'Mass casualty incident' after Missouri tourist boat capsizes

webfact

'Mass casualty incident' after Missouri tourist boat capsizes

2018-07-20T041242Z_2_LYNXMPEE6J07M_RTROPTP_3_MISSOURI-BOAT.JPG

Rescue personnel are senn after an amphibious "duck boat" capsized and sank, at Table Rock Lake near Branson, Stone County, Missouri, U.S. July 19, 2018 in this still image obtained from a video on social media. SOUTHERN STONE COUNTY FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT/Facebook/via REUTERS

(Reuters) - An amphibious vehicle capsized on a lake in Missouri with more than 20 people on board, leading to a "mass casualty incident," the Southern Stone County Fire Protection District said on Thursday.

Several people were taken to hospital following the incident on the "Ride the Ducks" amphibious vehicle on Table Rock Lake, Stone County, near Branson, Missouri, the fire district said in posts on Twitter.

Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader said there were fatalities when the boat carrying 31 people, some of them children, capsized and sank, television station KY3 News reported.

Rader said he did not know how many people were killed and divers were on the scene searching for passengers, KY3 News reported.

The Stone County Sheriff's Office could not immediately confirm the report.

Ride The Ducks, a company in Branson, Missouri, that operates amphibious duck vehicles in the area, did not respond immediately to a request for comment.

Duck amphibious vehicles have been involved in a number fatal accidents around the world in the past two decades, with some sinking or being swamped or others colliding with vehicles.

(Reporting by Andrew Hay in Taos, New Mexico; Editing by Sandra Maler and Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-20

At least eight killed as 'duck boat' capsizes in Missouri: police

By Andrew Hay

2018-07-20T041242Z_2_LYNXMPEE6J07L_RTROPTP_3_MISSOURI-BOAT.JPG

Rescue personnel work after an amphibious "duck boat" capsized and sank, at Table Rock Lake near Branson, Stone County, Missouri, U.S. July 19, 2018 in this still image obtained from a video on social

(Reuters) - At least eight people drowned when an amphibious "duck boat" capsized and sank in stormy weather on a lake in Missouri with 31 people on board, police said on Thursday, and divers were searching for other possible victims.

Seven people were taken to hospital following the incident on the "Ride the Ducks" amphibious vehicle on Table Rock Lake, near Branson, Missouri, Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader told reporters.

"We have eight confirmed fatalities," Rader said in a televised media briefing. "We do have some people still missing."

Emergency crews responded to the incident shortly after 7 p.m. (0000 GMT) after thunderstorms rolled through the area, the fire district said on Twitter.

Ride The Ducks, a company in Branson, Missouri, that operates amphibious duck vehicles in the area, did not respond immediately to a request for comment.

Duck amphibious vehicles are used on tourist sightseeing tours around the world and have been involved in a number fatal accidents in the past two decades.

The company that builds ducks, Ride the Ducks International LLC, agreed in 2016 to pay a $1 million fine after one of the vehicles collided with a bus in Seattle, killing five international students.

The company admitted to failing to comply with U.S. vehicle manufacturing rules.

(Reporting by Andrew Hay in Taos, New Mexico; Editing by Sandra Maler and Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-20

I have always wondered how the duck boats could get a coi (certificate of inspection) that’s a much higher bar to pass than a regular coast guard inspection that being said at least the operator tried to keep her head to weather(bow) to the wind swell the vessel wasn’t seaworthy enough for conditions a very sad incident rip to all who lost their lives

I have always wondered how the duck boats could get a coi (certificate of inspection) that’s a much higher bar to pass than a regular coast guard inspection that being said at least the operator tried to keep her head to weather(bow) to the wind swell the vessel wasn’t seaworthy enough for conditions a very sad incident rip to all who lost their lives

Sorry for the off-topic comment.

I really like your comments on most of the topics, like this one.

That said, I would press the like button much more if you would use punctuation.

P.S.: I would normally PM you about that but don't know how to do that on the phone app, everybody please forgive me.

[emoji120]

Sent from my ASUS_X008D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The picture shown at the start of the thread is NOT what the weather and water conditions were like.  Check the interweb and you will see a heck of a lot of chop and wind.  Just flat out stupid and negligent to be out on the water at that time. 

Archived