TAEM urges Thais to live a healthy lifestyle

webfact

TAEM urges Thais to live a healthy lifestyle

PNSOC610719001001501.jpg

BANGKOK, 20th July 2018 (NNT) - The Thai Association for Emergency Medicine (TAEM) convened an academic meeting this week, with the aim of promoting a healthy lifestyle among Thai people. 

The meeting was co-hosted by the association, the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, the Ministry of Education and the Thai Health Promotion Foundation. More than 300 medical personnel and academics attended the meeting. 

According to TAEM President Dr. San Hatthirat, Thailand has the third largest aging population in Asia after South Korea and Japan. Although the elderly live longer nowadays, many of them suffer from illnesses that stem from an unhealthy lifestyle and a lack of proper care. 

In 2017, 8 million elderly people were deemed healthy while 3 million others were bed-ridden. In addition, an average of 25 million people in Thailand require medical attention each year. 

The association and its allies are determined to reduce the number of patients and encourage Thais to quit smoking, exercise regularly, eat low-sodium foods and maintain a healthy weight. 

A resuscitation training program will be introduced in schools to teach students life-saving skills so that they can save lives or pass on the knowledge to others in their families.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-07-20

Thats going to be a tough fight. many Thais are still in the process of educating themselves on the problems associated with modern life and prosperity. Exercise is frowned upon as low class, fat children are shown off as well fed, and what were once food treats are now daily diet. High blood pressure and diabetes are endemic even in the farming community. The 200m trip on the m'bike to a shop or market is everywhere and will take a big effort to halt.

58 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Thais are not smart enough to be health conscious 

Tell that to the multitudes of Thais who run at Chatuchak Park everyday and I assume the other parks. I run there at least 5 times a week and many regulars there. There aren't too many fit foreigners running there though.

1 hour ago, Darcula said:

PNSOC610719001001501.jpg

Is that the poster boy for a healthy lifestyle at extreme right?

He's a late entrant, realising he needs to 'shape up' having just read the article:

3 hours ago, webfact said:

...while 3 million others were bed-ridden. In addition, an average of 25 million people in Thailand require medical attention each year. 

Oh i have seen Thais way of thinking for a healthy lifestyle Lay around all day and drink don't work and look for food in garbage bins. Will take some talking to change this lifestyle?  My dear wife told me something interesting the other day The average life expectancy of a Thai Male is 55. I would say cancer of the liver would be a big killer here from drinking too much and not working

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Tell that to the multitudes of Thais who run at Chatuchak Park everyday and I assume the other parks. I run there at least 5 times a week and many regulars there. There aren't too many fit foreigners running there though.

People you meet while exercising are the exception, not the rule

Diabetes will continue to rise. Many adults have no idea of their blood sugar levels and any current statistics are invariably lower than reality. The root cause remains unabated: too much sugar and carbohydrates(mainly rice) in the daily diet. This is exacerbated by the "supplementing" with sugary drinks and fast food. The Thai diet is damaging enough, and the added impact of adopting "over-nutrition" foods will lead to more health issues.

3 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

People you meet while exercising are the exception, not the rule

I was also a member of one of the Jett Gyms until recently and that was busy during the day and packed at nights and they cant be all non-thais? Afraid your point of view isnt supported by what i see but feel free to have your own opinion.

Archived