Help pours in for Prachin Buri family after teacher’s Facebook post

webfact

Help pours in for Prachin Buri family after teacher’s Facebook post

By The Nation 
Prachin Buri

pra.jpg

FILE photo//Google maps

A teacher who makes a habit of visiting the families of her students was appalled to find one of them living in a makeshift house with no door or windows and a leaking roof, and decided to seek the help of the public by posting their plight on Facebook.

The post by Nisachol Yosrungruang, who teaches first grade at Ban Bu Sung School in Prachin Buri’s Na Dee district, sparked an immediate response, with local government agencies visiting the family to offer help and some members of the public sending assistance via the teacher.

Nisachol aid she recently made a routine visit to the house of Walalak Boonprasit at her house in Ban Khao Rung village and was horrified by the living conditions.

Walalak lives in a makeshift house with her Thai father, Wichian Boonprasit, Cambodian mother, Serroi Rom, and her younger sister.

The “house” is a single room without electricity or a toilet. The walls are galvanized iron sheets and the galvanized iron roof is rusty with plenty of holes.

The teacher added that the house has no front door and she feared for the safety of the two girls as they had to stay alone after school until their parents returned from any odd jobs they could find. Recent heavy rains soaked the family, with the water coming in through the roof and the open front.

Since the family has no toilet, they depend on help from neighbours. And without electricity, they are forced to cook on a traditional stove.

After their plight was made public, some people wired money to the teacher to give to the family.

On Thursday, Boonchob Kongchanda, president of Tambon Na Dee Administrative Organization, visited the family and promised to help.

Meanwhile, Kiartisak Thassakorn, director of the Ban Bu Sung School, said the school wold grant scholarships to the two girls and give them school uniforms and free lunches. He said the school would be willing to receive and manage public donations for the family.

Also Thursday, Na Dee district chief Noppadol Ngamlua said he has been contacted by the Wat Kaew Fa Rungsi to offer planks for district officials to build a new house for the family.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30350382

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-19

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

The Thai elite needs to step up and eliminate this rampant abject poverty no need for it anywhere.

Agree 100% but they won't and likely never will. I've lived all over SE Asia and the rich in every country where the poor live in these squalid conditions only care about one thing - themselves.

27 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

Agree 100% but they won't and likely never will. I've lived all over SE Asia and the rich in every country where the poor live in these squalid conditions only care about one thing - themselves.

That's why the poor get poorer and the rich even wealthier.

Not only in Thailand...

Warren Buffet: "My friends and I have been coddled long enough by a billionaire-friendly Congress. It’s time for our government to get serious about shared sacrifice." - Stop Coddling the Super-Rich, New York Times 14. August 2011

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

The Thai elite needs to step up and eliminate this rampant abject poverty no need for it anywhere.

I have never seen any concern by the Thai elite for those in difficult circumstances. This is common in most countries where there is great inequality. Even in enlightened western countries, compassion only goes so far. Poverty is a great motivator from the perspective of wealthy industrialists.

17 minutes ago, maximillian said:

That's why the poor get poorer and the rich even wealthier.

Not only in Thailand...

Warren Buffet: "My friends and I have been coddled long enough by a billionaire-friendly Congress. It’s time for our government to get serious about shared sacrifice." - Stop Coddling the Super-Rich, New York Times 14. August 2011

Warren Buffett is certainly to be admired for his stance. I don't think it is common and I think that others with Buffett's wealth would do anything they could to prevent such "shared sacrifice".

2 hours ago, freebyrd said:

Don't you agree the rich in the west have, generally, the same mentality?

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

I'm sure they do, going to work with my old man in the 60's I did see some rough stuff but I've never seen poverty in England the way I have in Asia.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:24 PM, hansnl said:

Yep. Same worldwide. An exploitation-economy and social hierarchy. The West is busy eradicating the middle class right now, there will be a lot more people living in tin shacks soon, being told we've never had it so good. ?

I can't agree with you on that score. As a kid in the 60's I accompanied my old man on his 'rounds', he worked for the RSPCA and it often took him into the poorest of poor neighbourhoods. I've lived in Hong Kong, Thailand, China, Vietnam, Philippines and Cambodia and the poverty in those countries far surpasses the UK, even 50 years later.

Archived