‘Crocodile-like’ creature spotted swimming at Yanui Beach

webfact

‘Crocodile-like’ creature spotted swimming at Yanui Beach

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

37399852_10212364313368488_4644000132591

Something officials are describing as a ‘crocodile’ was spotted off the coast at Yanui Beach, just south of Nai Harn beach, yesterday. The witness who first saw it claims the crocodile was chasing him but that he managed to escape.

Chalong Police were notified of the incident around 4.30pm. Officers from the Marine Endangered Species Unit at the Phuket Marine Biological Centre (PMBC) were called to the beach to investigate the claims.

30 metres from the shore they could see something similar to a crocodile bobbing up and down in the water. Tourists had already heeded the warnings and gotten out of the water. It later disappeared but locals have recorded a video of it.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/crocodile-like-creature-spotted-swimming-at-yanui-beach

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-19

Rawai Mayor confirms 3 metre crocodile off Nai Harn beach

By  Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__18866181.jpg

Red flags have been put up on Nai Harn and Yanui Beaches to warn tourists of a crocodile in the water.

Locals and Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos have been patrolling the southern beaches trying to locate the crocodile that was first reported yesterday morning by a local fisherman.

Mayor Aroon says, “I can confirm that there is a crocodile which is three metres long. This crocodile has been spotted lying on Nai Harn Beach about three times. Every time someone spots it and tries to get closer for a photo it scampers into the sea.”

Full story:  https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/rawai-mayor-confirms-3-metre-crocodile-off-nai-harn-beach

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-19

I've seen scores of crocodiles in the wild, salties and freshwater crocs, and even swum in the same water.

Not the best video, but I'm sure that is a crocodile, not a monitor. It's definitely not 3 meters, more like 2 and appears malnourished. There's a big difference in bulk and danger levels between 2 and 3 meters. To follow someone in as reported, indicates it may be hungry and therefore dangerous. It can still inflict a nasty injury at that size.

The size and shape of the head indicates it's not a saltie, more likely the Thai species. 

3 hours ago, Tradewind777 said:

I’ve seen plenty of crocs including salties and that ain’t no croc. Furthermore if you were in the water with one you or even Thorpedo himself would NEVER outswin it unless it was very sick or crippled.

What is it then Steve Irwin 

We went down to Yanui to watch the sunset last evening and the one lifeguard and someone from the Or Bor Tor's office was telling people not to go in the water. I didn't see anything. The guy told us in was up in the rocks between the point on Nai Harn. He also said it looked malnourished. After the sunset, the police came by and told people to stay out of the water. So it seems like the local officials are taking it seriously.

Archived