Belgium man, 39, dies in high speed Phuket motorbike crash

snoop1130

Belgium man, 39, dies in high speed Phuket motorbike crash

image.jpg

Police and forensic officers inspect the scene of the accident on Viset Rd in Rawai. Photo: Screengrab via Chalong News

PHUKET:-- A 39-year-old Belgium man died this morning after he crashed his motorbike at high speed in Rawai.

Police have confirmed that no crash helmet was found at the scene.

At 6am today (July 19), Lt Col Thada Sodarak of the Chalong Police was notified that a man had died in a motorbike accident in front of the Chalong Underpass construction office on Viset Rd in Rawai.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/belgium-man-39-dies-in-high-speed-phuket-motorbike-crash-67948.php#F0CBd80tSmmGL40o.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-7-19

They say the area is notorious for “accidents”. That means the police patrol it regularly and the department of highways are studying how to make it safer and inplement traffic calming measures, right?

Whoops, forgot where I was for a minute!

53 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

They say the area is notorious for “accidents”. That means the police patrol it regularly and the department of highways are studying how to make it safer and inplement traffic calming measures, right?

Whoops, forgot where I was for a minute!

Right!

In recent years they have added guard rails and a center divider along that stretch.

The road is intrinsically dangerous for some because it goes over a hill and then curves to  the right. 

The road is commonly used by revelers leaving the popular Rawai entertainment district. Most serious accidents there seem to involve single vehicles, usually motorbikes, and occur in the early hours.  Speed, alcohol and lack of helmets are often a factor. Some will find a way to come to grief no matter how safe a road is.

ooo.JPG

14 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Right!

In recent years they have added guard rails and a center divider along that stretch.

The road is intrinsically dangerous for some because it goes over a hill and then curves to  the right. 

The road is commonly used by revelers leaving the popular Rawai entertainment district. Most serious accidents there seem to involve single vehicles, usually motorbikes, and occur in the early hours.  Speed, alcohol and lack of helmets are often a factor. Some will find a way to come to grief no matter how safe a road is.

ooo.JPG

A recipe for disaster. Thank you for the information.

47 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Right!

ooo.JPG

And I'm sure he was keeping within the 50kph speed limit indicated - not. He probably thought the sign was there for decoration.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And I'm sure he was keeping within the 50kph speed limit indicated - not. He probably thought the sign was there for decoration.

He would have been right.

Even Phuket authorities admitted they have put up signs that are incorrect.

This individual had a bank card. I presume that a contact with the bank would provide complete identification. Why all the effort to describe in detail every tattoo on his torso? Did it advertise a local tattoo shop?

1 hour ago, oldrunner said:

This individual had a bank card. I presume that a contact with the bank would provide complete identification. Why all the effort to describe in detail every tattoo on his torso? Did it advertise a local tattoo shop?

About the only things they missed out were the colour of his eyes and hair.

1 hour ago, oldrunner said:

seeing as they know his nationality and have informed his embassy i would assume they know his identity

i used to have house a little ways behind that bus on the pic.

i saw more dead bodies from stupid accidents in phuket than anywhere else. i saw one thai guy pull out and go backwards up the street ultra slow but as he turned he hit a little hole lost balance and hit the ground. the guy was barely moving and hit his head on the ground and was basically dead instantly feom what i could see. doesnt always need to be speeding related to be deadly but sadly when i used to live there i was kneescraping and wheeling corner to corner daily doing full rounds of the island. thankfully ive grown up a lil.

I had a bike accident last month when a Thai man did a u turn on his bike without looking. I was knocked out cold but the helmet saved my life 100%. I'm so thankful.

I was launched over the handlebars and somersault onto my back smashing my head on the road.
The Thai guy helped me up but ran away before the police arrived, as usual but police tracked him down.

Moral of my story is wear a helmet always. No exception. I wouldn't be here today without one. line_1529047133247.jpeg

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Archived