Khao San Road D-Day! Transformation set for August 1st

webfact

Khao San Road D-Day! Transformation set for August 1st

KSan.jpg

Khao San Road //File photo

The deputy governor of Bangkok has said that Khao Sarn Road and its surrounding area is an accident waiting to happen.

The area is so cluttered with vendors, sidewalk booze shops and traders of all description that should emergency vehicles need to get through there would be a major problem.

Following a crisis meeting on Monday it has been decided to clear the vendors out.

An alternative area will be zoned off - a tented area has been suggested.

And an emergency lane is going to be set up to allow access for ambulances, fire engines and the like.

Deputy governor Sakonthee Pattiyakun said that he and his teams had surveyed the Khao Sarn, Rambutree, Sipsamhaeng, Tanao Road and sub-sois over a period of two to three weeks.

Everything was fine by day but as soon as the sun went down the area was a confused mess, Sakonthee told Matichon.

Above all else it represented a danger in an emergency.

He set August 1st as the day for a new beginning for the area.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-19

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, webfact said:

The deputy governor of Bangkok has said that Khao Sarn Road and its surrounding area is an accident waiting to happen.

Just about everywhere in Thailand is an "accident waiting to happen"; particularly those areas frequented by tourists. Safety is not high on the priority list as exampled by the new world record in road deaths. Military juntas are not recognised for their humanitarian qualities.

That's not to say some other countries, even without military generals running them, don't face similar problems. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Everything was fine by day but as soon as the sun went down the area was a confused mess,

"When you clean up the city, you kill it,"  Bukowski. A sanitised Khao San? Won't that be attractive. If truth be told by day it's pretty boring, half its charm is the night-time chaos.

9 minutes ago, nausea said:

"When you clean up the city, you kill it,"  Bukowski. A sanitised Khao San? Won't that be attractive. If truth be told by day it's pretty boring, half its charm is the night-time chaos.

Yes i think you are right,when they cleaned up the sidewalks around

Sukumvith the charme and romance went with it.

There should(could) be a balance to keep it attractive.

Why would you even want to go here? Unless you want to pay twice the price for all the usual Thai food items, or watch a bunch of clueless backpackers wandering about, all of them thinking that they have discovered nirvana. 

Its on the tourist visit list, they will lose revenue. Singapore had Bugis street 1950 to 1980, admittedly a little more on the wild side, they decided to clean it up. After demolition the original Bugis street, they woke up and realised how big a tourist attraction it actually was. 

all these policies over the last four years to clear out vendors from public spaces are subject to what I call the "weed effect".

looks good right after you clear the yard, but the weeds slowly grow back.

54 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Maybe Thailand can set up a committee to look into ways of  becoming the hub of d-days.

That sounds like a good idea. The PM is a shoo-in to get the Chairmanship. 

next stop soi 4 NANA , PLEASE,  get rid of vendors and those bloody scooters virtually making it a one way street now. having to walk in the road as pavements blocked, and buses travelling up it to go to various tourists hotels make it very dangerous.  

7 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

next stop soi 4 NANA , PLEASE,  get rid of vendors and those bloody scooters virtually making it a one way street now. having to walk in the road as pavements blocked, and buses travelling up it to go to various tourists hotels make it very dangerous.  

Kosan Rd needs to be left alone, even though it is not my cup of tea.

Sorry I fully disagree with you. The circus needs to stay and hermits need to stay in their shells. I visit Nana several times a year, go there sit to drink beer and watch all the freaks walking around. I have taken many o people visiting from the US business and tourists and they all love it. I have been enjoying that area and place for over 26+ years now. So, if you live in that vicinity or stay when you are on holiday coming here, then I suggest pick a nice quiet dull area to go to and stop picking on a sanctuary area.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Sorry I fully disagree with you. The circus needs to stay and hermits need to stay in their shells. I visit Nana several times a year, go there sit to drink beer and watch all the freaks walking around. I have taken many o people visiting from the US business and tourists and they all love it. I have been enjoying that area and place for over 26+ years now. So, if you live in that vicinity or stay when you are on holiday coming here, then I suggest pick a nice quiet dull area to go to and stop picking on a sanctuary area.

I totally agree with your view!

Continued destruction of micro-entrepreneurs and the 'traditional' Thailand.
You can see where this is going.

Now, lets all dress up in Lakhon period-dress and Smile, Smile, Smile.

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Why would you even want to go here? Unless you want to pay twice the price for all the usual Thai food items, or watch a bunch of clueless backpackers wandering about, all of them thinking that they have discovered nirvana. 

I think you in part answered your own question ?  Newbie backpackers often don't compare prices of what available elsewhere in country, but rather "It's sooo much cheaper than at home!" Yep, they are clueless, being newbies and all... at least there was no internet back when I started coming, so I somewhat had an excuse... there was no Khao San action either. Most was up by Malaysia Hotel... I think there is also factor of "I want to go to Thailand so I can say I went, but I want to hang around with people just like back home".

6 hours ago, webfact said:

And an emergency lane is going to be set up to allow access for ambulances, fire engines and the like.

That's a joke and it is not even funny. How about a ban for all idiots on motorbikes and delivery trucks during sales hours at all markets?

f2c24709-5196-4088-bddc-e8ca5bc08eed_zps

Close Khao San and some other vendor-busy roads for all traffic, including taxis. Make those streets walking streets. Problem solved. Referring to the waste problem. All foodstuff could be wrapped in Banana leafs, or paper bags made out of recycled paper, whilst soup could be served in bowls of china or melamin on site. Where there is a will, there is a way.

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Go up Soi 6 and you will come out further up Soi 4 and bypass all the traffic and naughty girls. A few quieter bars in Soi 6 next to Soi 4 that are very nice. The rule is, if you don't like it, don't go there !  Bangkok is a huge city.

Tourists used to come to Thailand because it was exotic.  Now Bangkok looks like New York or London-  million dollar condo;s' English and Irish Pubs- over priced Western Food.

The Government has chased away all the fun from Sukhumvit Road- now they are starting on Khao San Road which is an institution.  While it's not a place  I would go- plenty of tourists do go there and many Thai vendors make a living there.

Instead of bothering  torists and vendors- how about doing something about the horrendous traffic on Sukhumvit by making the police do their job;  how about making the Taxi's actually stop and take passengers to their destination the first time; how about making the BTS add extra cars to the trains- make them provide elevators/escalators at all stations immediately and the BTS to  run on time.

31 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Go up Soi 6 and you will come out further up Soi 4 and bypass all the traffic and naughty girls. A few quieter bars in Soi 6 next to Soi 4 that are very nice. The rule is, if you don't like it, don't go there !  Bangkok is a huge city.

I guess you're not talking to me as I love that area. Soi 6 is the old famous Crown Hotel where it has the bend turn. Can even cut through there to Soi 8. Now back in the day this was a zoo hotel. Now is called the Sukhumvit S6. Still has the same old now old old great sweet tough Thai lady who owns it too. 

Archived