Culture Ministry aims to set up committee for ‘Wild Boars’ movie

snoop1130

Culture Ministry aims to set up committee for ‘Wild Boars’ movie

By The Nation

e2c834f64b629293bb078a6a7875ac02-sld.jpeg

The Culture Ministry is to propose setting up a special film board committee to oversee the production of a “Wild Boars” movie at the next mobile Cabinet meeting on July 24 in Ubol Rachathani, Culture Minister Vira Rojpojchanarat said on Thursday.

The prompt action follows the high demand from Hollywood production companies who want to make a movie about the marathon cave rescue operation of the Mu Pa (Wild Boars) Academy football club and its coach who were trapped in flooded Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai. 

“Five international film production companies have proposed to the Commerce and Foreign ministries that they make a movie and a documentary about the rescue operation,” Vira said at Government House.

Chaired by Wissanu Krua-gnam, the National Film Broad agreed to set up a special film board committee to oversee the filming. The committee will include officials from the Culture, Commerce and Tourism and Sport ministries. 

“The committees will be concerned about the accuracy of the story, the rights of the [team], the rescuers and other related agencies, as well as the image of Thailand. They will also be concerned about the impact of film production to the film locations,” Vira said.

“We are pleased to support both Thai and international film productions to make a movie and documentary on “Mu Pa” if they follow Thai laws,” Vira said.

The ministry did not reveal the name of the recent production companies that expressed interest. However, two American producers have been scouting Tham Laung for their potential movie – before the last five members of the team were rescued on July 10. 

Michael Scott, managing partner of Pure Flix films and co-producer Adam Smith have been conducting preliminary interviews around the cave site.

The Discovery Channel produced an hour-long documentary, titled “Operation Thai Rescue”, that will be aired in Thailand on July 23 at 8.55pm.

A similar project – “The 33” directed by Patricia Riggen – told the story of the 2010 mining disaster in Chile that trapped 33 miners for two months. Although it had a cast of Antonio Banderas, Josh Brolin and Juliette Binoche, the $26 million (Bt870 million) budget film made only $24.9 million at the box office worldwide.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30350435

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-19

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little sad that they are thinking about money making from it already. On the one hand they are telling the press to stay away from the boys so they can recover from their ordeal, while talking to Hollywood about a movie at the same time. I would have thought a prerequisite was asking the family of the boys and Saman Kunan their thoughts on the matter.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

The Culture Ministry is to propose setting up a special film board committee

Ahh....yet another Thai committee! I nominate PM Prayut as Chairman. That will ensure nothing ever comes of such a proposal.

Pure Flix films

Michael Scott, managing partner of Pure Flix films and co-producer Adam Smith have been conducting preliminary interviews around the cave site.

Some of their productions include:

1. God's Not Dead

2. God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness

3. God's Not Dead 2

4. Do You Believe?

Most of these movies are low ranking B grade budget movies. The boys deserve something better than this.

Opportunists at their very best. Typically, envelopes will decide if they get the contract.

4 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Some of their productions include:

1. God's Not Dead

2. God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness

3. God's Not Dead 2

4. Do You Believe?

Most of these movies are low ranking B grade budget movies. The boys deserve something better than this.

Opportunists at their very best. Typically, envelopes will decide if they get the contract.

The last thing you need is the god squad making a movie like this. I can see it now. Divers personified by Jesus and all the boys kissing their crucifix before diving out, following the heavenly light. Total betrayal of who they are and the bravery of the men who got them out. 

I don't believe for one second that prayer got them out and I definitely don't want to watch a movie that suggests it did.

" ... special film board committee to oversee the production of a “Wild Boars” movie ..."

They can call it "Domestic Swine Productions".  How many hogs at the trough, I mean committee members, will they have?

Movie rights of Tham Luang rescue become an issue

By Thai PBS

2018-07-19_22-33-09.jpg

The Ministry of Culture is mulling an idea of setting up a national ad hoc committee to handle the copyright of the information related to the Tham Luang cave rescue operations in the wake of  interest shown by several movie production houses to make films about what has come to be known as one of the world’s most dramatic rescue missions.

