Pattaya cabbies demand higher minimum charge

snoop1130

4 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

You must have access to a different Grab app that I have in Pattaya because I find the pricing within 10 percent of the real taxi mafia pricing.  

with a name like Grab, what do you expect?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/19/2018 at 2:39 PM, Jingthing said:

What sort of Cloud Cuckoo Fantasy land are they living in?

The drivers here do not use the meters!!!!!

yes, I was also wondering that

why they ask for a higher start rate - the meter is not used at all

4 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

Isn't this a Catch 22 where IF the taxi drivers in Pattaya used meters they would be extremely busy with people using them all over.  

not sure about this,

but my guess is that if the cabbies in Pattaya and surroundings and in Patong and surroundings

used the meter with BKK rates they would be mega-busy with customers all day

same with all the tuk-tuks in Patong and around - charge sensible rates and you would  drown in business

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, tomas557 said:

It's a vicious circle.

There are much less taxis in Pattaya than in Bangkok, so they will have a higher chance to find a return fare, if they are reasonable priced.

The problem is that they don't use the meter, someone on say Nerm Plubwan will not flag them down, because he know they probably ask 200 Baht or more to Pattaya centre.

If they used the meter that would more something like 60 Baht, and there would be more people interested to flag a passing taxi.

Baht 60- while a liter gas cost baht 30-.

Big profit huh.

12 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

There is no issue in BKK.  At the most a BKK taxi driver may ask me for 100 baht because he has to drive into an area like Sukhumvit during rush hour.  In most cases he is asking around 20-40 baht extra than a taxi who used a meter.  imo that is acceptable.  This thread is regarding Pattaya and I'm sure VERY FEW people here have good things to say about Pattaya taxi drivers who haven't turned on a meter for years, if ever.

That's not my experience in Bangkok. Maybe you need to know the ropes, but as an infrequent visitor to BKK I've found it difficult to get taxis to use meters in the popular tourist areas.  

2 minutes ago, lucifer666 said:

'i'm sure i read , this very same post 13 years ago

I'm sure you didn't. Taxi meters were introduced to Pattaya sometime late in the last decade. Maybe someone can remember the year, but my best guess is about 2008 or 2009.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

That's not my experience in Bangkok. Maybe you need to know the ropes, but as an infrequent visitor to BKK I've found it difficult to get taxis to use meters in the popular tourist areas.  

You just ask/tell the driver to put on the metre as you get in! Ih de doesn't then you get out.

3 hours ago, The manic said:

You just ask/tell the driver to put on the metre as you get in! Ih de doesn't then you get out.

That's a problem that I have encountered many times. My reply was in response to a statement suggesting that problems with taxis in BKK are rare. Actually, I never encounter problems with Pattaya taxis because I NEVER use them LOL.

On 7/20/2018 at 6:44 AM, alfalfa19 said:

the point is moot, for they never use the meters.  <deleted> are they talking about? 

They should all be charged under the Trades Descriptions Act and be forced to remove that obsolete sign off the top! :cheesy: 

3 hours ago, essox essox said:

most taxis use LPG which is about 9 baht per litre.....

I still wouldn't personally like to be doing Pattaya to the airport runs with no return fare, for 1100 baht.

Gas, petrol, or hybrid. 

It's still a cheap ride.

19 hours ago, tropo said:

That's a problem that I have encountered many times. My reply was in response to a statement suggesting that problems with taxis in BKK are rare. Actually, I never encounter problems with Pattaya taxis because I NEVER use them LOL.

I never use Pattaya taxes. In Bangkok I rarely have problems with taxis. Most just put on the metre. Some driver are on their last shift so want a fare that takes them in a homeward bound direction. Some, parked by hotels may be a bit dodgy. But on the I find Bangkok taxis Very Good. I remember back in 80s/90s before metres were enforced in Bangkok. It was awful. Much better now.

43 minutes ago, The manic said:

I remember back in 80s/90s before metres were enforced in Bangkok. It was awful. Much better now.

Pattaya makes claims it is on its way to being a first class destination city.  Pretty sure there is no other first class destination city in the world where price gauging and scams by taxi drivers is commonplace. All major cities I have ever been to use taxi meters or Uber.

17 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Pattaya makes claims it is on its way to being a first class destination city.  Pretty sure there is no other first class destination city in the world where price gauging and scams by taxi drivers is commonplace. All major cities I have ever been to use taxi meters or Uber.

I think I posted a very similar thing many years ago. They want a relatively easy major upgrade of this city -- JUST FIX THAT. As in REALLY.

