Thailand mortgages a rip off - 12% interest rates compare to 1% in Europe

webfact

Thailand mortgages a rip off - 12% interest rates compare to 1% in Europe

4PM.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A lecturer at Thammasat University has questioned why Thai mortgages for house buyers are so much more than in many other countries.

In Germany the interest rates are barely 1%, the UK 1.49% and even some other Asian countries under 2%.

And yet Thailand is at 12% - on a par with economically strapped Zimbabwe.

Dr Satsatharam Thammabusadee said that with long repayment terms Thais were paying almost twice as much for their houses as the list price.

He said a 4 million baht house would set buyers back 7.3 million on a 30 year mortgage.

Thai Rath said in their story that owning a home was the dream of many Thais. But that such interest rates were counterproductive and putting people off the idea.

Some manage to get their mortgages at 6%, they said, but that was not the norm.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-20

Well its' been 4yrs but I find 12 % a bit much - I was paying 9 % through a developer 

But I find Thais interest rates aren't what they mention

EG: A car at 2.5 % is actually 5% 

Forgot to mention : It has to do with internal forces

Europe is going down the drain hole, so they lower the rate for people to spend.

But the Thai Gov is spending bucket loads & keeping their currency

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

SCB, TMB and BKB charge 6%.

Where does he get 12% from?

Good  question, and in the topic about teachers in debt they talked about between 5 and 7 % so maybe he is exaggerating and maybe comparing wrong things. If you compare long term interest with short term you will get nice differences too. It is often a full 1% more expensive to do long term compared to short 1 year variable interest. 

I cannot believe any bank in the West is giving mortgages at

1%,where is the profit in that,even if they gave 0 % interest,

still not even enough to cover the risks for the Banks.

Just checked UK rates,1.70 % as an offer to start then

rises to 3.70 % which is the real rate.

regards Worgeordie

The rich take complacency and take as much as they can from it.  They would use 20% but that wouldn't work because people would protest in the street or simply not borrow. 

Or would they? 

The interest rate is set at the complacency level of the time.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Top 5 countries with the lowest mortgage rates

Ranking Country Average fixed mortgage rate, %
1 Japan 1.68
2 Switzerland 1.75
3 Finland 1.83
4 Germany 1.90
5 Luxembourg 2.00
Sources: Numbeo, Tranio

4 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

1 Japan 1.68
2 Switzerland 1.75
3 Finland 1.83
4 Germany 1.90
5 Luxembourg 2.00

I was correct then no Western banks are offering 1 % interest rates on Mortgages 

regards worgeordie

44 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I was correct then no Western banks are offering 1 % interest rates on Mortgages 

regards worgeordie

And no Thai bank is charging 12% interest on a home loan.

In other words, like all other Thai research/proclamations/announcements, complete BS.

Wonder what they will discover looking at plastic in the North Pole?

1 hour ago, Chris Lawrence said:

1 Japan 1.68
2 Switzerland 1.75
3 Finland 1.83
4 Germany 1.90
5 Luxembourg 2.00

Or 1.5% fixed for 30 years in Denmark

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-08/extreme-rates-test-record-in-world-s-biggest-covered-bond-market

Back in 1984 I was paying about 7% on my mortgage and by 1987 I was paying over 15% and my house was in negative equity. Look back to then and see what happens when house prices crash. There were yuppies who paid a fortune for an apartment in Docklands dumping the keys to their apartments at the lenders because they couldn't afford the mortgage to be told, that if it can be sold and we get less than the loan back with interest, you still have no apartment and will become liable for the difference

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

In Germany they start with 0.69%

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said a 4 million baht house would set buyers back 7.3 million on a 30 year mortgage

Lacking a few minor details here as usual. As much as I like this guys intentions and raising awareness on this broad issue, it just highlights the complete lack of understanding of borrowing money.

They have no clue here about interest or term, or how they both accrue to an actual repayment cost. None at all.

It's tragic.

Where da 12% come from? Yup, a bit of  BS research results eh.

Had a mortgage  with  Bangkok bank for 12.5 years, yr1 3% yr2 4.25% yr3 4.75% then to MLR which for the last  9 odd years has floated  between about 5.75% and 7% and last 2 or 3 years stuck at  6.25%. To me fair and seems justified.

A  mortgage in the late eighties in the UK started out at 7.5% then quickly went all the way up to 13.4% in 89 I think (housing crisis) leaving me living on beans on toast for 2 years as it went down oh soooo slowly.

In sum, this guy is talking poo and tbh you cannot compare across economies when it comes to MLR etc. Each country and its government 'should' set it thus to ensure their economy prospers, mortgage rates being one of those important factors.

No idea, where you got the Dutch mortgage rates from. My idea: 2,4% comes first. 

Still a dramatic difference with Thailand. Normally in the interest rate the inflation and/or depreciation expectations of a currency is calculated in.

1 hour ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

In Germany they start with 0.69%

But starting offers on a home loan isn't actually the going rate, or meaningful in any way.

If it were then my Thai home loan counts in at 2% (for the first year).

On my receipt from SCB today, it says 6.12%

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

In other words, like all other Thai research/proclamations/announcements, complete BS.

Yes they do ! Why people think they know this matter better than a professor who researched this matter.....

I ask to simulate a loan at SCB , they stated 7,5%, but they forget to tell that they don't cut on capital the entire time of the mortgage , So a simulation on an loan of 3.400.000 on 25 year ended up it monthly payments of 41.000 for 300 Month SO EASY CALCULATE........ 300 % or 1%/month SO YES the do charge the full 12 %. 

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

whatever but "it  wont  affect  Thailand as they are far  away"

1 hour ago, ikke said:

Yes they do ! Why people think they know this matter better than a professor who researched this matter.....

I ask to simulate a loan at SCB , they stated 7,5%, but they forget to tell that they don't cut on capital the entire time of the mortgage , So a simulation on an loan of 3.400.000 on 25 year ended up it monthly payments of 41.000 for 300 Month SO EASY CALCULATE........ 300 % or 1%/month SO YES the do charge the full 12 %. 

The current stated SCB rate is 6.12%, you must be getting a special 'foreigner price'

(or something other than their normal home loan rate, business loan maybe?)

You should try http://www.hughcalc.org/genloan.cgi to calculate yourself.

SCB statements show interest rate, interest repayment, capital repayment and outstanding amount every month.

(your loan works out at paid in 10 years using 3.4M, 41k, SCB 6.12%, 1M total interest)

How do I know better? I have a SCB home loan.

Here we go

https://www.scb.co.th/content/dam/scb/personal-banking/rates-fees/loans/loans-en.pdf

MLR (secured loan) 6.1%, Business loan 11.4%

Archived