AIS - 6 month a 6 Mbps = 1800 baht

Hi, 

I found this package (pic) very affordable: 

7yzv5OJ.png

https://m.ais.co.th/ontop-package-myais

Is it just for me to buy a sim, top up 1800 and buy it? ? Any tax? Can't find a #Code to dial - anyone knows? (in case that link doesn't work)

Are there any other packages that are immediately more affordable than the above one? 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aldriglikvid; when I click on your link I get a different offer than the one you posted.  I get an offer of 599 baht for 30 days, a whooping 7,188 baht/year; not the best deal in town for the less than wealthy.  I bought the AIS Net Marathon SIM for 2,500 baht online (includes VAT).  It has 4 MBPS speed and is valid for 12 months with 1 baht/hour calling rate on AIS network for the first year.  I also like ordering it online as I can select a phone number that is easy for me to remember.  Here is the link for that; after the SIM card arrives you must take it to an AIS or Telewitz shop with your passport and register the number and then top up the SIM card to be able to make calls.

https://store.ais.co.th/th/sim-card/sim-net-marathon-2500-baht-4-mbps-12-months.html

I looked for a while on the AIS online site for the net top up offers and found them confusing.  I am glad I got the Net Marathon, but I don't know what happens for net service after one year, so I'll find out latter I guess.  Before that SIM I had the Dtac go phlearn net SIM card which was slow and very disappointing, so now I recommend AIS.

24 minutes ago, daocat555 said:

I am glad I got the Net Marathon, but I don't know what happens for net service after one year,

It turns into a normal AIS SIM, no extension is possible.

If you want more, you buy another NetMarathon SIM assuming the offer is still going.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

It turns into a normal AIS SIM, no extension is possible.

If you want more, you buy another NetMarathon SIM assuming the offer is still going.

If it turns into a normal SIM, then an extension is possible....if only for data.

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

True does something very similar at 4Mbs but they add VAT to the list price.

DTAC also does one, but I think theirs includes VAT in the advertised price.

All prices are quoted sans VAT.

7 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

If it turns into a normal SIM, then an extension is possible....if only for data.

But the cheapness has ended, why pay more?

(I've got the 6 months for 600bht NetMarathon in my second SIM slot, never used for anything but data)

NetMarathon SIM price includes VAT.

16 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Is it just for me to buy a sim, top up 1800 and buy it? ? Any tax? Can't find a #Code to dial - anyone knows? (in case that link doesn't work)

As others wrote: 1800 + 7% = 1926 Baht minimum credit on the SIM required.

I didn't find a code to dial for these big packages.

So you just go to the myais site, login with the phone number and the OTP code that you receive via SMS and then proceed and confirm.

About 300 Baht/month for 6 MBit/s?

Sounds reasonable to me.

This rate is fast enough to watch videos in good quality (720p?).

And of course video chatting etc.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

All prices are quoted sans VAT.

No, one of the suppliers definitely shows the VAT-inclusive price for at least one of its offers. It's printed on the SIM package. Cant remember which one though. It certainly is not True.

Thank you aldridlikvid and mtis2005. 

First I installed speedtest by Ookla and checked my speed with my 4 Mbps Net Marathon SIM card, getting a result of 1.58 Mbps download and 0.01 Mbps upload.  Then I  topped up my AIS SIM to 2,000 baht online via Kbank. Then I followed alddrid's link and clicked the middle tab per mtis's input.  I bought 6 months of 6 Mbps internet for 1,800 baht.

Then I ran the speedtest again and got a result of 2.68 Mbps download and 1.42 Mbps upload.  I'm impressed with that improvement.  Also I think that answers my question about what happens when the Net Marathon SIM card becomes one year old.  Nothing.  Because I am using the top up 6 Mbps for my internet plan now.

So then I turned WLAN back on and ran the test again using the WiFi in my complex, getting 12.8 Mbps download and 10.6 Mbps upload, which makes sense as WiFi would be expected to be faster.

I am not completely sure but I do not think that AIS charged me VAT on the 1,800 baht.  I think they just deducted 1,800 baht from my SIM's account balance. It's all still a bit confusing to me. But, hey, thanks again.  I am sure I just spent some money.  I think that I significantly improved my internet speed when I am away from my WiFi.  

By the way, is aldridlikvid your first or last name?  It's such a common name, you know.

Thanks for all the feedback guys ? Excellent. 

Last year I arrived at the airport and went to the AIS kiosk with the intention to buy a tourist sim, top up with a balance I had in mind and make them help me "activate" a internetpackage I had researched beforehand. 

There was a lot of "does not exist" and "can not do" "only have tourist package". Anyways, with some talking I asked them to just top up and I went online to google the codes my self. Luckily it went just fine. 

My Q's are: are there any downside to buying one of these "tourist sim" without any adjacent packages? Sim as a Sim, right? Is there something else I could ask for? 

Because, even if the previous mentioned idea of ordering online is very well intentioned I do need to get online ASAP. 

Thanks for all the feedback guys [emoji846] Excellent. 

Last year I arrived at the airport and went to the AIS kiosk with the intention to buy a tourist sim, top up with a balance I had in mind and make them help me "activate" a internetpackage I had researched beforehand. 

There was a lot of "does not exist" and "can not do" "only have tourist package". Anyways, with some talking I asked them to just top up and I went online to google the codes my self. Luckily it went just fine. 

My Q's are: are there any downside to buying one of these "tourist sim" without any adjacent packages? Sim as a Sim, right? Is there something else I could ask for? 

Because, even if the previous mentioned idea of ordering online is very well intentioned I do need to get online ASAP. 
I can't see any downside in fact its saving me 3500 baht a year, just get on with it

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

(I've got the 6 months for 600bht NetMarathon in my second SIM slot, never used for anything but data)

Hasn't ended. Just apply another 6 month data package for 642 baht.