But they never do and most people here have learned to expect that they NEVER will. All the little temporary "crackdowns"  or "meetings and discussions" are basically jokes.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think I posted a very similar thing many years ago. They want a relatively easy major upgrade of this city -- JUST FIX THAT. As in REALLY.

But they never do and most people here have learned to expect that they NEVER will. All the little temporary "crackdowns"  or "meetings and discussions" are basically jokes.

That's why I gave the following extract a big "YAWN"!

"There had been complaints, including from foreigners, about drivers refusing to use the taxi meter and charging large amounts for short distances"

In between the words  "been" and "complaints" the journalist who wrote this article should have inserted the words "the usual customary"! And the words "including from foreigners" says it all!

19 hours ago, The manic said:

I never use Pattaya taxes. In Bangkok I rarely have problems with taxis. Most just put on the metre. Some driver are on their last shift so want a fare that takes them in a homeward bound direction. Some, parked by hotels may be a bit dodgy. But on the I find Bangkok taxis Very Good. I remember back in 80s/90s before metres were enforced in Bangkok. It was awful. Much better now.

Generally agree but rule of thumb from my experience in bkk, if the taxi is parked you will be negotiating whether to use meter or set price, if the taxi is driving around it is almost always the meter if they agree to take you. Even if you have to negotiate if you can speak even a little Thai the fare is reasonable.

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

An 8 hour taxi ride in Australia would cost about 800 dollars. My 8 hour flight to Thailand is 400 dollars.

Yeah,  go on, give em a raise.

A raise from what!?!

The PATTAYA taxi FAKE meters don't use their meters in the first place.

This discussion is truly absurd. 

On 7/23/2018 at 2:00 PM, Jingthing said:

A raise from what!?!

The PATTAYA taxi FAKE meters don't use their meters in the first place.

This discussion is truly absurd. 

I agree. Only those Government officials responsible for taxi service providers have any power to approve an increase in what in Australia we call the flag fall amount of money - 35 baht in BKK.
As I said here previously, if taxi drivers in Pattaya are refusing to use the meters in their cabs, they are clearly breaking the law and the whole lot of the bastards who refuse should be prosecuted. But, of course, this is Thailand, where there is essentially no rule of law, or where the rule of law can be circumvented by being paid off.
Are there buses in Pattaya? Are they not convenient? If there are buses that run major routes, why not use buses and cut the taxi thieves out altogether?
I have no personal experience of taxi drivers in Pattaya. I've only been there once, stayed in Jomtien and walked everywhere I needed to go.
I do have experience of taxi drivers in BKK though. Not a happy experience there either with drivers routinely refusing ride requests but almost always ok with using the taxi meter in my experience.
If it is an option, cut the taxi drivers in Pattaya out altogether. Ride sharing might be a good idea. One person with a car agrees to take friends to supermarkets etc and people share a fee for this. Walk as much as possible to where you need to go. I admit that Pattaya is quite large and this would be difficult or impossible for many.
The bottom line. If taxi drivers in Pattaya are the dishonest thieves that they appear to be, don't use them. Find other ways to get around. Buy a cheap motorcycle or a small car. Put the taxi bastards out of business. They deserve it.

I would think higher minimum charges is the throw away line of the week. 

They spout a figure off the top of their heads, sometimes I think to put you off, so they can get back to sleeping. 

If they dont use the meters anyway what does it matter.?

21 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

I would think higher minimum charges is the throw away line of the week. 

They spout a figure off the top of their heads, sometimes I think to put you off, so they can get back to sleeping. 

It matters because they are required by law:
1  to accept fares and don't have the option to refuse without good reason, and
2  they are required by law to use the meter in the cab.
That's why

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

You clearly are richer than I am or maybe I'm just frugal.  I personally don't enjoy paying 200 baht for going a few blocks.  It is required by all if you buy something large that will not fit on a motorbike, not that it stops Thai people from loading a large palm tree or a refrigerator on a motorbike.

47 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

You clearly are richer than I am or maybe I'm just frugal.  I personally don't enjoy paying 200 baht for going a few blocks.  It is required by all if you buy something large that will not fit on a motorbike, not that it stops Thai people from loading a large palm tree or a refrigerator on a motorbike.

Or sitting granny on a plastic chair in the fabricated cage they attach. lol.

I wasnt saying that I use them.

I was saying that its a throw away type request by the cab drivers.

Because they hardly ever use the meters. 

So why ask for a base fare increase?.

Archived