaned the roadsides also.

I was invited in the highschool and discuss environemnet control with the studenst at about 14 to 16. They were listening and when I did show them pictures from jomtien beach and their own park.

I proposed them when in luch break all take one plastic bag and clean their own environment around the school.

It did work.

I can see that when I pas around the school area it stays clean and no litter around everywhere.

But I also know it is just around the school perimeters.

6 minutes ago, seancbk said:

The negativity stems from the ridiculous attitude many members have towards their adopted home and Thais.  

Saw this sign outside a 7/11 recently.  Some Thais are just as concerned about the use of plastic bags as we are.

If I'm reading that right, you get 10 points on your 7/11 card for refusing a plastic bag ? I guess that's a start but charging 5 baht or so for each bag would be better, not everybody has a 7/11 card.

It is also common knowledge that "Reusable bags for life” can spread deadly food poisoning bacteria if they are used to carry raw foods such as fish and meat" 

Seeing most thai's buy fish and meat at the local market I wonder how many will have to get terribly ill or die before this nonsense to ban plastic bags ends. 

I do accept he plastic bags for shopping at likes of BigC. My only excuse for this is that I reuse the bags as bin liners for my non biodegradable waste that I believe can't be recycled. Some people actually buy plastic bin liner bags.  I would be open to suggestions as how to handle that waste as simply throwing it into the street bin unbagged ends up all over the street when the bin men collect it. I can and do use my own bag when I shop at the Likes of Makro so I just need a solution to the disposal issue.

2 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

It is also common knowledge that "Reusable bags for life” can spread deadly food poisoning bacteria if they are used to carry raw foods such as fish and meat" 

Seeing most thai's buy fish and meat at the local market I wonder how many will have to get terribly ill or die before this nonsense to ban plastic bags ends. 

Only the careless ones who don't separate raw foods from other items.

Tell me...if it works in UK, parts of Europe and I believe parts of Australia (?) why shouldn't it work in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

I do accept he plastic bags for shopping at likes of BigC. My only excuse for this is that I reuse the bags as bin liners for my non biodegradable waste that I believe can't be recycled. Some people actually buy plastic bin liner bags.  I would be open to suggestions as how to handle that waste as simply throwing it into the street bin unbagged ends up all over the street when the bin men collect it. I can and do use my own bag when I shop at the Likes of Makro so I just need a solution to the disposal issue.

I do the same in UK - when the "single-use" bags are worn, they become "bin-bags" which I can tie up and put inside the general rubbish bin. I concede that UK is ahead of Thailand in the whole recycling thing but does that suggestion merit any thought?

22 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

True, but you can put the raw food into a plastic bag, then put that bag into a reusable one …..not, as I just saw 15 minutes ago at the local market, put the 1st bag into another plastic bag, then go to the next stall and repeat, so using twice as many bags as needed.

PS What did Thais use to wrap their meat and fish in 50 years ago before plastic bags ? Obviously they survived, just as people of my era survived when the butcher wrapped meat in paper not plastic and styrofoam.....

50 minutes ago, VBF said:

Which is exactly how it works in UK and since the introduction of that law, plastic bag use has plummeted. Search for it on the 'net if you don't believe me.

Yup, IIRC wasn't it something like a drop of 85%?

So dose this mean the staff in 7/11 won't look at me like I just took a s*** in there kettle when I say don't worry about putting my 250ML bottle of sprite in a plastic bag ?

I doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I'm genuinely impressed 7 Eleven have done this. I made an earlier post in this thread about it.

Where was the 7 Eleven?

8 hours ago, Surfin CEO said:

Another joke by the powers that be in Thailand,  Waste of time,  Just STOP USING PLASTIC. PERIOD!

Over ten years ago Hawaii, USA stopped using plastic bags. You never see them anymore.

We go grocery shopping with a reusable canvas bag brought from home.

WAKE UP THAILAND!

I have never been to Hawaii but after years in Thailand, I can tell that the local people do not much plan their shopping. When they feel hungry, they stop to buy a lunch. When they need to wash a shirt and need a bag of detergent and notice that no-have-detergent-at-home, they go to the closest 7/11 and buy a small bag of detergent. And so on.

Thais also like being served, the poor and the rich alike. It makes them feel important when the cashier puts or wraps their purchases in plastic bags, preferably only a couple of items a bag, as many bags as possible, heavy items like a 6-pack of beer in double or treble bags. I can not see much chance they would do anything to give up this practice voluntarily.

Thais generally also love animals and recently they mourned over the fate of a whale with its stomach full of plastic,

Yet that mourning lasts only until the next shocking news on Facebook, and they can not see any connection with their personal choices as consumers and the terrible state of the seas.

I'm genuinely impressed 7 Eleven have done this. I made an earlier post in this thread about it.
Where was the 7 Eleven?

why don't they train there staff to only put small items in a bag if the customer ask for one then I will be impressed.

This poster is just ridiculous unless they change there policy on plastic bags.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Archived