Culture Minister Veera Rotepojanarat said Thursday that five foreign movie production houses have shown keen interest in producing movies about the Tham Luang rescue operations. Three of them have approached the Foreign Ministry and the other two have contacted private agencies here, he said.

Thai movie producers have not yet made known their interest, he said, adding that the National Theatre Board had no objection to documentary or short movie projects based on the Tham Luang event as he believes distortion of the event by the producers is unlikely because the information about the rescue operations has already been disseminated worldwide.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/movie-rights-tham-luang-rescue-become-issue/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-20

If a major Hollywood company wants to make a movie you can bet they probably have all the story and footage they require already. No need to go on location, the outside area of Tham Luang caves can be filmed at a number of different locations not even in Thailand and the cave sequences can be built on a film lot.

Latest rumour is the culture ministry has already chosen the main characters for the film.

Lead role little p, main supporting actor Ole Fatty, 1 scene already deleted, Ole Fatty getting stuck in the narrow passage.:cheesy:

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

If a major Hollywood company wants to make a movie you can bet they probably have all the story and footage they require already. No need to go on location, the outside area of Tham Luang caves can be filmed at a number of different locations not even in Thailand and the cave sequences can be built on a film lot.

Yes I don't think Hollywood will be too keen on Thailand's suggestion or their desire to control the project. Hollywood would like to have the government's cooperation, but they certainly don't need it. They could make the whole movie in another country.

8 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

The last thing you need is the god squad making a movie like this. I can see it now. Divers personified by Jesus and all the boys kissing their crucifix before diving out, following the heavenly light.

Not to mention the 12+1, the last supper, the resurrection from the cave.

There'll probably be a knights of the templar subtheme with a search for some sort of holy grail, and new proof from Davinci that Jesus lived in Thailand. "Mu Pa and the Lost Talisman of Tham Luang" is set to be a massive moneyspinner, and everyone wants a piece of it... but on the upside it'll be mostly CGI and cost peanuts to make. 

9 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Ahh....yet another Thai committee! I nominate PM Prayut as Chairman. That will ensure nothing ever comes of such a proposal.

How can you say that? It's a well known fact that 'Thai committee' is an anagram of 'money-making opportunity'.

Although to be fair, I do suffer from 'daily sex', or that other anagram 'dyslexia'.

Here we go !!! Well it didn't take long to get the engines stoked up on the gravy train....

I watched the Discovery Channel 'documentary' the other night (I use that term lightly) and it started really well, with 'the boys were missed when they didn't show up for soccer practice the following morning....' so you may as well prepare yourselves for the opening line in the movie of 'based on true events...' , based meaning that it will actually be about as close to the truth as planet earth is to the sun.

As to a committee, well come on guys, this is the Thai way of sharing the bounties of Hollywood, or to be more specific ensuring that the sharing is divided appropriately amongst the right people. Fortunately as a poster has pointed out, Hollywood probably doesn't need anything from Thailand to make the film and as my ex-middle class-well educated-financially secure (she formed her own take it from me committee)-wife drolly pointed out (I've never said she's not sharp) they will use Indian (not native American type) boys to play the football team. This probably has more to do with acting ability..... however if the Thais do manage to swing a large persuasion over the film industry we can at least look forward to trumpets and whistles...

For me....the safety and protection of all life (particularly human) is paramount above all else in this universe. I am therefore overjoyed at the "cave" outcome. But I will admit, I have not read all the articles concerning the dramatic events, I have though been kept up to date by the Television coverage. The reason for my not following it more closely was because I felt certain that a certain word that has in recent times become much misused, would eventually be applied to the situation. Yesterday I heard it used on USA TV.....that word is "Hero/s". They were not referring to the rescuers....but to the people that needed rescuing?

When people get unnessarily stranded up mountains or lost in jungles it has become fashionable these days to call them hero's for surviving.

To me...a person who puts their life at risk to save another....is a hero.....Not the person who got rescued.

