Thousands of Myanmar people could be living in Thailand with fake visas

webfact

Thousands of Myanmar people could be living in Thailand with fake visas

10PM.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A major scandal is brewing that suggests that the issuing of fake visas for Thailand in neighboring Myanmar is widespread.

Two men were arrested in Ayuthaya on Tuesday while attempting to extend their visas.

They were found to have bogus stamps but this was news to them. They said they had got the visas at the Thai embassy in Yangon and paid 6,000 baht for the stamps.

Meanwhile a local immigration chief in Mae Sot in Thailand's north west has said that 69 Myanmar nationals have been found to have fake visas since June 27th in his area.

In another case a husband and wife who applied for visas at the same time were found to have one fake and one genuine visa.

The Thai authorities in Yangon are urgently in contact with the Thai foreign office to try and get to the bottom of what is going on.

The fake visas are not thought to just having been issued in Yangon - it looks as though they are being issued throughout the country.

Some estimates put the number of Myanmar nationals arriving on fake visas in Thailand as high as 20,000 people in the last three months, reported Thai Rath.

In our picture today a stamp shows a spelling mistake with the word utilized spelled "ulilized".

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-19

What an awful crime. This could totally undermine national security and result in an even bigger number of cheap labourers being available for dirty jobs at cheap pay. This corruption is taking money right out of the hands of the corrupt immigration officers who badly need new Fortuners.

26 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

What an awful crime. This could totally undermine national security and result in an even bigger number of cheap labourers being available for dirty jobs at cheap pay. This corruption is taking money right out of the hands of the corrupt immigration officers who badly need new Fortuners.

Actually, you're right, with respects to national security and undermining it. If the stamps have been made/fabricated, then theoretically anyone can be stamped in for the right price.

I think the problem becomes, or has potential to become a pretty serious issue.

I think none really know how many thousands of fake visas were issued in Thailand to western foreigners, "retirement visas, marriage visas, E visas and much more", many of the visa runs are illegal so is the visas from those peoples illegal too. That will be a real Big job for Big Joke!

3 minutes ago, tandor said:

..high time they issued new stamps and changed the colour every so often.

Please stop that sort of sensible suggestion. They deliberately don't what you suggest so that corrupt Immigration Officers can continue on their merry way doing what they do so well.

Why should Immigration people miss out when most other regulatory civil servants are busy using their respective systems to expand their income streams? It's just not fair to single out Immigration and prevent them doing the same.

Some of them are here with real visas and assistance from local employers. My girlfriend works at a restaurant and baker where the owner brings workers in from Myanmar and provides them with help getting visas and work permits so they can pay them below the minimum wage. My GF said this was "normal".  What on EARTH is going on??

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

Actually, you're right, with respects to national security and undermining it. If the stamps have been made/fabricated, then theoretically anyone can be stamped in for the right price.

I think the problem becomes, or has potential to become a pretty serious issue.

Actually until today i was thinking that the Visa number provides some type of security, because such a stamp is obviously easy to fake (but actually only my very first Thai visa was a stamp, after this i got the stickers)

I expected a system like that the embassy or consulate gets certain random Visa numbers from an authority in Thailand to use for their Visas. And when somebody enters the country it would be easy to check if the Visa number actually matches a number which the issuing embassy/consulate got and if it had not been used before. But it seems like they don't have such a system...

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

(...) (but actually only my very first Thai visa was a stamp, after this i got the stickers) (...)

Don't they use visa stickers at the Thai embassy in Yangon? I would imagine that faking a visa sticker is much harder than a simple stamp. Would be easy to spot the fakes if they only used stickers...

Nice ,not so little earner for someone,6,000 Tbt a pop,

and 1000's fake visas,and all you need is a rubber stamp.

regards worgeordie

P.S. I dont think for one minute the Burmese would be 

believed they obtained the Visa at Rangoon Thai Embassy,

that could never happen.....right.

3 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Time to record every passport and visa on computer and equip border crossings with readers to check. I know that’s too simple.

Wouldn't be that simple especially here. That's a huge job.

38 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Just another Fake to add to the list / Fake visa's/ fake smiles /fake drivers/ fake car licenses  and last but not least Fake government  Fake is a  popular word here

Your right,  there's  a lot of Fakers in Thailand. :smile:

I would be seriously concerned with this discovery, especially if the majority of these Myanmar nationals are possibly from Rakhine. They could be potential threats to global security and not only national security. Hmmm... If the military were suddenly forced on red alert to check every id and hold a major consensus of every household in Thailand, it would cause a major disaster. With 500,000 soldiers on active duty, I am sure they will be able to manage this within a few weeks.

What happened to the good old days of yearly national consensus in order to verify status and nationality of every person in a country?..

Perhaps time to verify to existence of Raccoon City as perhaps not so far fetched after all? Some sort of virus related to this issue, perhaps of a sand fly sort?  

Archived