Google Maps rolls out Motorcycle mode for users in Thailand

snoop1130

Google Maps rolls out Motorcycle mode for users in Thailand

Thailand_motobike_mode.max-1000x1000.png

Google has added a new feature to Google Maps aimed specifically at motorcyclists.

The new ‘motorcycle mode’ was made available to Google Maps users in Thailand on Wednesday.

The new mode will tell users which routes to avoid or are restricted to motorcyclists, as well as providing more accurate travel times specific for motorcycles.

Until now, Google Maps only gave motorcyclists the same directions as car drivers.

But the new motorcycle mode is tailored to motorbikes and scooters.

“There are 20 million motorbike owners in Thailand and anyone who rides a motorbike knows that they move at different speeds to the rest of the traffic,” Google said in a blog post.

“But until today, Google Maps gave bikers in Thailand the same directions as car drivers.

“Our new motorbike mode in Google Maps is designed to offer directions tailored to the needs of motorbikes and scooters, including shortcuts and narrow roads that only motorbikes can travel on as well as more accurate travel times”.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-7-19

this would be useful if Google knows which bridges in Bangkok you can cross on a motorcycle.

running a quick test between auto vs. motorcycle, it does change the route I use to go into Bangkok to cross a different bridge for a motorcycle. it is not the bridge I normally use and know is OK so can't be sure.

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“There are 20 million motorbike owners in Thailand and anyone who rides a motorbike knows that they move at different speeds to the rest of the traffic,” Google said in a blog post.

Perhaps that should be re-written to something like this:

“There are 20 million motorbike owners in Thailand and anyone who rides a motorbike should keep their <deleted>' eyes on the road and traffic and not on their smartphones, hands free or not."

Would give everyone a better chance IMO.....................:thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Is this related to something free Google is giving which you eventually have to buy.

You even can't download the maps from Google to use offline in Thailand, i always thought they did that to punish thailand for using illegal software.

I would like to try this motocy map, hope it works offline.

39 minutes ago, Thian said:

You even can't download the maps from Google to use offline in Thailand, i always thought they did that to punish thailand for using illegal software.

I would like to try this motocy map, hope it works offline.

I have downloaded maps for bkk and pattaya on my phone

Try it again if you haven't tried lately

10 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Perhaps that should be re-written to something like this:

“There are 20 million motorbike owners in Thailand and anyone who rides a motorbike should keep their <deleted>' eyes on the road and traffic and not on their smartphones, hands free or not."

Would give everyone a better chance IMO.....................:thumbsup:

That is your opinion, i had one crash on my motorbike that was when i first came here and i did not know the roads in my inexperience i was looking at where to go and traffic at the same time. Missing my turnoff and getting a bit nervous i tried to make it anyway and got hit from behind by a speeding truck (mc total.. me no scratch). Now later I used GPS on my motorbike and guess what i found it far easier to drive not having to worry about directions. 

I think we are all different, maybe I am just too nervous when I don't know where i need to go. I react the same way when I don't have GPS in my car. 

Actually I had a big bike too, i sold it because it was hard to navigate as you could not go everywhere and GPS would send you often the wrong way (where you were not allowed)

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this would be useful if Google knows which bridges in Bangkok you can cross on a motorcycle.

running a quick test between auto vs. motorcycle, it does change the route I use to go into Bangkok to cross a different bridge for a motorcycle. it is not the bridge I normally use and know is OK so can't be sure.

In Bangkok Motorcycles are forbidden on Flyovers.

Just now, henry15 said:

In Bangkok Motorcycles are forbidden on Flyovers.

Not all.. just some and it is sometimes totally random, there is a flyover you can take one way.. but the same flyover you can't take the other way around. Its totally crazy.

For the first time i am able to download Thailand map in google maps. I can not see any option for motorbike in the version i updated today. Riding motorbike in bangkok with google maps is very frustrating and i did meet many warning signs that motorcycle is not allowed that made the google maps almost impossible to navigate me to the target. I love to try out motorbike mode. I will also buy a new phone with dual Gps frequency that has 30 cm accuracy as soon as i can. Bangkok is a hell for GPS when there is many lanes, bridges and roads. Wasted so much time to many times because of this.

On 7/19/2018 at 9:28 AM, Ks45672 said:

I have downloaded maps for bkk and pattaya on my phone

Try it again if you haven't tried lately

I think you can download city maps for offline use, but not regional ones.

I don't like that Google tracks me everywhere though.

I use MAPS.ME  for most of my travel because you can download whole countries at a time.

I can't always find locations on maps.me as I can on Google so I search on Google and then cut'n'paste the target coordinates into maps.me for actual use, and save them there for future use.

Archived