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

No, one of the suppliers definitely shows the VAT-inclusive price for at least one of its offers. It's printed on the SIM package. Cant remember which one though. It certainly is not True.

SIM packaging and Internet websites aren't the same thing. 

We aren't referring to SIMs, but add-on packages. All are advertised sans VAT

Being in Jomtien I do know what "sans" is; it's that stuff that's all over the beach. However, the "all are advertised sans VAT" statement is clearly disproved by counter-example. The Net Marathon Sim is advertised with VAT. It might be true that some prices are advertised sans VAT.

I bought the add on package last night which is the subject of this topic and I believe I paid 1,800 baht for 6 months of 6 Mps service, not 1,926 baht.

Maybe AIS should call the three add on net packages slowest speed, medium speed, and fastest speed; not 1 Mbps, 4 Mbps, and 6 Mbps. Like I said last night my Net Marathon 4 Mbps SIM tested at 1.58 Mbps download, and after I upgraded to 6 Mbps it tested at 2.68 Mbps.

I just now ran the speedtest again and got a result of 4.52 Mbps.  I'm happy with that, just saying that I'm not actually getting 6 Mbps.  I guess phone hardware, distance to tower, winds blowing the sans of the beach; all sorts of factors come into play to determine the actual speed at any given time.

All internet package rates that I ever used are ex. VAT as it clearly stated on the AIS site.

All minute call rates are ex. VAT as it clearly stated on the AIS site.

Aside from that all monthly ISP rates (internet) are ex. VAT (my 750 internet is actually 803).

Never seen a telecom/internet rate advertised incl. VAT.

So yours must be special (I could not check those big 1800 Baht package e.g.)

4 hours ago, daocat555 said:
Being in Jomtien I do know what "sans" is; it's that stuff that's all over the beach. However, the "all are advertised sans VAT" statement is clearly disproved by counter-example. The Net Marathon Sim is advertised with VAT. It might be true that some prices are advertised sans VAT.

I bought the add on package last night which is the subject of this topic and I believe I paid 1,800 baht for 6 months of 6 Mps service, not 1,926 baht.

Maybe AIS should call the three add on net packages slowest speed, medium speed, and fastest speed; not 1 Mbps, 4 Mbps, and 6 Mbps. Like I said last night my Net Marathon 4 Mbps SIM tested at 1.58 Mbps download, and after I upgraded to 6 Mbps it tested at 2.68 Mbps.

I just now ran the speedtest again and got a result of 4.52 Mbps.  I'm happy with that, just saying that I'm not actually getting 6 Mbps.  I guess phone hardware, distance to tower, winds blowing the sans of the beach; all sorts of factors come into play to determine the actual speed at any given time.

I'm happy it worked out for you. To prepare my Airport arrival next week - did you activate the package by the link I provided or did you find a #number-#-to-#press-#and-#call? ? Or, did you activate the package in another way? Thanks! 

On 7/21/2018 at 4:23 AM, daocat555 said:

Once again.....

SIM packaging and Internet websites aren't the same thing. 
We aren't referring to SIMs, but add-on packages. All are advertised sans VAT 

Packages sans VAT. SIM, VAT included. 

SIM are quoted VAT inclusive. Packages, VAT excluded. If you believe that you were charged 1800 baht for the six month package, what proof do you have of this? What sustains your belief? Any facts there?

It would be odd if some of the packages on the same page were VAT free whilst others were not, wouldn't it?

Easy enough to calculate from what you have topped up, to what you have remaining. I think you will find that you were charged 1926 baht.

Were you were topping up an existing Marathon SIM?

Not good that you aren't getting the promised speeds.

I used to until recently, when they had a problem in my particular location. Then my 10 Mbps package start pulling down 2 Mbps instead of 10 Mbps. 

I was being polite KneeDeep and you're being waist deep in it, and rude, so I'll reply.

One the following site I can access my AIS account, exactly how much I spend, what plans i have, etc.

From that site I will copy and print here:

MaoMao 1800Baht 6Mbps 6Months

Signup date : 20 July 2018 19:17:56
Usage cycle : 20 July 2018 - 20 January 2019

I have double checked exactly what AIS deducted from my SIM and it was exactly 1,800 baht baht and it was not 1,926 baht.  I draw the line at lending you my mobile so that you can log in to my AIS account and check this for yourself. so, yawn, you'll probable say I haven't proved my point. 

Yes, I was topping up an existing Marathon 4 Mbps SIM, as I mentioned before.

"All are advertised sans VAT" has been disproved by counter-example.  Which is to say when you say "all are" and I show you where, even one isn't, your statement becomes false.  You want a second opinion?  Your statements are becoming  tedious as well.

So, for now, it seems as though the six and twelve month packages on AIS may have net pricing. Two confirmations of the 6 month 6 Mbps package on this forum so far. 

In fact, I have read as much on Pantip, but erred on the side of caution.

Though one stated they applied direct through an App. Not sure if there is any difference between using the App and any other method. 

In fact, girlfriend insisted that she couldn't apply for the 1 Mbps 6 month account with only 620 baht on account, but I'm not so sure that she applied properly at that time.

On 7/20/2018 at 3:19 PM, BritManToo said:

How do you find the speed at 1mbps, are you able to stream youtube and line/FB messenger?

5 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Without sounding cheeky s it possible to do a quick test please, I would like to get 1mps but occasionally need to stream Youtube.

Thanks

Played 'Despacito' from Youtube app.

Streamed OK at 240, 360, 480 stuttered once/minute,  720 stuttered frequently.

Archived