When I was a lad and climbed up a tree so high that I couldn't get back down and my dad had to get a ladder to get me down....he called me many names,..."Hero"...was not one of them.

9 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

The last thing you need is the god squad making a movie like this. I can see it now. Divers personified by Jesus and all the boys kissing their crucifix before diving out, following the heavenly light. Total betrayal of who they are and the bravery of the men who got them out. 

I don't believe for one second that prayer got them out and I definitely don't want to watch a movie that suggests it did.

Hahahaha, have you ever seen Harry Enfield before? If English you should know what I mean. He has a couple of characters called the righteous brothers (years ago),,, your comments remind me of them. check out the link. 

Anyway, seems this group thrives on people who just bash others, not 1 single story or item seems to escape them. I stopped using this so often for that very reason.

Anyway, what about the Buddhist and Muslim prayers? Many Muslims prayed for their safe return and of course so did the Buddhists. Can they include those in the film? 

If you want to portray the film accurately then these things need including, just because you think its a load of nonsense does not mean everyone does and I am sure they are not making the film just for you.

So, have an open mind and let people be fella.

I look forward to seeing the film,, now if some billionaire entrepreneur turns up with a submarine and gets told to bog off that will be interesting,,, enjoy your day.

4 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

{snipped}..... however if the Thais do manage to swing a large persuasion over the film industry we can at least look forward to trumpets and whistles...

Argh no! Not the whistles!

How the hell did a security guard get a part in the film?

Why can't they just leave it!!! Let the boys & coach try to readjust to "normal lives" again, it will be hard enough!!!  

Without Money Hungry Hollywood film Co's  being involved in their lives!! 

Gov't needs to stand up for the Boys, Coach & families, say "NO MOVIES" !! 

The blood sucking politicians and media are going to milk this one for all it's worth aren't they - the same all around the world particularly in western countries.

How about a new political party - "The Wild Boars"

4 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

And used Musk's mini-sub to bring them out, co-starring Musk as himself.

Why would they have a deer or an elephant in a cave?

Musk definition: a substance secreted in a glandular sac under the skin of the abdomen of the male musk deer, having a strong odor, and used in perfumery.

Musth defintion: a periodic condition in bull (male) elephants, characterized by highly aggressive behavior and accompanied by a large rise in reproductive hormones.

3 minutes ago, M71 said:

The blood sucking politicians and media are going to milk this one for all it's worth aren't they - the same all around the world particularly in western countries.

How about a new political party - "The Wild Boars"

Yes, but they'd need to amend the spelling: "The Wild Bores"

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Latest rumour is the culture ministry has already chosen the main characters for the film.

Lead role little p, main supporting actor Ole Fatty, 1 scene already deleted, Ole Fatty getting stuck in the narrow passage.:cheesy:

You are being very negative Colin. The production values enshrined in the planned level of Government involvement in the project, mean that we can look forward to a costume drama set in a ruthlessly sanitised period from the glory days of old Siam. The boys plight will be brought to the attention of a stern yet brave nobleman, by a winsome serving girl, for whom he has the raging hots - sorry I meant has a secret love - the former, as we all now never happened in those noble times. Venturing into the steaming jungles of Lanna, constantly hassled by evil Burmese ruffians clad in black pyjamas and sporting stick-on long straggly moustaches, our hero, helped by the winsome serving girl who it now appears is a suitably hi so orphan taken in by his father, rescue the boys from the cave, and emerge to the ecstatic applause of the local population, clad in an assortment of polyester traditional garments.

The closing titles will be accompanied by a sentimental yet rather martial ballad, penned by a mystery benefactor, and sung by a chorus of remarkably handsome soldiers with astonishingly white straight teeth.

I can't wait...

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

A little sad that they are thinking about money making from it already. On the one hand they are telling the press to stay away from the boys so they can recover from their ordeal, while talking to Hollywood about a movie at the same time. I would have thought a prerequisite was asking the family of the boys and Saman Kunan their thoughts on the matter.

What do you expect from a place that's God is money?

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

I take the deletion was extracting him from the narrow passage with the use of KY?

Archived